DVDs and subtitles

swithun

DVDs and subtitles

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Last night the film was Accion Mutante - in Spanish with English subtitles. The trouble was that the menu where you could choose subtitles was not there. And there is no remote, so subtitles can't be enabled while the film is in play.
So I went into the settings and made English subtitles come on by default.

I have quite often got requests from non-native speakers for subtitles, so this is not a bad thing, even if the film isn't foreign.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 pm

does this mean that, in all films, english subtitles will come on no matter what. if that is the case - that is kind of annoying - isn't it?

milk

Post by milk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:20 pm

+1 for subtitles always on. good for hard of hearing (myself included when it comes to speech when there's a lot of other stuff happening around) and esl peeps.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Newington Bandit

Post by Newington Bandit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:29 pm

I like the subtitle always on too, great when English is not your native language, makes it much easier

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Good points. Maybe slightly annoying for us, but not as annoying as not being able to understand the film...

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 pm

If someone is putting on a film which is in English and which has a proper DVD menu, then the subtitles can be switched off there. It will only be English language films without menus which will have their subtitles on (if they have any) and no way to turn them off without going into the settings.

Having subtitles on when not needed might be a bit annoying (if you are annoyed at petty things), but not having subtitles when you do need them is annoying.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 am

There's a lot of people in the forest who might appreciate having the subtitles on, it's not really a big deal!
however, does anyone else find that they read the subtitles when they are on, even if you understand whats being said? I just can't help myself....but I can ignore the sign reading bloke on late night TV...weird.
It's like God's vagina!

pockets

Post by pockets » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 am

the buttons on the front of the dvd player are like up down left and right , so you can select it.
PLAYBOY POCKETS!