web page updating

martinmckenna

web page updating

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 am

hello all

Here is all the info i have for the up and coming shows there is at the mo some info missing about potlatch , once its complete it needs to be pasted into the current upcoming show page and the proper format added ( i like the way alice has done the present one so maybe we should keep it in that format), when its ready to go . Check the dates too , i may be wrong < a bit about the present show would be good too, if we are fast , i could scan the flyer in

the next shows are helens of which i have no info on , then alices and then the freeshop , it wont be much to chase this up

For what i understand of the site , we can edit existing pages but we can create new ones , for this we need publishing rights So at the moment we
can at least keep the Current and upcoming show up to date ,

Potlatch 1/14 Oct

Ola Rek |15/28 Oct

Drawing on the imagery of nature and folklore, Ola Rek's installations evoke the tranquil yet uncanny atmosphere of a woodland setting. For this show, the remains of trees and plants will be relocated within the gallery to create a contained bubble of organic forms. In forcing these natural artefacts to exist outwith their usual environment Rek simultaneously forces the gallery patrons to reconsider their own.

Mike Bowdidge | 29 Oct/11 Nov

Mike Bowdidge uses found objects to extemporize large assemblages, structures which evolve from a direct interaction with the materials at hand. In "Lost and Found" the Artist sets out on a series of unexpected artistic departures and arrivals, which at most may shed some dim light on the reasons for making the journey in the first place

Lucy Macdonald/ Gregory Barrow |12/25 Nov

Lucy Macdonald and Gregory Barrow, Both undergraduate painters based in Glasgow, use varied platforms to explore relationships between painting, the image and the real. This investigation comes about through the deliberate distortion and disruption of both image and formal convention.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:27 pm

i ve updated the page a bit only to include the current show , i will postt the old info here as a record of what has been , so it dont get lost

July

Kate v. Robertson| Monument

2nd-15th July

closing event saturday 14th july

The third solo exhibition from Glasgow-based artist Kate V. Robertson, uses interconnected video and installation pieces to examine the way neon-laden, entertainment-driven contemporary life imprints itself upon pre-existing architecture.
The exhibition looks at the significance of permanent memorials to mourning and death as successive generations reinterpret the city. The exhibition continues the artist’s fascination with social geography, decay and preservation.

Philip Ewe| shame on you

16th July- 3rd August

closing event friday 3rd august

Having just graduated in photography, Philip Ewe will be churning up his old work into a collage he will create during the exhibition. He will also embroil passerby into helping and becoming part of the work.

August

What They Could Do They Did

5th-12th August

We do not know what they will do but the building will be theirs. Visit their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/what_they_could

Jessie Buchanan|Hansel and Gretel

17th-15th August

A gingerbread house will appear in the gallery as part of Jessie's exploration of childhood myths.

Midday to Midnight Duet

18th and 19th August

A 12hour continuous contact improvisation duet interacting with drawings by Aaron Mcclusky that he will create in the space.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:06 am

Any page can be changed, added, deleted.
We can make new pages and sections if you want.
Also sub menus!

Here's the menu at the moment.
Art Gallery

- Total Kunst

- Current & Future Exhibtions

- Past Exhibitions

- Bristo Gallery

- West Port Gallery

- Submissions
I had a quick look through it now and the big problem is archiving all the good things that have been on. We need to set up a system where it will be easily done... For example Past Exhibitions only has two in it, and the two galleries are full of good pictures but lots of gaps in the archive.

Have a quick look through the pages and see what is good and what is not.
If you could have an ideal set-up what would it be?

Then we change the menu and then the content is up to you guys....
the more you think, the more you stink

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 am

thanks for the reply gaz

Yeah the image archiving is a bit of a problem ,

what i was thinking of doing was linking the past shows section to the image gallery , sort of bridging the gap . If we could split the jobs it could be done , someone to do the photos and someone to do the past shows bit .

on what we have already have i have no clue , as i was not around , but ryan was thinking about a book about the gallery and compiling all the stuff for that , so i guess it could be part of that project ,

also the current event section has had less hits then the past shows bit or more particularly the show face bit , not really sure why that is , but maybe its the title ,in that in the menu it has become malformed . so maybe have it exhibitions >sub menu past exhibitions and current and future .

thats all i can think of at the mo ,

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:38 pm

ok ive updated the web page with what ive got at the mo , the past exhibtions need to be done better , we need the flyers and some pics of the shows , has any one got them ? also any other info on the upcoming events need to be put up too , i dont mind doing it , things we need is the name of the shows and when the closing party's are .

to Gaz
the past shows bit is a bit odd , as its structure is different for the current and present shows , i take it we have to submit them as new content and then get them published ?, currently ive just put the stuff in an existing one, not ideal, any ideas ? .

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:11 pm

i just added the info about potlatch.

so that just leaves helen's show, alice's show and the free shop.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:17 pm

nice one !

alice

Post by alice » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:56 am

Wow it's all go.

I think the website is much better already, it at least is evidence that we actually have exhibitions.

The main thing seems to be linking up images to the past exhibitions section and maybe the division of 'westport' and 'bristo' is a bit confusing for people new to the forest.

Gareth can we meet you and sort these little bits out once and for all? Hows about Monday at 6? or is that too late?

I should be able to dig out information on the shows that happened before July as well. I'll put it up when I do
xx

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:40 am

alice it would be good if you can get the old info ,

on monday am going to a talk at the furitmarket Penny Lewis ,Cardoss Seminary , at 6.30 , if any one is interested , am avilable before between 3.30 . and 6

alice

Post by alice » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 am

thats fine with me

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 am

can we do 4.30?

my suggestion for archive...

Have a section called 'Archive'
Then have sub menus for each year.
Each year will have a page with a list of exhibitons with whatever pictures and info we have for each one.
You use the same format for the current exhibitions section but once it's happened you more it over to the archive section.

So we could get it down to 4 sections

TotalKunst
What's On
Archive
Submissions

alice

previous exhibitions

Post by alice » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:18 pm

December
Dazzlement| Curator: Alice Myers

Artists Rocca Gutteridge, Nika Kupyrova, Barry Murphy, Line Kjellerup, Alice Myers, Stephen Ackroyd and David Williams produce work about the feeling of being blinded or paralysed by the amount and enormity of information in the world.

January
Luke Drozd and Andy Moore| All Hail! Art!

Leeds based artists call in on their rock-band style art tour bringing defaced kitsch and watercolour challenge.

February
Simon Green| Head Eats Circles. In Cirlces Head it Eats. Tenement Dwellings, Falling Over Backwards and the Distance Between how Near I Stand to You

Dark and funny drawings of imaginary spaces and characters with a hint of the everyday. Stephen also showed several short films which deal with similarly strange places and events: pigeon fanciers meet synchronised swimmers and superstitious sea-men.

March
Mikey Krummins|
Graphic combination of collage and drawing from an Edinburgh based artist

April
Carolann Alexander| Shepard of a Doormouse

New work by Edinburgh based artist.

May
Jacob Bee| Luna Park

Jacob Bee explores a sense of cultural, ecological and architectural layering. In this work delicate almost translucent drawings collide with geometric forms. Hinting at memories lost and reflecting on a sentiment of modern experience, whilst combining urban and natural imagery to give a stratum effect, like deposits of sediment on a riverbed.

OFFSITE EXHIBITION
Jungle Island Triumphant| Organisers Tom Crowley and Alice Myers
27th May

15 artists converged on wild, tidal Cramond Island, each producing site specific work for one of the bunkers left from the Second World War. A swanky evening viewing was followed by much dancing by those trapped when the tide came up.

June
Katinka Goldberg| Photographs

Katinka arranged a wall full of moving and beautiful photographs about herself and her mother. She says: ‘I photograph the things that happen between us and the things that don’t happen’.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm

good job gaz !

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:00 pm

hi gaz

its seems as if we cannot edited the new parts , there is no wee note pad and pen icon .

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm

hold on....

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:18 pm

ok that's done.

you're in control of all sections now (except the flash one)

all sections are the same so no more silver bars.

make sure you put all content in the top box of the two.

good luck with the archiving.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:24 pm

thanks gaz

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:08 pm

have a look at 2004 as an example of how it could work.

i reckon it looks good. some more info would be good if people can find anything....

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 pm

yeah a cross between 2004 and 2007 would be good , i did a link using the text but i think its better to use the images like the one you did ,

martin

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:18 pm

excellent job, all.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 pm

ok stuck a image and a link on too , i guess this is going to be an ongoing project of tweeking and feedback,

gaz did you just copy and paste those item into 2004 ?

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:49 pm

i opened two windows, select and drag over.

sometimes it doesn't let you copy and paste.

it would be good to copy all the photos in the bristo gallery section to the appropriate year and then we can delete that section.

alice

Post by alice » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm

yipeee it looks great. we can do anything now. thanks gareth!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 pm

ok we here now !

but there is still quite a lot to do ,

gaz , ive found a book in the total kunst draw with records of sorts of the past shows , i think its the west port gallery . its a start !

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 pm

it seems as if we can upload photos to the site via images/upload gallery on the top menu bar ,not sure if we then can link to them . ive tested it with a david ike picture

this would be a great way to get photos on the site as anybody could do it , what do you think ?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm

a flyer[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:08 pm

hello

currently the web site is very hard to update , i keep getting an error that the script is unresponsive ,also steve is having the same the problem anyone knows what going on or how to fix it ?

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:49 am

someone really needs to speak to Pogo about this. Someone in the office will have his email.
It's like God's vagina!

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:41 am

Pogo's work on the site has been really amazing, but from what little I've learned our site though easy to use if you know how is kinda complex, it runs on pretty powerful software. That's fine when the person who set it up is around to guide things. And pogo really did try for a long time to get others to learn from him when he was still around, but maybe it didn't work very well. Could the forest do with a much simpler, less ambitious website? If not quite plain HTML, something like a simple wiki or blog, running only simple software.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm

the site is quite easy to use , most of the visual arts people know how to update it and we where doing quite well with it , but it seems as if something has gone wrong with the site , ill pm pogo about it

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:20 pm

i'll have a look at it later today.

it could be something simple like not saving the page properly and it gets locked.

the website is good. it can handle pictures, music players, paypal shop and so on....let's not change it. let's just keep improving it.

what's good about it is that people can become a member and look after certain pages. and it is easy when you know how.

if we want to discuss the website further let's do it in the web forum.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm

yes i think we should keep improving it , and also if people need to know how to use it we should have workshops on it

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:08 pm

martin, are you editing the website at the mo?

i'm trying to update some stuff but am getting that error message again.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:14 pm

it may be its locked . i did edit it a while ago

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:16 pm

how do i fix it?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:23 pm

is not letting you edit it at all , if so gaz or ryan have to fix it. sorry this was me again i have no luck with this web site