Scribus Open source

Gandhi

Scribus Open source

Post by Gandhi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 am

Anyone know how to use Scribus the open source desktop publisher (like Quark Express)? Would like to learn as I'm becoming fonder and fonder of these open source thingies. Is it any good?

I now use Gimp instead of paying a fortune for a new version of Photoshop and think it's great. yay for open source. Although the open source video editor Jahshaka is shite!
So anyone who knows a few things and could answer any questions I have once I start playing around with Scribus would be a legend.
It's like God's vagina!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:45 am

i know a bit about it , i ve used to design a few things for the forest

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:23 pm

is it any good?
It's like God's vagina!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:27 pm

yes very good , the events book would not exist without it .

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:27 am

There may be other video editors that are better than jokosher or whatever.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 am

i personally think blender is becoming the best video editor ive used on linux ..

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 am

Ok so I downloaded the program and Ghostscript, but I can't find the install files in the Ghostcript zip files. Am i just sposed to expand the zip file into the Scribus file directory (in Program files) or is there an install file. Any help much appreciated. Remember I'm on a windows computer not linux (sorry linux users).

i also tried using it without ghostscript, just to have a look at it, and when trying to enlarge a picture file, it said that Gimp was not found, but it is installed!, am I missing a file or something. Can you not enlarge images in Scribus?
Also i tried typing a few sentences into a text box, but the sentences were overlapping and it just looked a mess! (this might be something to do with ghostscipt? or is that just for exporting to pdf?) sorry about all the questions and I would love to come in and spend a couple of hours with someone going through it, but I'm unbelievably busy sorting out business stuff.

The reason i wanted to use Scribus is that i have to get 1000 brochures printed. I designed them in Gimp, but stumbled upon Scribus and looked as if i could get better results from it.

I do understand that a lot of these programmes are designed around Linux users but i spent 3 years learning programmes based around windows and at the time I don't have time to start doing things the Linux way, but i am slowly being tempted that way. :D
It's like God's vagina!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:24 am

for me it all works together better on ubuntu , but thats what am use to . it may that you have to tell it where your photo editing programs .exe file is .You can set this in preferences . scribus does not edit photos nor is it a word processor. its just for layout .all these other things should be done else where.

i tend to get the text in txt format then import it . unless it small bits that i just type in . photos , i tent to prepare photos in gimp first . you can adjust the size of an image in scribus , via properties , select image and click scale image to frame size .

The text problem is you leading setting , the distance between the lines . this can be set in properties . right click/properties . here you will find all the setting for text . this is where scribus comes into its own . as the text setting are far more advance than any other program and hence why i use it .

have fun

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 am

thanks martin
It's like God's vagina!