'Working' in the cave

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
chombee

'Working' in the cave

Post by chombee » Sat May 10, 2008 10:42 pm

I just remembered I was night managing on Thursday night and I had a number of people try to take free sandwiches and cakes because they said they were 'working' in the cave. Instead of asking, they just walk into the kitchen and try to take the food. Then when I stop them they give me a story designed to make me feel unsure of myself about how they've been working in the cave for x number of hours and they feel they need some food. It's not nice to deny someone their meal after they may have been volunteering for the forest. I later found out that there was a jam in the cave that night. Is this 'work' jamming?

Also two girls dodging corkage that night turned out to be cave users. They told me they were just finishing off their bottle of wine while waiting for the bus and were very determined to dodge their way out of it when I asked them to pay or leave. I gave up eventually since they really did have only the end of their bottle left. After they finished it I saw them go down into the cave. I meant to talk to them but I forgot/didn't see them come back up.

I suggest if anyone is working in the cave or anywhere else that is not the kitchen and has earned food that they be given a meal card, so there is no confusion caused by people confidently striding into the kitchen and taking food that they claim they've earned. They'll be doing this when night managers are on because they know the night managers don't know everything that's going on and they can get away with it.

NMs, watch out on Thursdays, I have a feeling this is an ongoing thing, like the previous jams and tea making and mess leaving that would happen in the cafe after close on certain nights, with people telling the night manager they were allowed to be there.

Oh yeah, and another corkage dodge is that people say they're not in the forest but at the event upstairs in the hall and just want to use the corkscrew. I say no way, they can have a corkscrew upstairs if they're doing that.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun May 11, 2008 6:33 pm

the person organizing the jam can get a free bit of food. no-one else. jamming is not work - we are donating a resource to people who need a place to meet / play outside their homes etc. it is sheer greed to be expected to be fed for a free workshop.

who is in charge of the jam workshop now?
r

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Good question. Someone needs to be responsible in there.

pockets

Post by pockets » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm

usually fudge is in charge but when he cant make it, he gets me.
PLAYBOY POCKETS!

nospoons

Re: 'Working' in the cave

Post by nospoons » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:00 pm

wow

normally happen the other way round, ie not getting the discount/freestuff when you have been volunteering, or paying differant amounts each time.

I gave up in the end
censorship with a cunt