Main Cafe

Front of House, garden etc.
bryony

Main Cafe

Post by bryony » Mon May 26, 2008 3:11 pm

What do people think about giving the main cafe space a bit of a make over? It's looking a bit worn in places and it's been a wee while, some fresh paint work would be nice.

simone

Post by simone » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 am

yes, it would be good to make it look prettier for the summer and festival. i'm happy to help out.

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 am

great idea..
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Faith and I were thinking stripes on the main wall awhile back. Also up for helping with this.

rosie

Post by rosie » Wed May 28, 2008 1:43 pm

i agree... i think the place is looking a bit weary, feeling small- when tears are in your eyes, i will dry them all. ahhhhhhhh.
no really- i'm up for helping with a face-lift and spring clean ready for summer.maybe some new cushions- does the forest still have a sewing machine? that works? x

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Right, it is time to revive Front of House. Technically it's part of cafe and events, but I think it needs its own meeting to get things going. I know a bunch of the EVS volunteers are keen on this stuff too, so I suggest they bottomline things as one of their projects. They are already starting on new fabric for some of the chairs and there are some new lampshades being made as well. I think we'll go to Bits and Bobs, renew our membership, and get some cheap recycled material.

How about Monday at 7pm???

Not sure if we have a machine that works right now. I think mine/Sean's is kicking around and might just need a little love. Swithun has one which he may let us borrow.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu May 29, 2008 11:09 am

I can't make 7 on Monday. But if someone who I know is sensible and responsible is going to be there, then I'm OK with my machine being used. I could probably come along just before and give someone a refresher course. Maybe I'll have time to look at Sean's and Shannon's beast. But I remember it smoking and making nasty noises.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 29, 2008 1:29 pm

I forgot about the smoke! Oh dear.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri May 30, 2008 1:11 pm

What become of the old VW camper van Bill was offering?
Pep Up The Turmoil

bryony

Post by bryony » Sat May 31, 2008 11:10 am

Think we should wait until after the next cafe and events meeting. Lots of people are interested and everyone should get ample opportunity to contribute.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat May 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Well, apparently Nix has already gone to the VA working group and had something agreed for the walls(?!)

My idea for Monday was to get some ideas going, maybe start work on the chairs, and then present the ideas to cafe and events.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat May 31, 2008 12:31 pm

the feeling at the va meeting was since not many people who where interested on doing foh house where at the meeting . we would leave it to them that where interested in it to organise it . nix and carlos where going to do something about the posters if i remember right .

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat May 31, 2008 8:47 pm

It does seem like there is a real, live front of house team forming at the moment and perhaps the main cafe space can be left to them? I heard through the grapevine that Nix had a plan and it was agreed to. Maybe I heard wrong.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat May 31, 2008 9:50 pm

walls where mentioned , but again i felt it was said , that we would leave it to the group that was forming about these issues , this i think was the right thing to do ,

it didnt feel like we had a mandate to say, no we want it painted pink and expect others to do it .

it could be that this discussion should of been directed to an agenda point at the va meeting , so that people interested in this issue would of known to attend . and at minimum agreed to have a bigger meeting about what can be done about foh . foh like the gallery is an ongoing thing and need attention periodically. i have witnessed this discussion and felt since a momentum of action was happening all was good , but the problem is if someone is out the loop of this , it could of been that nobody at the meeting was aware of this discussion.

nix has done the right thing coming to the meeting as it was agreed that this issue would be dealt with at va or cafe and events . but the ambiguity of who deals with what is a problem ,as is the ambiguity of what can be agreed outside a meeting and what cant , thus causing a bit of confusion

lets hope all parties who want to do something get together and refresh the place as i believe we all agree it needs it , only whats to be done needs to be agreed on

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Cool, sounds good.