we into this?

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ravanwin

we into this?

Postby ravanwin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:30 pm

All -

they wanna have a table here during the fest. maybe one or two days? thoughts?

r

Hi Ryan,

It was great to talk to you just now - thanks for your time. I’ve put a bit more info below about Creative & Cultural Skills, and the kind of thing we’d like to do in August. I think the best thing would be if Liz popped in for a chat soon, so I’ve copied her into this email so that you have each other’s email addresses.

Creative & Cultural Skills is a not-for-profit organization which exists to link up the creative and cultural industries with the world of education. The idea is that we listen to people who work in creative industries to find out what the issues are in terms of skills and education – does a qualification give you the right skills to do a job, what’s missing from training or development, what can be done to help people get into a creative job etc.

Over the period of the Edinburgh festivals, we’re getting out and about all over Edinburgh to tell people about Creative Choices°. This is our new web portal, a free service, very user-led, which gives a load of career information about the creative industries and provides the tools for people to develop their creative career (things like a job mapping tool, case studies and interviews with leaders from creative industries, and networks and forums so that users can meet other creative people online and build up their own networks).

As you said, I don’t think our ‘internet café’ idea works with The Forest, but it would be great to be able to set up a little stall, which we could man for a few hours a day, at which we’d have a laptop where people can register on Creative Choices° or just explore the website a bit and talk to us about what we do and how they can be involved.

Maybe you could have a think about this idea, talk to some other members of your collective, and then Liz can pop in for a more detailed chat? Do just give me a ring or drop me an email if you’d like any more information.

Thanks very much

Naomi

Engagement Advisor

Creative & Cultural Skills

Lafone House

The Leathermarket

Weston Street

London SE1 3HN

Email naomi.kent@ccskills.org.uk

Telephone + 44 (0) 20 7015 1828

Fax + 44 (0) 20 7015 1847

Web http://www.ccskills.org.uk

chris

Postby chris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:40 pm

i checked their website, which seems fancy, and watched their promo video, which doesnt say much..

still quite confused, are they a job centre for artists?

they say 'in the future every indivual, learner or leader entering our industries will come through creative choices to find their way'. is that good?

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 pm

it's all a bit B.S. like but i will have a meet with them and see. a day or two couldn't hurt. maybe they are good. the woman i know who works there is nice. a bit "straight" though....
r

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:24 pm

why do they want to work with us?

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 pm

we are a creative space.
they know me.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:43 pm

I don´t really like the sound of it, but if you think it could be good and would like to liaise, go for it.

amelia
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

unnecessary bureaucracy seeking the credibility & notori

Postby amelia » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:54 am

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 am

Susana

Postby Susana » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:01 pm

I found this: " Creative & Cultural Skills is one of a network of 25 sector skills councils, known collectively as the Skills for Business Network, to oversee the strategic development of the workforce in our industries and deliver realistic solutions to skills needs"

(from: http://feedfury.com/content/14133383-go ... ships.html )

Also this may be clarifying:
http://www.musicmanifesto.co.uk/feature ... kell/18689

If they were only about giving information on what skills you need to get a job in industry, if that is the road you want to take, then that would be reasonable. But they intend, focussing on the needs of industry, to influence education and the government . There is already to much link between education, research and industry as it is, in my opinion. To want to apply this model to creativity/arts is sacrilegious, me thinks.
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 pm

It's like God's vagina!

milk

Postby milk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:09 am

hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) |

milk

Postby milk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 am

hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) |

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:36 am

Pep Up The Turmoil

amelia

Postby amelia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:05 am

amelia

Postby amelia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:17 am

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:37 am

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:33 pm

milk

Postby milk » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:54 pm

amelia

Postby amelia » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:56 pm

But haven't we got enough to do, I certainly do, and if these people can't adequately promote themselves then what help are they to anyone.

Giving them all this time is well over and above what they would receive anywhere else. The 'who you know' strategy was being adopted by them here without following protocol.

Holding an information event/thingy in the forest building is suitable and maybe next year we will want to ask them to join in with us.

milk

Postby milk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 am

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 am

personally I couldn't care a toss about protocol.
if you feel this has been ignorantly dismissed out of hand then add it to an agenda point at a meeting.
i would say it better sorted on the BB as there's a tump of online information to push through.
although i would be lying if i said i read anything other than a small fraction of it.
so my opinion isn't fully informed.
but a quick scan still leaves my bullshit detector high in the red.

their language betrays them
'unemployment and workless-ness are high in many boroughs.'

'this is focused on the Liverpool as European Capital of Culture 2008 and the 'cultural offer'of the other North West Cities.'

'...knowledge based clusters...'

i feel uncomfortable giving a platform to people who choose to communicate in such a manner.
how can it add up to anything but the enemy of art.
now check this
see how many times the words culture and cultural get used on this one page.
http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:ao ... cd=1&gl=uk
34 times!
who are they trying to hoodwink?
the whole thing still reads like a few bigwigs getting greased at the top end of the chain.
consider their focus on all things Olympics.
when the Olympics gets mentioned you can safely read big business.
absurd spiralling costs met with taxes in units of billions.
£675 million stolen from Lottery funding
and so it goes
it's grim reading if you take a little time to look into it.
elsewhere they speak a lot of 'flagship projects' but i can't find any actual detail of even one of them.
even their lousy acronyms don't make shit for sense
[i]'The South West Development Economic Development Agency
(SWERDA) has recently reviewed its creative industries strategy, developing a South West Creative Economy Partnership.['/i]
(when oh when will the 'r' go back into SWERDA...?)
at worse they are bogus and at best they are suspect.
my personal stance remains - a firm fuck off.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:37 am

'Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver.'
Pep Up The Turmoil

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 am

um, the woman i know, is gonna come in for a chat with me. i said - this all sounds like b.s. and she semi-agreed. she is going to try to clarify what they are on about but i suspect she won't be able to do it. i don't think there is a lack of protocol here. we did more than any other group would do and i'm still going to have a sit down. however, they are asking for something from us - to be aligned with our organization. that's a big favor considering our reputation and the time of year. to say know after this much debate is, i think, quite reasonable.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 pm

amelia

Postby amelia » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:53 am

Hey all. My reference to protocol was them not considering ours; and ours is whatever we think/want/feel to do. Certainly with a collective consensus, but I am all about freedom and only was pointing out that I felt they should at least be going to some of the effort and time that I felt was being out in by us.

amelia

Postby amelia » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 am

...that's put in by us I meant to say, sorry a typo. I'm taking out the o and putting a p back in. I agree with Dai about their language use. The original email is written in a condescending tone I haven't come across in a while and it can only do them, and, their level of representation good, to have us raise their standard of approach and manner.

spark

quango arts

Postby spark » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:17 pm

LOVE IS CHANGING EVERYTHING

Return to “The People's Forum”