Artists facilties 3rd July

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
James

Artists facilties 3rd July

Post by James » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 am

I Apologise, but I can't make this. friends thing down south. But judging by the last one, almost noone else can be bothered to either.

The only things I want to talk about is baconies; moving artists out and if artists want to stay talking to them personally about the limitations on them. The limitiations will be massive. And moving them around; if there are only several artists move them to the back of the space so they don't disturb the hall so much and lighting people can get to positions easily. And I want the TV's gone. We aren't using them. I will organise something and advertise on free-cycle.

computers - are getting a bit full of shite. I found a file sharing program on there recently. That kind of thing is what made the blue computer in the old office unusable in the end. And that's the kind of thing that makes our broadband connection so slow. Not to mention possible legal things. I would like a stronger password on those computers, a tidy up, and trying to sort something for the server.
Also, previously we had thought the HD cables were dodgy and were going to buy some more. Lets do this.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 pm

I was at the last one and will be at this one too.

If people with an interest in the computer situation can attend, we can come up with a solution. I have a few ideas.

Who's dealing with balcony stuff?

James

Post by James » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:24 pm

bill is meant to be in charge of balconies. He's not around much. I'll make sure they are cleared out before august.

I had one of those nice days where things worked out .... I have the phone number of a girl who is doing an art project and wants lots of working TVs. I told her she might be able to have ours and I would call her back in a week or two.

nix

Post by nix » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 pm

James.

you may not think so, but I am an artist. those TV's are part of my art peoject and, yes I need to get rid of some but I need some also... please don't give them away.

and...

I was told by Ryan when I applied for a proper studio space on the balcony, that I could have that space by the bikes ...

that is my studio, its shit but its my space..

I am aware that the space needed for Theater...

we can talk politely and sort something out. all of us, we are a community project after all.

lucky

Post by lucky » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeah, these points need to be discussed in a meeting. None of us have autonomy to the degree we can shift around other people's spaces.

Was this decided at a meeting?

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 pm

why is this in the minutes section??
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Martin

Minutes of 3rd July AFWG meeting

Post by Martin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Present: Martin, Nix, Pockets, Carlos, Alex
Apologies: James

Agenda:

1. Balconies
2. Cave
3. Darkroom
4. Computers.

1. BALCONIES

There is some heated opinion about use of the balconies during August.

Nix suggests we need to set up a meeting between the artists using the balconies and the theatre people using the hall in August, so that we can work out a compromise. We agree. We think this should be an open meeting with minutes taken, rather than just theatre people talking to individuals. This will help avoid chinese whisper effects from causing any further anger and confusion.

ACTION: Nix to talk to people and set up meeting.

2. CAVE

Nix is handing over responsibility for the Cave to Pockets. The cave is running well, taken about £260 in the last month. Sam Danzig has not been doing the accounting though. ACTION: Nix is going to take this on.

£250 was spent on 3 new microphones and 2 DI boxes. These items will probably end up being used in the cafe and the hall but they belong to the Cave for now.

Two of the four Mackie speakers seem to be malfunctioning, ACTION: Nix will take them to Red Dog Music for repair.

Cave computer works but CD writer doesn't seem to be working. ACTION: Martin to look at this.

The 8-track is getting its power supply replaced, or possibly more.

3. DARKROOM

Daniel is back to running the darkroom, Martin is continuing to help too. There seems to be a reasonable stream of users but it would be good to advertise more widely to attract more.

4. COMPUTERS

The action room computers are filling up with stuff. The fileserver plan has had to be aborted because the hard drives were stolen. We have plenty of computers that could be servers, but we needed two big hard drives for one.

Alternative plans include using the jukebox machine and drive as a backup server, or buying a second drive for that and having it double as the fileserver.

However none of this actually solves the issue of stuff piling up on the desktops. It has been suggested that we should setup user accounts on the computers so that people log in to their own. We could keep a guest account on each with a warning that it may be cleared out periodically.

This can be done whether or not we have a fileserver for storage and backup.

ACTION: Martin to see about setting up user accounts on the computers.

Meeting ended 7:53pm.

James

Post by James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 am

A meeting about the balconies sounds cool. I will just point out that I was saying that I wanted to talk about it, and not that I was going to do it without consulting people.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:57 am

Regarding the speakers: I think Chris was going to sort them out. Nix - maybe get in touch with him??

bill

Post by bill » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:39 pm

I'll make sure they are cleared out before august.
but then this
I will just point out that I was saying that I wanted to talk about it, and not that I was going to do it without consulting people.
when you speak like this it makes me angry and swear.

your right james, i have not been about that much recently. however i am still into forest. i am also contactable in many ways. you can private msg me. this is the first i have heard about the balconies being cleared by august. we discussed it. james you said you would ask a few artists to move out if it was convenient for them.

the studios are not the bitch of the theatre. both are good and lets meet to sort a compromise.

evenings are good. i am away next weekend.

James

Post by James » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:33 pm

ffs, I very much hate message boards and general internet faff for several reasons. (ironic given how i earn my living)
One of which Is this kind of thing.

I have been south several days and have not had time to write good messages. Now I'm on a cramped train and am not in a relaxed or calm mood.

I did not mean I will clear out the balconies as in I will throw everyone out by force. I meant I will look after this issue and make sure it comes to a resolution everyone is happy with. I picked my words badly. I appreciate some artists will be staying over august. That's fine.

Nix, I did not mean to imply you weren't an artist or anything offensive. I will talk to you about this in person because I don't like BB's.

I would very gladly welcome a meeting on this with everyone who cares about this issue. Any evening this week sounds good.

bill

Post by bill » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:02 pm

cool thursday good for anyone 7? later?

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:46 am

7 is good

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:54 pm

So I meet Bill today and we talked and we're both happy with things. Both of us are happy not to have a meeting on thu. Bill is going to talk to other artists about this.

We are happy with artists being there over august, but they should note that there will be many performances in the hall that need not to be disturbed.

Artists who are staying, we will try to move them to the back of the balconies. This means that they won't be disturbed by technical people needing access to the edge, which will be a frequent occurrence.

Bill raised security - Security is important to me to for august - we will be storing props, lights, sound and other potentially expensive stuff. Access will be staff only and it will be kept locked when not in use.