Edinburgh Zine Fair

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:44 pm

I'm away for the weekend, so I can't come
x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

ok so it has been suggested that this be condensed down to a sigle day, the saturday as noone will attend the friday, this sounds fair enough and am updating the facebook group etc.

any other leads thus far?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I contacted a dude in Glasgow that runs a bit of a fair/stall there. No new back yet. We really need people to search out workshop organisers/facilitators so we can get a schedule together...

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Yeah totally.

What I have so far:

Sandy Christie
Malcy Duff (will be running a reading or audio visual display)
Analogue tbc
Stuart Murray
Joni @ Riot Ink
Thomas Cochrane
Mark Brady
Jane @ KnuckerPress
Colin @CaulderWood Press
Project Slogan tbc
Jan Barker

and we also have nine of the skinny and AK Press- Shannon, can you confirm those?

What about forest publications and other forest creators?

Have tried to get in touch with bill and ken re: tables pick up.

Programme:

I think films would be good- where can we show them? will the projector in the cafe work ok in the daytime? or would it be feasible in the hall?

Workshops- zine in a day seems a given, what about some kind of giant add a panel comic on a roll of paper or something...dunno just throwing ideas out.

What about a workshop in the Brion Gysin/Burroughs cut-up, using mags or other material, that would be cool- i might be into running that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 pm

All sounds very good. Sounds like it's starting to come together.

AK is confirmed, though I'll touch base with them again. Nine from the Skinny wants to bring her own stuff, but stupidly I didn't ask about the paper itself! I'll get in touch with her and ask. Did anyone get in touch with Variant? They are cooooool.

Love the idea of a cut-up workshop, and Magda said she was into the add-a-frame comic type workshop (or corner of a room somewhere).

We could easily close the shutters in the cafe for films, or maybe we could do it down in the Cave?? I don't think we'll want it in the hall at the same time as the stalls.

I've been busy and haven't made any headway with a gig. I'm going to get in touch with some friends who might be into throwing a punk gig together. We'll see.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:14 am

I also Have:

Jana @ CulturedCuttlefish
Thomas England

And Nix has confirmed that he will be doing a zine workshop at the event.

Is it plausible to do films in the Cave? cos that could be good.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 pm

I think it is. We just have to book it and get something resembling a projector screen set up. The projector can be set up with a laptop.

What kind of zine workshop is Nix doing? A kind of 'zine in a day' thing?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 pm

not sure yet but will ask for more details.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 pm

-fever zine
-John Chamberlain
-Sally Evans of Poetry Scotland
-Oliver Paterson
-Dangerous Ink Mag

aiming to pick up tables Friday 25th with Ken...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:53 am

For an evening event:

I am leaving town the next day and Alex and I have been talking Genderfuck/Drag Disco Soiree as a farewell. I've gotten nowhere with planning a gig for the zine fair (I don't really have time to track down bands, etc), so this could be advertised instead as the evening event?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:46 pm

sounds quality, i say yes.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Cool, we're on it, so it can be put on the promo. Looks like Billy Liar and White Heath will be playing, as well as many still-to-be-determined great things.

It looks like I'm going to get a bunch of Crimethinc stuff but someone will have to run the stall. I'm trying to convince Harry, but if not, is anyone interested?

Magda

Post by Magda » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 pm

hey,

I should have said this earlier but I'd like to sell Toastycats and maybe some other of my stuff at the fair. Will there be a Forest table I can put them on or should I get my own?

Will be back on wednesday and can help out with whatever.

I'd also like to organize some sort of cartoon drawing thing. It could be a piece of wall with a big sheet of paper and people adding their own panels, like Shannon said.

/Magda

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm

yeah, sounds great- i will be picking up extra tables anyway for any other stuff/ forest creators etc.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 pm

a new poster:

Please distribute far and wide, if poss.

who has the power to get it on the front page of the website?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 am

I'll put this JPEG on the front page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:46 am

cheers swithun.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 am

Ace work, Stepho.
Pep Up The Turmoil

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 am

cool poster stevo !

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Okay, I have booked the Cave for most of the day on Saturday to show films. But Nix tells me that the extra projector will be in use in the gallery... I was going to ask Dan to borrow his, but he is probably on his way to Ireland by now. Any ideas? Can anyone get the films we need or at least tell what titles and where? Worst case scenario we could put them on in the cafe. Let's make a schedule for the day's films.

What about the workshops? What is actually happening? We should have info for people when they arrive. Bit posters with info, maybe small fliers. Yes, no?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi-

yeah its a shame about the projector problem- i don't have any ideas on where to get another- Dai was in the process of considering the program of films...

i can provide both Comic Book Confidential and American Splendour and Malcy Duff has a 12 minute short that he is bringing on the day.

Nix is doing a zine workshop in the action room from 2-8 i beleive which sounds good and magda is doing the panel by panel collective comic strip also.

i'm tied up until Thursday this week so if anyone has the oppertunity to broaden the publicity net that would be great. I can bring stuff/films in thursday as i have the day off. I am also off Friday and am collecting the tables with Ken that day.

programme flyers is a good idea, i think.