Behind the scenes meeting Thursday 17 July

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Behind the scenes meeting Thursday 17 July

Postby chombee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 pm

Post your agenda points please.

£100 monthly grant applications:

Cold Coffee, an interactive performance booked at the forest during the festival.

No More Masterpieces, a theatre performance at the forest during the festival.

Bunny Huggers, an animal rights street clowning workshop in September, possibly at the forest.

IKTOMS tour friends of the forest coming up from London to do a few nights of performing at the forest during the festival.

Alex Tobin's trip to Japan.

'The Opening', a zine 'for the ladies' for the zine fair this month. Anyone know if Rosie got funding from forest publications and free photocopying for this instead? I will try to speak to her.

Marimba workshops at the forest.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
Gaz
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 am

Postby Gaz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Ooh. That's a long list.
Can people read the applications beforehand if you are going to attend?
Not sure what else is on the agenda? Any ideas?
0 x
the more you think, the more you stink

User avatar
nix
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:49 am

Postby nix » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

there is some shop stuff Xabina seems confused..
http://theforest.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4900

we need to clarify.


I hope to attend.
0 x

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Postby chombee » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:30 pm

Present: Sean, Milk, Dai, Gareth, Nix

Grants

Cold Coffee, No More Masterpieces, IKTOMS -- We had 3 applications from people coming to do performances at the forest during the festival asking for money to cover their costs. There was little to choose between the three, and it was said that grants are not usually given just to help with the costs of a single event. We will tell them all to contact events @ theforest (Xabina we believe) for funding instead. (We checked the budget book and it seems there's £150 to go around.)

Alex Tobin -- not a chance with this kind of competition.

Marimba -- we felt it was the wrong time of year for this, and that it would need more money. Perhaps apply for £300 in September instead. But then, it is very similar to the mbira workshops we gave a grant to recently.

The Opening -- Rosie is gonna seek money and photocopier usage from forest publishing instead.

Bunny Huggers -- we decide to give them £60, it will cover their travel costs from Glasgow and back, we can also give them use of the hall in September cheap or for free, and maybe they can speak to cafe and events about their catering needs. We felt £60 would be enough to make their event happen.

We revived Dai's Blind Cider Date application and gave it £40. Dai is on it right away. (P.S. this wasn't Dai's idea and he didn't influence it.)

The Shop

Nix clarifies Xabina's questions:

The money from Sip & Snip (or is it Snip & Sip?) should to go the shop, not to the forest. The meeting agrees. Hopefully this means the shop can buy some more stock for August.

The shop should take 20% of money made from forest merchandise (Golden Hour Books, Balkan Invasion, etc.) just like everything else. The meeting agrees.

New Administrator Job

There seems to be plenty of interest in setting up this new paid position, and plenty of people who are interested in doing this job. At this point this could drag on until October or we could do it right now.

We wrote a job description using ideas posted to the bb thread, and we posted it here: http://theforest.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4910

We will form a job panel of three people to interview the applicants and decide who gets the job. Gareth and Nix will be on the panel, we think Ryan should be on the panel, but if he cannot be and no one else steps up Sean will do it.

We will advertise the job internally and people will send applications to Gareth by email. Deadline for applications is Fri 25th, we can extend this to Sun 27th if necessary, then interviews will happen early the next week. The job will start at the beginning of August.

We will look to hire two people who will share six days of work per week, six hours per day, they should be payed the same as kitchen managers but since KM pay is in the process of being raised forest working group needs to sort that out before we can say exactly how much they will be payed. I think a raise for KMs has already been agreed at last FWG meeting but we didn't know exactly what that makes the new KM wage. Well, someone needs to implement the raise.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
ravanwin
Posts: 4993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: edinburgh
Contact:

Postby ravanwin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am

Ok - I guess the IK:Toms thing didn't make as much sense as I thought. They were looking for £100 in support of a tour after their forest gigs, not just to get up here. The £100 would be good for them and widen the Forest Web a little. Molloy and co. are old friends and last year did a month of gigs for zero money. It's probably more an events thing.

Can I offer them £100 from the events budget (which probably needs a boost in august-time).

In terms of other events I think both the No More Masterpieces and Cold Coffee are getting enough just in terms of having a free theatre space to work in over august and would offer little in terms of our events budget. The £100 will be made back first thing thurs. nite as Ik:toms / folkadot rock out.

next meeting i will not be at the cinema.
0 x

User avatar
Gandhi
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm
Location: your moms house

Postby Gandhi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 am

the link to the job description is broken, I may be interested so wouldn't mind having a look at what you're looking for.
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

User avatar
swithun
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am

Postby swithun » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 am

Andy is interested and competent, so I PM'd him the details. The link points to the private forum, so that is why not everyone can follow it.
0 x

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: there and then
Contact:

Postby Shannon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:44 pm

I don't think they should automatically get the money out of the events budget. Let's look what's there and see who else wants it.
0 x

User avatar
dan
Posts: 1410
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:04 pm

Postby dan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 am

chombee wrote:We will form a job panel of three people to interview the applicants and decide who gets the job. Gareth and Nix will be on the panel, we think Ryan should be on the panel, but if he cannot be and no one else steps up Sean will do it.

I think 3 people is a good idea, but I think it would be good for one of these to be a woman. Bryony mentioned at todays staffing WG that she would potentially be interested in this...
D x
0 x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Postby chombee » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am

Good point Dan. I think it's gonna be Gareth, Nix and Bryony.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: there and then
Contact:

Postby Shannon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am

As Gareth pointed out, first we need some candidates to choose from. Tell all your (good) friends...
0 x

User avatar
Gandhi
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm
Location: your moms house

Re: Behind the scenes meeting Thursday 17 July

Postby Gandhi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 am

If you do not manage to find the right candidate then if you still need someone then I can work a few hours per week in the early evenings. e.g. from 5 till 8 pm or 4 till 7pm. or if you want one person for just the saturday. I know this isn't what you are after but if your in a fix then I can forward you my CV. I'm an experienced administrator so i would manage to get a lot done in those hours and it would be good for me as I want to earn more money...the Government does pay me enough to uphold my strong drug habits! :lol:

I was going to apply for the full time position but unfortunately it would be too much of a drop in wages for me and as you stated that the position would be during the day time it would make it impossible for me to remain at my current employee and work at the Forest. So if its possible to work the job in the evening then let me know and if its not too late then I'll send on my CV.
thanks.
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

User avatar
Gandhi
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm
Location: your moms house

Re: Behind the scenes meeting Thursday 17 July

Postby Gandhi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:32 am

the Government does pay me enough to uphold my strong drug habits!

Does NOT pay me enough even!!
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

User avatar
ravanwin
Posts: 4993
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Behind the scenes meeting Thursday 17 July

Postby ravanwin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:08 am

nice one G.
0 x


Return to “Minutes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests