I had written the post below uner the title "Volunteer Prices, etc" in FWG Section but I guess it needs to be copied here so there you go...
(small beer going up to 2.50 is better than my suggestion below)
I understand that we re not making as much money as we would like to, but the way to get what we want should not be by over-charging our volunteers. I mean, come on, how many beers with vollie prices do we sell every day compared to those with the customer prices? Too few, i believe. And it will be even fewer if we get rid of the vollie price. Personally I would never buy more. And so would do many other volunteers. So, eventually we will be losing money, not making it -as Jane has said.
Besides, I remember sbd saying in a meeting in July that the beer can be 5 pounds (for the customers) during the festival as it will be double price everywhere else and that the Londoners or the ppl coming from abroad are willing to pay it. And this was not a joke because when we reacted surprisedly, he kept defending it. So, if this is the case, we can have a small increase on the beer prices for the customers, we can make it 3.50 (if not 5!!) to make up for our "loss(!)" over the vollie prices. I don't think customers would make a fuss about a 20 pence difference but the vollies definitely will, over 1 pound difference! I really believe that it is more fair to charge the customers 20 pence more (if we REALLY have to) instead of charging our customers 5 times that!
I had no idea that this was gonna be discussed in the cafe and events meeting and I was working in the kitchen until 8 so I could not have participated any way but I believe this decision should be changed. I get the sense that no one in that meeting happened to be "heartily" opposed to this decision so i feel it might not have been discussed well enough by both sides, and the decisions can change, right? unless we have some sort of a closed, undiscussable, antidemocratic hierarchy -which, I am sure, we do not have at all! So, maybe a new meeting with only this topic on the agenda could be arranged urgently, or more ppl can be asked to express their opinions here on bb. But i believe there should be a sort of referandum with more participation than that meeting to re-make this decision.