Internet trouble

Martin

Internet trouble

Post by Martin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 am

Right.Our ADSL line fluctuates between up and down and retraining continuously. I've tried with two different ADSL modems and two different filters with the exact same results, tried disconnecting all the phones etc, nothing helps. The SNR and attenuation figures are not spectacular but should be okay for the speeds involved.

In other words, the problem is not with any of the stuff I've set up. Please stop calling me about it. Either call BT and hassle them instead, or figure out where our phone wiring suddenly got worse somehow in the last couple of weeks and fix it.

milk

Re: Internet trouble

Post by milk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:04 am

does anyone know where the original equipment BT sent out is? as they'll will refuse to help without it being connected.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chris

Post by chris » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:45 pm

couple of thoughts,

1. has all of the phone wiring been properly tested - from the first bt point in the building - we had similar problems in the past with dodgy connectors and busted wires...

2. is it possible to set up a wired internet just for the admin crew, until this is resolved, as it is making the job much harder for them... they could really use having internet...

cheers,

Chris
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:31 pm

It may be that there is interference on the phone line which is acceptable for speech, but a killer for ADSL. I had this at home a while ago. It is hard to tell with the crappy handsets, but it is possible.

It isn't a wireless only problem, so the admins will still have to use my house when then need to do web stuff.

Sorry about you getting pestered, Martin. I have reached the limit of my knowledge of how to fix such things, so have been referring people to you. It is possible that BT have been running diagnostics today. I tried phoning the cafe and got a disconnected noise, and the rest of the time it was engaged.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 am

chris wrote: 1. has all of the phone wiring been properly tested - from the first bt point in the building - we had similar problems in the past with dodgy connectors and busted wires...
No. I don't even know where the line comes into the building. I've just been working from the socket in the kitchen. If there's a master socket somewhere upstream of that, we can test from there instead.
2. is it possible to set up a wired internet just for the admin crew, until this is resolved, as it is making the job much harder for them... they could really use having internet...
It's not a wireless issue. The wireless works fine. We have no internet.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:03 am

ok, well i suggest we identify where the bt line enters the building, then test from that socket, and if that dont work call in the bt line engineer dudes..

seem sensible??

xx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 am

Hey Martin

I know you're reeeaaally sick of having to deal with this shit, but I tried to ask BT to run a diagnostic yesterday and because I didn't have the right knowledge (i.e. all the stuff you mention), they couldn't run it...

I can't ask BT about anything until they know all the relevant details about connections/routers etc...

Can someone please phone them?

I'm in my flat just now and don't have BT's number for internet technical support, but I will be in by 11am.

Thanks!

Lynne

James

Post by James » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 pm

righty righty oh
i rule
give me cake

so I traced wires and it turns out the admin phone in the office does not go through the microfilter in the kitchen as we thought.
thus there was interface on the line, hence dropped signal

however we did try unplugging it one night to see and that didn't fix it
that may have been because the big dlink modem had a typo in our internet broadband username that has now been fixed

so, current state:
I am typing this from our wifi!
but its using the big dlink modem
i couldn't get the small modem to work, "bad/group username" msg in log?
so i just put the big dlink one back
we have internet
but we have two wireless hubs, you can't make the dlink one inactive
assuming the white russian box does traffic shapeing, I put a wep key on the dlink wireless so everyone has to use the whiterussian wireless.
however, my latop is reporting massive signal jumps - some kind of interference maybe?

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Nice work.

You could try changing the channel on the D-Link so it can't interfere with the Linksys.

When I get a chance I'll see about swapping the standalone modem back in.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Also: the typo wouldn't have been the problem when we tried before. I had a quick go on Tuesday night to see if I could get it going for dorkbot and typed it in then.

James

Post by James » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:23 pm

they are on different channels.
still seems wierd - wifi hangs sometimes and i have to hit refresh a couple of times
haven't tried a wired connection yet
swapping would be good, thanks martin

James

Post by James » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm

Martin wrote:Also: the typo wouldn't have been the problem when we tried before. I had a quick go on Tuesday night to see if I could get it going for dorkbot and typed it in then.
really? it should have worked when we unplugged the admin phone that night then. wierd. oh well.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm

i think i'll take credit for this one... ;)

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:22 pm

It did go down again a little while ago. But power cycling the D-Link box brought it back up again.