Minutes for Cafe and Events WG 1930hrs030908
Present: Sam, Ben, Jamie, Emi, Alex, Diana, and Dai towards the end.
Ida's calling idea
Implimenting New Menu
Garden: Sam - Sam is a new volunhteer in the Forest. He would like to take a good hand to the Garden. Fernando has been working on it for past while until he hurt his leg. Matthes and others are using The Happening's vegitation to make a shelter of kinds. Sam sees a lot of potential for growing things, maybe growing stuff that bears fruit.
AP Alex to ask Matthes what plans are, how long it will take etc. and to get Fernando and Matthes in touch with Sam so they can all organise something.
Application forms: Alex – wondering what the system is, who processes them? We need to start giving them to every volunteer we get from now on. Emi – If people fill out the form and leave it back in the drawer (silver drawers) and Emi will get in touch. She still thinks the form needs looked over again.
AP Kms and Nms to be made aware of this procedure. Alex will post about it.
AP Emi and Alex to go through Application form once more to streeeeeeamline it.
Ida's Calling Idea: Alex – Ida had an idea to make people aware their food is ready at times when we can't call out their name (too loud, when something quiet is on). This was to give people cards and have relating cards to clip up when their dish is ready. We all discussed this and similar ideas seen elsewhere.
AP Jamie to speak to Ida and make something happen
Games: Diana suggests we should have a chess table. The games chest is pointed out, filled with most or part of various games.
AP Diana to sort through games box and make a poster making people aware we have games to play. Alex will have a look to see if there is any money in budgets to buy a couple more.
Coffee: Ben – The standard of our coffee could be improved. This is due to standard of volunteer traning on the coffee machine. Jamie – Our coffee, as in the beans, is actually really good quality. We could be known for making really decent coffee. Alex expained to Jamie how he trains volunteers, showing them a few examples then getting them to make them as we get the first individual customers. Alex – We get complaints now and again about heat of coffee. While we teach volunteers how to know when the milk is perfectly hot, some find this an easier concept than others. Should we get a temperature guage? Jamie – that may make things a bit difficult for people who find it tricky holding the mik jug in place. We should have smaller jugs to at least teach people with (they can see better) and it may reduce wastage. Ben – coffee machine needs to be flushed out at the end of every night. Alex – As EVS volunteers are here a lot, and usually one will be in the cafe at close, Alex will do a specific coffee making and flushing session when they are all free.
AP Ben to make a first draft for a coffee manual, containing all his top tips!
AP Jamie to get a couple of smaller milk steaming jugs.
AP Kms to keep an eye on people making coffee, esp. milk steaming.
AP Alex to do coffee making retrain specifically with EVS
Implimenting New Menu: Alex – Explains to new members we had a meeting about the new menu. Concept to get rid of Burritos, Falafel and Nachos. Bring in more Mezze/Tapas stuff. Make proper recipe instructions to avoid drastic inconsitencies. Keep Cheese and Beans on toast. Have a wider range of hot foods ready, curry, stroganofffffff etc. Discussions ongoing about getting a new fridge.
AP Jamie to some meet Alex 3pm on Friday to make a plan. Daily plan to try out recipies, costings, how long it takes to make things etc. Then we will have a menu to work with, avec prices.
Volunteer Party – People suggest that we go away, camping or something. Alex – we have a loarge budget to work with as Vollie parties haven't been happening every month past while. Alex knows of an awesome bothy in Tentsmuir in Fife. He's been before. It's an amazing space, with a bothy for a shelter, enough space to set up tents, a fire area, it's just over the dunes of a beach, it's amazing forest. Takes a train ride and a cycle if not a minibus.
AP Meeting for going away vollie party Tues 8th at 7:30pm in the Cafe. Come with your ideas. Alex to do a poster for it.
Any other business?: No.
And we all drank lemonade!