moving the freeshop

Records, publishing, shop etc.
simone

Re: moving the freeshop

Post by simone » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm

yes, good point neil about swap system
the stuff being clearly marked great idea
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Forum: Shop Topic: moving the freeshop
simone
Post subject: Re: moving the freeshop
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Replies: 99
Views: 1922

yes, good point neil about swap system
the stuff being clearly marked great idea

in my unread posts it say that simone has made a post in this thread , but i cant read it . i can find it if i search simones posts . can anybody read it . or is it just a ghost post
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

milk

Post by milk » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 am

that is well weird. both simone's post listings show it, as does using the dropdown menus to view just the last 7 days. i've googled for others with similar problems but can't find anything that matches the symptoms..

(also, trying '1 year' or '6 months' on the previous 'missing post' thread doesn't show anything 'new')
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:52 pm

if it weren't for the freeshop I would be a very cold money-less visitor to edinburgh.
hopefully Ryan is not referring to people like me when he mentions "human flies"...

I love the freeshop. a free shop is a radical statement. a swap shop is not free.

i would love the freeshop to be available all the time, but I would rather the shop stay available SOMEtimes (incorporated into BizArt) than NONE of the time.
i tend to tidy the freeshop whenever I look through it, and if the cafe's quiet when I'm on shift I clean it up then too.

it would be a real shame for the freeshop to be closed down.

my 2 cents worth
scout

James

Post by James » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Decision from today's FWG meeting:
Free Shop will be moved to the shop and trialled till the next meeting (Mid Jan) , and we will discuss how well it is going.

This has been a massive debate, and normally the FWG wouldn't get involved, but it seemed the only way to settle the question.
If people feel the move isn't working, please do say so on this thread or elsewhere and it will be taken into consideration.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:30 pm

nice on FWG
It's like God's vagina!

James

Post by James » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Now the decision has been taken the work must be done ...who's in?
Emi has offered to help and whoever does it will have to talk to Charlotte first to plan where it will fit in with the current contents.

milk

Post by milk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 pm

so we need to stick up a sign advising punters of the move.

a start;

"The Free Shop shall soon be living in a corner the Biz'Art Shop, found off the main Forest entrance hall which is accessible via either the back door of the cafe or the large doors at the front of the building. The Shop is open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 1:30 - 7:30pm. Please refrain from bringing in items for the free shop outside of these times - thanking you very much for your co-operation!"

thoughts? rewrites? alternatives?
Last edited by milk on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

neil

Post by neil » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 am

no sign. word of mouth.

is there going to be a system for out of hours drop off?

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:37 am

there should at least be sign where the old freeshop was saying freeshops moved so don't leave your broken crap in this room anymore.
It's like God's vagina!

milk

Post by milk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:48 am

i don't see how the move would be able to go even somewhat smoothly without a sign notifying of the change. no drop off area - i brought up the issue of people bringing things out of shop hours and creating a sign was the only suggestion.

still, there will be pissed off people who bring things in good faith and are turned away, though i can just see some volly going "oh, um, i'm not sure, but i'm sure it would be fine to store it temporarily in a corner of the entrance hall/action room/cafe/crafty room/etc until it's open again tomorrow"....

xabina

Post by xabina » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:26 pm

I really think that a sign is needed for people to know what's going on.
Because if you don't do it, they're all gonna ask in the kitchen, and the kitchen volunteers have not time for that.

According to the people who wants to bring something out of the shop opening hours, you could put a huge-colourful-wooden box next to the door (maybe with a lid to hide a little bit what's inside), for people to put there the stuff they wanna give to the free-shop.

The person working in the shop could have a look to the stuff in the box everyday, and put it properly in the shelves of the new "Free-shop".
And maybe even sort out what is good and what is real crap.

Thoughts from far away from the Forest

xxx
X
"If I can't dance I don't wanna be part of your revolution" Emma Goldman

nix

Post by nix » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:54 pm

milk wrote:. no drop off area - i brought up the issue of people bringing things out of shop hours and creating a sign was the only suggestion.

still, there will be pissed off people who bring things in good faith and are turned away, though i can just see some volly going "oh, um, i'm not sure, but i'm sure it would be fine to store it temporarily in a corner of the entrance hall/action room/cafe/crafty room/etc until it's open again tomorrow"....

solution:?

there is a big, lockable cupboard thing on its side on the landing outside balcony... this could go on the landing outside the action room .. (if it fits).. or in the action room... and hold the FS overspill...?

<3

N.

milk

Post by milk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:14 pm

sounds workable? anyone else got any ideas?

milk

Post by milk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:00 pm

the sign going up in 10 mins reads;

"The Free Shop will, after Sunday 27th of Nov, be living in a corner our Biz'Art Shop, found off the main Forest entrance hall (which is accessible via either a left out of the café back door, or the large doors at the front of the building).

The Biz'Art Shop is open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 1:30 - 7:30pm. Please refrain from bringing in items for the free shop outside of these times - thanking you very much for your co-operation!"

it can be changed once a new consensus has been reached on the specifics of the matter.

simone

Post by simone » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 pm

brilliant, thanks milk
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:18 pm

There's sure to be civil unrest and rioting.
I await the angry mob.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Chacha

Post by Chacha » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:25 pm

I would like just to inform you that I will not have time to move the free shop before January. I tried to do my best even if I totally disagree to move the free Shop into the shop, but since two weeks moving the free shop in the shop seems just impossible. We were supposed to do that on the building day but no body was there to helping me, I had other plan but I was waiting all the day to see the people who really want to move this free shop. The strange fact is that I still don't know really who want to do that because every people around me seems totally annoyed by this decision.
Then Nix remembered me on Sunday 7th December that I have to move the free shop as soon as possible, we had a big discussion about that. I told him that I can not move the free shop without to created a good space for that before in the shop. Alex explained that an EVS from the university would like to help me to build some shelf. So according with Nix who called this guy that I have to build the shelf on Monday then moved the free shop this week. Unfortunately the information was wrong and the guy today (Monday) was not free, he will be free only next week and I will be in France so now I suggest you to wait January to moved this free shop. Because I wanted to move the free shop in the cupboard upstairs today and put the old shelf in a corner in the shop for this guy but lot of people today were really sad about the idea that the free shop will disappear for one week.
I'm surprised because I'm the Shop Manager as every one knows but no one after the Forest Working Group meeting told me (except James who doesn't remember every thing, I mean he seems confused because he can not really telling me who agreed or who doesn't with this solution of putting the free shop in the shop) exactly what was the decision taking during the meeting. I made a mistake and I'm really sad to have missed this meeting, but I will be in January for the other meeting and I would like to discuss again with you to find a good place for the free shop.