Behind the Scenes 15/01/2009

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
stephengoodall

Behind the Scenes 15/01/2009

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 pm

BTS meeting this Thursday at 8pm

we have one monthly grant application to consider this time.

Anything else for the agenda?
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

ChaoticReality

Re: Behind the Scenes 15/01/2009

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Minor networky thing from me. Not sure how into the remit it falls but will bring it up anyway.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

budget re: gh

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am

Apologies I won't be there I'm afraid.
I love the bomb.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Present: Ryan, Dai, James, Gareth, Mike

ADMIN JOB-

AP: James to make posters to advertise admin position externally for a week.

NETWORK:

James and Mike busted someone using lots of bandwith to download torrents, may have also had a virus which is illegal and could get us a problem. It should be a practical issue rather than a legal one- there are som e basic things we can do to prevent this.

A filtering system to block sites in impractical, just be vigilent.

Proposal- to set the network to prioritise the action room/ admin computers and prioritise email/work sites rather than Youtube/music sites as if a few people are using these sites it can make the internet slow for all users. This is a good plan- we should do it.

We currently have 2 meg broadband and perhaps this outdated for our usage as our monthly traffic limit is usually reached within a week. This means we get slowed down during peak times.

AP: Mike to contact Bt to cost upgrade of package.

Server- would be very useful to have user profiles and restrict printing. Might cost £300- Mike will look into and estimate costs.

BUDGETS
- financial year starts 1/10 but we don't have WG budget figures before september.
Are budgets working- might be a bit high in some areas, could do with re-jigging.
need to curb spending or up income- wastage is a problem, need to tighten belt.
Should budgets be put on lockdown?

KMs and Admin should be weary of all spending and make more difficult.

AP: Stephen to look into whether records of WG spending exist, have a look at figures.

GRANTS

grants shouldn't neccessarily be conditional on events, reluctant to restrict grant remit- Stephen will ask those awarded grants to provide photos and details of projects.

Lockend Girls Group get monthly grant.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

James

Post by James » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 am

stephengoodall wrote:Present: Ryan, Dai, James, Gareth, Mike

ADMIN JOB-

AP: James to make posters to advertise admin position externally for a week.

NETWORK:

James and Mike busted someone using lots of bandwith to download torrents, may have also had a virus which is illegal and could get us a problem. It should be a practical issue rather than a legal one- there are som e basic things we can do to prevent this.
I talked to him, I reckon it was a virus and he was just clueless. Some solution to problems like this would be good.

A filtering system to block sites in impractical, just be vigilent.

Proposal- to set the network to prioritise the action room/ admin computers and prioritise email/work sites rather than Youtube/music sites as if a few people are using these sites it can make the internet slow for all users. This is a good plan- we should do it.
Yes, also if possible segment the network so our private network is private and ppl in the cafe can't use our printer. With the exception of the free terminal, this is as easy as wireless vs ethernet.

We currently have 2 meg broadband and perhaps this outdated for our usage as our monthly traffic limit is usually reached within a week. This means we get slowed down during peak times.

AP: Mike to contact Bt to cost upgrade of package.

Server- would be very useful to have user profiles and restrict printing. Might cost £300- Mike will look into and estimate costs.

BUDGETS
- financial year starts 1/10 but we don't have WG budget figures before september.
Are budgets working- might be a bit high in some areas, could do with re-jigging.
need to curb spending or up income- wastage is a problem, need to tighten belt.
Should budgets be put on lockdown?

KMs and Admin should be weary of all spending and make more difficult.

AP: Stephen to look into whether records of WG spending exist, have a look at figures.
There is the blue folder of WG spending before aug 08, but I had to add a lot of things to it and I wouldn't have confidence in it as being complete.

There are all the receipts, but its hard to know what group they were for.

basically the problem is there were different methods of measurement used and so you can't compare them. We can pull out general all budget fiqures ok but anything more fine grained is problematic. We'll just have to wait till we get more fiqures as time passes.

One thing is that even now we got a lot of receipts, mainly from that newsagent round the corner, i have no idea what they are and they go throught as unidentified code.
Solutions:
* KMs must write on recipet; but they are to busy
* KM don't do money from till any more, only Admins do that? We used to have that.

GRANTS

grants shouldn't neccessarily be conditional on events, reluctant to restrict grant remit- Stephen will ask those awarded grants to provide photos and details of projects.

Lockend Girls Group get monthly grant.