Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm 

Hey, I'm looking to buy (or generally acquire) an old laptop to type things on, it doesn't need to have lots of memory or internet access or good speakers or anything like that, it's for writing only. In fact, no internet would be better because I am easily distracted. I want to pay less than £100, and generally as little as possible. Because I would rather spend all my money on booze and international flights.

Do any of you computer people know where best to get refurbished laptops cheap?

Also, any recommendations on which brands/models age best? I want something reliable and durable, not so worried about speed/portability etc.

Cheers
Jane
x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:26 pm 

Freecycle didn't deliver, then? I tried there too, but had to buy one in the end.

Have you had a look at User 2? Maybe some dodgy shop on Leith Walk would have something.

I'd say that it could be as crap as possible, as long as it has a USB port where you can stick your stick. The hard drive is likely to be small and unreliable, so keeping you great American novel somewhere else is a good idea.

You could put Damn Small Linux on it - I think it needs less than 100Mb or something daft like that.

Ras had a very old laptop that worked but had Windows95 on it. It doesn't have USB, but you could get a USB to serial adaptor perhaps. See if he is willing to part with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:50 pm 

user 2 were a bit shit, they told me that the £79 laptop they had was too crap for my needs and too slow to cope with linux....they wanted to sell me a £299 one instead.

I found this on gumtree, what say you?
http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/63/19448663.html

thank you swith
xxxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:14 pm 

Looks good. I'd go for it (if I didn't have one already). The battery is quite possibly dead, but you get the charger so that is fine.

I'll have to pop in and look at this 79 pound beast. Too slow for Linux indeed. Game over for User 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:07 pm 

You should make a post on gumtree too...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:41 am 

Spam :(

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...