Front of House 18/01/2009

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
stephengoodall

Front of House 18/01/2009

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Present: Emi, Ida, Charlotte, Ryan, Susanna, Cyrielle, Taskin, Stephen, Mattheus, Marine, Jamie, Marrianne.

Concentrate on red room for now- take small steps to accomplish objectives. Want space to be relaxed, cosy and inviting.

PHASE ONE-

Move free shop- done.

Paint
-Repaint the red part, leave the gold at top of walls.
-Paint all walls the same colour
-Decide colour, get free paint (paint team to meet to get free paint and decide colour. Once paint is confirmed, arrange transport.)- Marrianne
-walls to be prepared, painted on a Monday, when cafe is closed.

Move Library to space where freeshop was.
-will make space a good chillout area, will fit in with info boards.
-use only the low shelves and condense book collection.
-Include flyer rack for flyers and free publications, not table.

Make a board above door to cafe for workshop info- blackboard paint, but posters may be more appealing- solution??

Remove or fix speakers and make sure cables and woodwork are fixed- Mattheus

Info Boards- Stephen
new posters, condense and display info for the different aspects of the Forest in cohesive way
space for Forest info, board for event posters(stop posters appearing on other walls.), space for community notices
N.B. Alex wants to maintain the minutes postings as its important for people to be able to read them.
Move boards to above where library will be and adjacent wall till computer.

PHASE TWO-

Furniture
-Sand and repaint tables.
-Look out for good free stuff.
-Make sure space is not too cluttered.
-Netted seats from the ceiling? Might be a danger with teenagers, troublemakers.- Susanna and Marrianne to look into how to make/hang/buy.
-Carpeted seated space in L-shape from window, wooden frame, cushioned back- Charlotte to make plan, post details on BB.
-Sofas- will they attract shady people and sleepers? Might be better with other solutions.
-important to maintain enough space for people to move through to the cafe freely on busy nights.

Artwork
Find and hang Kitsch artwork for space, hung high on wooden panelling.
Contact ECA and other organisations to source art and sculptures for the space.

Lighting- Susanna, Ida
-good lighting will brighten the space
-light installation will be good.
-Rails with lights like in gallery?
-Lighting installation on ceiling- Mattheus to speak to Magda
-fairy lights run around walls.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

ChaoticReality

Re: Front of House 18/01/2009

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:28 am

I think moving the library to where the freeshop used to be might backfire if people think it's the freeshop (unlikely) or we get troublemakers messing things up / taking books (more likely).
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:14 pm

only one way to find out ...
r

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 pm

ravanwin wrote:only one way to find out ...
r
Fair point. I still don't like it,
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 pm

i think if you put anything in there it runs the risk of being stolen/damage . as it not a well supervised area . the lampshade emi made didnt last long in red room .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm

that's true but if we follow that rationale then the redroom just becomes a junk heap attached to the Forest. A bit like it is now, in fact.

I guess the idea is to attempt to change the tone and feel of the space, moving the library seemed to fit in with that when we discussed it at the meeting. Maybe it will be a bad move in hindsight but if it doesn't work out it will take 30 mins max to put it back.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm

your right steve and try we must !

martin
Heaven is a disaster

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

sorry...
stephengoodall wrote: it will take 30 mins max to put it back.
er.. no.

it won't take 30 mins to put back.. it will take weeks of ermm/argh..

i suggest:

we keep the library where it is, put the big bookshelf in the Action Room for the Radical library or cut it in half.
keep the shelves low and black.

paint the Cafe walls white again, just for a wee while, it makes the best background for the A0 and easy for an artist to paint a new muriel.

the Zine-o-rama is soon and a 'words/text' feel would be good. holistic events. thats the way.

I am spending monday with cerielle painting tables in that style if no one objcts.

GO TEAM F.O.H!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 pm

nix wrote:sorry...
stephengoodall wrote: it will take 30 mins max to put it back.
er.. no.

it won't take 30 mins to put back.. it will take weeks of ermm/argh..
What he said. The freeshop was originally supposed to move at the end of November. People ermm and ahhed and it took 6 weeks for it to actually go (and even then, not to where the original consensus decision decided).

If the bookcases move and there's a problem, it will require enough people to actually care and to be there at the same time to move it back. I, like Nix, suspect this won't happen. People will just think that someone else will do it or will be too afraid of taking the initiative and just moving it.
Mike

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:48 pm

I most definitely think both your concerns are entirely valid, in fact they were concerns i raised at the meeting myself.

Ironically it was the weeks of Umm, Ahh about moving the library in the first place that i was trying to avoid by being optimistic. :) And I still think it is worth a try.

I don't think the decision about moving the freeshop is a good comparison because the freeshop was(is) a cherished aspect of the forest that did not have a clear new location, Whereas the library can be moved back to where it was without much strife. Decision making aside, i still stand by the assumption that moving the library does not require a team of dedicated people to be in one place at one time; it requires only one person, with a free half hour.

Also consider this: the freeshop decision was made difficult because consensus decisions reached at meetings were disregarded in practice.

If we choose not to move the library then do we still want to move the info boards? This was part of the plan and i was going to come in on Sunday to take them down to allow for painting, to reinstall them with the revamped info on Tuesday evening.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:33 pm

i say that these concerns were raised at meeting and we reached a consensus. unless nix or mike is using a BLOCK (not cool on the bb) I say the decision should stand and we should move on.

also, we should have a follow up FOH meeting asap. I have some free time next week,
R

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:46 am

Well, I've been persuaded around to trying the book case in the (brand new) Aubergine Room.

The amazing Forest PainTeam has just finished work (I walked through my door about 10 mins ago) on painting the front room.

Mad props to Charlotte, Nerea, Taskin and Cyrielle, who worked really hard to make it look beautiful.
Mike

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 am

YES YES..

THANKS ALOT TO THE PAINT TEAM!! (SORRY FOR BEING A BOSSY BASTARD)

THE BOARD IS UP.

THE RACK IS UP.

THE PAINT TEAM LEFT A NOTE FORME OUTLINEING THERE PLANS"

"LEAFLET RACKTO LEFT OF PC, PUBLIC NOTICE BOARD TO LEFT OF IT. AND ABOVE THE LIBRARY, 2 A0 POSTERS, ONE HOW WE WORK, AND THE OTHER, A LIST OF WORKSHOPS.,ON THE NEW BLACKBOARD ABOVE THE DOOR "TONIGHT@THEFOREST"...

ONE THING...

WE HAVE A BOX OF CABLE CLIPS IN THE WORKSHOP, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TIDY UP THE NETWORK CABLES FROM THE pc.

THANKS.

n.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm

whats next , are we going to paint over the mural next week ?

martin
Heaven is a disaster

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Cheers!
Taskin

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:19 pm

"You are not authorised to read this forum" :(
Mike

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 pm

duplication:

hey guys.. i was gonna put this on Front of House section but just discovered this topic so i'm copying and pasting it all, can't be bothered to modify it now cheers!..

Lovely Peoples of The Forest!..

Finally.. at long last.. upon massive request.. the front room has finally changed its color!

Farewell to the red room and welcome to the aubergine room!!!

So, what do you think of the color? How do you think the room looks? I think it looks great. Before you start shooting bullets I want to let you know that we spent several hours to make it look like as it does now, so pls be mercifully constructive when u criticize. I also want to thank everyone who helped us paint it -that is: Nerea, Johnny, Martin, Charlotte, Nix, Mike, Cyrielle and Me...Also, we should keep in mind that this was just the beginning and the revolution will not be complete until every one of these next projects are completed.

Next Projects in FOH:
- Arrangement of much more lighting in the room as the color is darker now.

- The placement of the beautiful library shelves in where the free shop was (with proper warning signs on them to remind ppl that it's not the free shop). And putting two A0 size posters above them; one with the list of workshops we currently run and another one with the info on how we work, etc (the poster that used to be next to the entrance of totalkunst)

- Hanging a rack for event/venue advert flyers and the noticeboard (which is now much smaller and freshly painted in black) for ppl's flyers on the wall on left side of the pc above the shelves.

- Using the new blackboard above the cafe door for "Tonite @ The Forest" to promote the daily events and attract mroe ppl into the cafe as it's gonna be really visible even from the street. The lovely kitchen vollies should take 10 secs every day to update this.

- Extending the elevated area where the plants are into an L shape, and put cushions, blankets, etc on them to provide customers with a place to chill out. (also, if demanded, put the minutes on the wall above this)

- Hang pieces of art on random places on the left wall

Word?

The Pain-T-eam
Cheers!
Taskin

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 pm

taskin wrote: Word?

The Pain-T-eam

Word, brother. We did good. :D
Mike

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:36 pm

great work!- the "what is forest" poster is posted in the VA forum by martin. will aim to get this printed and on display on thursday.

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

that would be great! also, i ll try to get sbd to make a really simple black and white poster with the workshops we have. any ideas who can do it?
Cheers!
Taskin

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:45 pm

if you have the info i should be able to make and print.

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:53 pm

ACE! I'll pm you the list soon. Thanks a lot steven!!!
Cheers!
Taskin

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm

I pm'ed this to you as well, steven..

FOREST WORKSHOPS:

The Forest Choir: tuesdays@7pm, hall
7pm-8pm: drop in, have fun.
8–9.30pm: more focused session for people who want to work towards performances.
For more information contact: Chandra (Chandra@naturalvoice.net)

Drama Drama Drama group: tuesday@9pm, hall
The group has many purposes, many people and many moments.
It loves poetry and tragedy and laughter and love and passion.
It loves eyes and ears and mouth. It wants you to find it...

Spanish - Advanced: tuesdays@7.30pm, crafty room
Os apetece divertiros mientras mejorais vuestro español?
Quereis hablar con mas gente y conocer cosas sobre España?
Animaros y venir a la Crafty Room todos los martes!

Spanish - Beginners: wednesdays@7pm, crafty room
If you still don’t understand what your Spanish boy-friend says when he is drunk, you have to join this free Spanish workshop. Do it this Wednesday, Nerea will be your new amazing teacher!

Bike Generator: wednesdays@5pm, crafty room
as part of the "Don't DiY Alone" gathering and symposium, the Forest will be facilitating The Forest Bicycle Generator Workshop. An opportunity to learn about and build machines to generate power from pedaling. There is a lot to get together to make it cool, so we need to forge a strong team.

Drumgasm: thursdays@7pm, crafty room
Anything can be a drum and anyone a drummer, no experience whatsoever necessary; just show up and we'll play some harmonious percussions. We'll have some cool games/exercises to learn to play together with eachother. drums are provided, unless you have one sounding awesome!

Music Jam: thursdays@9pm, the cave
Grab your instruments and join us to have some good sounds and friends! Beginners welcome!

Guitar Class: fridays@2pm, crafty room
Come to free guitar classes run by Marcus!

Saxophone class: fridays@3pm, crafty room
Come to free saxophone classes run by Marcus!
Cheers!
Taskin

taskin

Post by taskin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 pm

oops, and there s ballet classes starting really soon as well, cant remember the day&hour from the top of my head, could sbd check the posters in the building and write it here pls? otherwise i ll do it tomorrow.
Cheers!
Taskin

nix

Post by nix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:46 am

taskin wrote:Bike Generator: wednesdays@5pm, crafty room
as part of the "Don't DiY Alone" gathering and symposium, the Forest will be facilitating The Forest Bicycle Generator Workshop. An opportunity to learn about and build machines to generate power from pedaling. There is a lot to get together to make it cool, so we need to forge a strong team.
can this one read:

The Forest Bicycle Generator Workshop. An opportunity to learn about and build machines to generate power from pedalling. All welcome. No experience necessary, but an enthusiasm for off-grid power is a must![/quote]
taskin wrote:
Music Jam: thursdays@9pm, the cave
Grab your instruments and join us to have some good sounds and friends! Beginners welcome!
!
correction:

thursdays @ 8pm .

---

thanks

nix

Post by nix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 am

taskin wrote:
Drama Drama Drama group: tuesday@9pm, hall

this should be 8:30 in the crafty room. I.m sure.

there is a poster in the cafe.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:51 pm

I thought we were going to look at moving Drumgasm to a different day because Thursday is megamegacrowded (sound team meet, cave meet, cave jam, GMYW rehearsal, two different action groups meet on Thursdays, etc)
Mike

taskin

Post by taskin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:00 pm

I copy-pasted many of that list from an apparently outdated list we once made. sorry for the mistakes and i dont mind changing the day of drumgasgm, but we should decide asap. when do u suggest?
Cheers!
Taskin

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I like Wednesdays!
Mike

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 am

ok then- i will print the what is forest one today- if you guys could confirm the workshop details for me by saturday i will get that one made and printed then.

taskin

Post by taskin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:07 pm

so here s the final list stephen, hope it s not too late!

Drumgasm: tuesdays@6pm, crafty room
Anything can be a drum and anyone a drummer, no experience whatsoever necessary; just show up and we'll play some harmonious percussions. We'll have some cool games/exercises to learn to play together with eachother. drums are provided, unless you have one sounding awesome!

The Forest Choir: tuesdays@7pm, hall
7pm-8pm: drop in, have fun.
8–9.30pm: more focused session for people who want to work towards performances.
For more information contact: Chandra (Chandra@naturalvoice.net)

Spanish - Advanced: tuesdays@7.30pm, crafty room
Os apetece divertiros mientras mejorais vuestro español?
Quereis hablar con mas gente y conocer cosas sobre España?
Animaros y venir a la Crafty Room todos los martes!

Drama Drama Drama group: tuesday@8.30pm, hall

The Forest Bicycle Generator Workshop. An opportunity to learn about and build machines to generate power from pedalling. All welcome. No experience necessary, but an enthusiasm for off-grid power is a must!

Ballet classes: wednesdays@5.30pm, the hall
Great ballet classes organised by a professional and experienced dancer.

Spanish - Beginners: wednesdays@7pm, crafty room
If you still don’t understand what your Spanish boy-friend says when he is drunk, you have to join this free Spanish workshop. Do it this Wednesday, Nerea will be your new amazing teacher!

Music Jam: thursdays@8pm, the cave

Guitar Class: fridays@2pm, crafty room
Come to free guitar classes run by Marcus!

Saxophone class: fridays@3pm, crafty room
Come to free saxophone classes run by Marcus!
Cheers!
Taskin

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm

thanks taskin, will get this done as soon as poss.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 pm

We need a new 'What is Forest?' poster, since some twat set fire to the other one.
Mike

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:39 pm

ill get one done on monday .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

nix

Post by nix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

taskin wrote:
Drama Drama Drama group: tuesday@8.30pm, hall

sorry to be pedantic, but accurate info is important..

it is tuesdays 8:30 in crafty room. then in hall from 9:30. (the choir is in there until then)

Ida

Post by Ida » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:54 pm

ok for the workshops but dont forget dance workshops starting next week:

Wednesday 5.30pm, Hall:

Ballet Classes for Adults:
Class is designed for adults at a general level. We will focus on coordination, form, physicality, fitness, and overall fun! Everyone is welcome from beginners to advanced level dancers. Bring comfortable clothing and a pair of thick socks or ballet slippers.\

Thursday, 5pm, Hall:

Dance Classes:
A dance/conditioning class for people who have left dance or who have never got the chance to dance, involving fun, different types of music and also some ballet.

there is also a new Italian grammar and conversation workshop from probably the second week of february on but i am still waiting for an answer to fix the time.
Sorry for the confusion with the drama. once it was 9 in the hall. please people talk to me if you are changing times!!!

Nerea

Post by Nerea » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi! Sorry for coming back to the library topic (I saw this post quite late). My opinion is that some people is working really hard (Marian and Cyrielle) in the new book case and i think that at least we have to try moving the library, if we change the hole room and we keep it tidy I guess (I hope) it will be ok...we have troublemakers in all the building...About the poster I think if we want to have it for longer we must put some kind of cover on it (plastic?). And well, I offer myself for keeping the library tidy, and i will put some poster about how the library works as well. I hope this is working.

X

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:19 pm

attached is a pdf of the poster, on the computer it looks a bit of a mess when viewed on the computer due to the text size, but will be fully legible once printed at a large size. Not sure when i can get this printed yet, possibly Saturday morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.