upgrading broadband

neil

upgrading broadband

Post by neil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I can't find the thread, but I think someone recently mentioned upgrading the broadband to get more bandwidth. I don't know where we are contractually with BT, but maybe it's worth switching to another provider such as Be, who are apparently very cheap, fast and reliable.

This is the Be Pro package:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/broadbandoffice.do

I rang them and the guy I spoke to said forest would be able to get this on the BT business line and could expect download speeds of 14Mbps. Uploads would be 1.5Mbps. He confirmed the cost would be £21.50 a month in total, with a £24 connection fee. (Last time I checked we pay about £35 a month to BT for broadband)

The only possible complication is that the direct debit may need to be set up via an individual's account rather than the business account, though possibly not.

He said the service is compatible with Linux, though of course they only support Windoze & Mac.

ChaoticReality

Re: upgrading broadband

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Looks good.

Be are highly recommended by all my techie friends and I have personal reasons for disliking BT; Have you heard of Phorm? It's a tracking service that watches every webpage you visit so you can get more targeted adverts and *cough*spam*cough* emails from your service provider. It's a massive privacy invasion and there's nothing you can do about it, since it's all done at BT's end of the connection. They ran this in secret without informing anybody and passed all of the customer's data to this third party. More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webwise and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/ and http://badphorm.co.uk/

More speed would be good, we do get a bit laggy at times.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:14 pm

its looks great ,

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 pm

I just checked with BT. We are paying 29.99 + VAT per month. Apparently we max out at 8Mbps, though of course we probably only get about 4 or 5.

One month's notice is required to quit.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:24 pm

There is no way we get 4/5 Mbps, let alone 8.

I will check when I get into the Forest today but I think we are only getting 2Mbps tops.

Let's give in the notice.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm

It might be worth checking out Virgin. I did make a thorough attempt to get cable many moons ago but they (Telewest in those days) refused to accept that we could be connected, despite the existing sockets of theirs. But that was ages ago and may worth another go.
I love the bomb.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:44 pm

ChaoticReality wrote:Let's give in the notice.
Need to get a MAC code from BT. I can do this if it is what the people want.

I checked Virgin. As far as I could tell, they are more expensive and they like to limit your gigabytage. Be is unlimited subject to fair usage policy. Anyone know how much gigabytage we use per month, overall?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Would cost £46 (including vat) a month for Virgin business 10meg.

I don't know, but I reckon their throttling will be less or non-existant for business connections.

I'd be happy to get in touch with them and at least find out if it's a possibility.
Installation would cost, no idea how much.
I love the bomb.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 am

not heard great things about Virgin at all.
Heard very good things about O2 though
It's like God's vagina!

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Well, I've been a Telewest/Virgin customer since the early days of cable and they've been very good. There is some throttling on residential connections at certain times of day after you pass a certain quota (a lot of video downloads) but mostly get full 10 meg, much better than any ADSL I've experienced.

Had a good experience with their support as well.

We had their business cable in Westport and that worked out well.
I love the bomb.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Duncan works for Virgin.
It's like God's vagina!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed May 12, 2010 7:15 am

*bump*

Our broadband is still slow and clunky. Can we do something about it?
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am

I'd still like to know how many gigabytes we download per month, to be sure we won't fall afoul of any fair usage policies. Can anyone measure this and give me a rough figure?

Also, can anyone confirm that the slow speeds are due to lack of bandwidth and not the limitations of some ancient piece of hardware we have in our setup?

Thanks.

milk

Post by milk » Wed May 12, 2010 1:20 pm

i'm sure i've phoned BT about something a couple of years ago and they said that our connection always gets capped due to high usage after about a day into the month.

the best way we can combat this is by using the QoS settings on the WRT router. we have things setup which we think are working, but the firmware is ooold and doesn't have nifty features such as graphs for QoS differentiation and logs of individual machines throughput.

mike - could i ask that you have a look at upgrading the firmware? while i know there are various distros based on the OpenWRT (Gargoyle seems a together project) or DD-WRT which do nifty things, i'm afraid i don't have the lunix-fu to go about it. something that allows us to drill down to what traffic is going where and refine our QoS would be awesome if possible.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Wed May 12, 2010 1:24 pm

or maybe we could hack up an aerial or two to stick on the roof so we could start a Freifunk style community network...

(and *cough*darknet*cough*)

or maybe not.... ;)
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am

i (heart) the darknet
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 pm

neil wrote:I'd still like to know how many gigabytes we download per month, to be sure we won't fall afoul of any fair usage policies. Can anyone measure this and give me a rough figure?

Also, can anyone confirm that the slow speeds are due to lack of bandwidth and not the limitations of some ancient piece of hardware we have in our setup?

Thanks.
Bumpity-bumpity-bumpity-bump

Mike, you've been looking at this recently? Can we get some expert advice?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 am

I haven't had chance to check this out properly. I'll get some monitoring software running and see what data I can gather.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Thanks.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Our new router is running dd-wrt so I should be able to get some pretty decent figures soon.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 pm

I just called Be again. They're offering genuinely no limits (they say), up to 20meg broadband for £17.88 per month. I'm thinking we should just go for this. Be have a good reputation and it sounds like BT have been pretty shit lately? And Be is cheaper.

They will also give us a free router, which might be handy.

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Our new router is running dd-wrt so I should be able to get some pretty decent figures soon
New router?

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:40 pm

For £21.97 per month (extra £4) we can get a faster upload speed (2.5 instead of 1.3 meg) and one static IP address. Anyone think this would be worthwhile?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:10 pm

The old router went boom yesterday morning. We now have a dlink dir-615d, donated by Huw, running in its place.
Last edited by ChaoticReality on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Also, I support moving to Be and getting more upload speed (because we'll be doing some off-site backups with dropbox) and a static IP.
Mike

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

Yes!

nix

Post by nix » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

do it!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

We're averaging about 7 gigabytes of traffic a day at present.
Mike

milk

Post by milk » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm

yay, great work getting the the new router up and running mike :)

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks Mike.

I just found out BT have us signed up to a 2 year contract for broadband since February! This was done without authorization so I'm making a complaint in an attempt to extricate us.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am

Hmm, that's a bit dodgy.

Well, when you get Be sorted, chuck me the username and password for the PPoE and I'll get the router reconfigured.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Just got off the phone with highly annoying BT legalspeak person. They flatly refuse to give any ground on the contract. They are sending me an official statement of their legal position and telling me I should take it up with the telecoms regulator. So that, I suppose, is what I will do.

milk

Post by milk » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:13 pm

is this someone from the complaints dept? only they can change or cancel contracts just like that, iirc.