Camera advice

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
swithun

Camera advice

Post by swithun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am

I'm thinking of getting a new camera, a DSLR. I've had a Powershot G6 for the last year. I think it does all the digital type stuff I want a camera to do - preview pictures, shoots in RAW, rotatable screen. But I'm finding that using the screen and buttons to control everything is limiting, and I want something more like my old SLR, where I could see better what I was focussing on.

Looking at DSLR lenses, the common ones are all zoom lenses. I don't think zoom lenses really give you either extreme very well. I don't get the distortion of a proper wide angle, or the flattening of a proper telephoto. And the wide angle lenses I've looked at all make a virtue out of being non-distorting.

What do other people have? Do you think it is similar to what I'm looking for? Is it worth buying something more expensive than an EOS 450?

ravanwin

Re: Camera advice

Post by ravanwin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 am

pentax kd10 but I junked the original lens. works pretty good though. you can play with mine if you want .. ;)

R

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:47 am

the Nikon d40 or 60's are sposed to be good.

Ryan, i've still got those couple of Pentax lenses you can have, will try and find them for you.
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm

raise the roof. yup yup.
r

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the ideas. With some Pentax DSLRs, you can use old lenses, is that right? I think I'll have to get my hands on Ryan's beast before I spend my wad.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 pm

does it limit you to just Pentax lenses though? have they got a odd insertion technique? :lol: ...but seriously, do they?
It's like God's vagina!

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I bought a Sony Alpha 200 last year, which I'm very happy with. It's cheaper than the equivalent Canons and Nikons, and it's got image stablisation built into the body. The others I believe only have this in the more expensive lenses. Especially good for low light stuff.

Generally, you have to stick to a brand, since all the lens connections are specific to their brand.

dpreview and amazon are good places to read up.
I love the bomb.

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 pm

I looked at the Sony Alpha. But in the end, I've ordered a Pentax K10D. It is a bit pricier. But hopefully it will last a while, and I can get old lenses for less than new ones - and they last longer than camera bodies. The K10D does have some kind of shake reduction (SR), but I don't know if it requires modern lenses. I don't shoot much in low light, but every little helps I suppose.

I'm excited about it. I think I've pushed my Powershot G6 to the limit, though it is has a lot of features that newer, more expensive, cameras are lacking.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am

I'm pretty sure Shake Reduction is a process carried out inside the camera and the choice of lense shouldn't affect it.
It's like God's vagina!

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 am

shake reduction is both extrinsic from the camera and irrespectable to the lens used:

http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -your.html