Camera advice

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
swithun

Camera advice

Postby swithun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:36 am

I'm thinking of getting a new camera, a DSLR. I've had a Powershot G6 for the last year. I think it does all the digital type stuff I want a camera to do - preview pictures, shoots in RAW, rotatable screen. But I'm finding that using the screen and buttons to control everything is limiting, and I want something more like my old SLR, where I could see better what I was focussing on.

Looking at DSLR lenses, the common ones are all zoom lenses. I don't think zoom lenses really give you either extreme very well. I don't get the distortion of a proper wide angle, or the flattening of a proper telephoto. And the wide angle lenses I've looked at all make a virtue out of being non-distorting.

What do other people have? Do you think it is similar to what I'm looking for? Is it worth buying something more expensive than an EOS 450?
0 x

ravanwin

Re: Camera advice

Postby ravanwin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 am

pentax kd10 but I junked the original lens. works pretty good though. you can play with mine if you want .. ;)

R
0 x

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:47 am

the Nikon d40 or 60's are sposed to be good.

Ryan, i've still got those couple of Pentax lenses you can have, will try and find them for you.
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm

raise the roof. yup yup.
r
0 x

swithun

Postby swithun » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the ideas. With some Pentax DSLRs, you can use old lenses, is that right? I think I'll have to get my hands on Ryan's beast before I spend my wad.
0 x

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:07 pm

does it limit you to just Pentax lenses though? have they got a odd insertion technique? :lol: ...but seriously, do they?
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I bought a Sony Alpha 200 last year, which I'm very happy with. It's cheaper than the equivalent Canons and Nikons, and it's got image stablisation built into the body. The others I believe only have this in the more expensive lenses. Especially good for low light stuff.

Generally, you have to stick to a brand, since all the lens connections are specific to their brand.

dpreview and amazon are good places to read up.
0 x
I love the bomb.

swithun

Postby swithun » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 pm

I looked at the Sony Alpha. But in the end, I've ordered a Pentax K10D. It is a bit pricier. But hopefully it will last a while, and I can get old lenses for less than new ones - and they last longer than camera bodies. The K10D does have some kind of shake reduction (SR), but I don't know if it requires modern lenses. I don't shoot much in low light, but every little helps I suppose.

I'm excited about it. I think I've pushed my Powershot G6 to the limit, though it is has a lot of features that newer, more expensive, cameras are lacking.
0 x

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am

I'm pretty sure Shake Reduction is a process carried out inside the camera and the choice of lense shouldn't affect it.
0 x
It's like God's vagina!

Dandolo

Postby Dandolo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 am

shake reduction is both extrinsic from the camera and irrespectable to the lens used:

http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-cheap-image-stabilizer-for-your.html
0 x

Return to “Facilities”