how the cave gets its groove back.

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
pockets

how the cave gets its groove back.

Post by pockets » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:26 am

How the cave gets its groove back.

Hello people. I have been asked to create a list of ideas by Mr Nix for ways we could improve the quality of the cave, increase “profit” without increasing the price for using the “space”. The price is the only thing that the cave has going for it.

Ok, here we go, this is a serious pockets now.

I think that people don't respect the space because the space is not respectable, both aesthetically and in functionality. So in order to make the space work I would like to try this. Make it look and feel like a rehearsal room and not as a store room, or junkyard for broken shit.
And if we focus on the rehearsal aspect for the moment and do the recording aspect later in th year, it will be much easier.

1.I would like to remove all the stuff that is not needed for rehearsing and put is somewhere else (or chuck it out/sell it on). I mean how many fucking keyboards does a rehearsal room need.
2.Muscletusk's amps. I don't know the situation with them, whether they are paying for storage or not. I personally think that the should not be in there. Its a room for band to come and practice, not a store room.
3.The plug sockets on the walls. I have spoken to kim about them, and he says he is willing to fix em. Some of you may not know this but they are a joke. They are not even attached to the walls anymore, seriously dangerous.

Now moving onto how the room looks and sounds.

4.Curtains. If we have rails across all the walls of the room, and thick curtains, it would not only improve the sound of the space (the amps would not need to be so loud) but make it pleasing to the eye, and nice to be in.
5.The floor and ceiling.. The carpet is in a state, like really bad. What I really want to do is get a new carpet. But we can't, so lets get a rug to cover the worse part of the room. The ceiling is very funny. The carpet on the ceiling is doing nothing but dampen the sound in the room, NOT SOUND PROOFING. With the curtains up we can take the shitty carpet off the ceiling.
6.The store cupboard. Its a really nice room. If we take all the shit out for a week. Remover the sink and shelves, whack a couple of bowls of salt in there to soak up all the dampness, It will be a lovely store room, or future vocal booth.

Now onto the other stuff.

7.the mixer in the cupboard. It seams to work, but it reaks of burning dust when you turn it on. I think It needs a clean (inside and out) and then a little tlc (by a proffesional) and it would be a kick ass desk. Its a proffesional studio sound desk.
8.The keyboards. We only need one. Choose!
9.The corner of doom. Chuck the fucked brocken shit. Fix the almost broken shit.
10.Why do we have more drum stuff In there now. Where does it keep coming from. Its all useless unless we have the rest of it.
11.Pc. fix it or chuck it.
12.Cabs and amps at the back of the room. Cabs work, amps need love. Kims mate whak might look at them but he would need money for that. So ether fix em, punt em, or chuck em.

Now I may have pissed a lot of people off now, so feel free to attack me in the street. But its a joke the way its happening now, it cant get any worse.

Unfortunately I will not be able to make the cave meeting tomorrow night 16th april 2009 as I am hosting a night at the bowery. But I propose that the cave meeting after would be the big one, where we decide things and actually get this done. So I would like all sound team members and important cave members to come along. And if your in a band that uses the space to rehearse, come along and tell us what you think may improve it.

BIG CAVE MEETING ON THE 23RD APRIL.
Much love pockets
PLAYBOY POCKETS!

ChaoticReality

Re: how the cave gets its groove back.

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 am

The 23rd is the Forest fundraiser, so most of us will be elsewhere.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

pockets

Post by pockets » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 am

oh yeah, scratch that then. will arrange a CAVE DAY some point next week.
PLAYBOY POCKETS!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

nice.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 am

Good work Pockets!

I've got a couple of things to say from a health & safety (*groan*) point of view:

- Eeeeck!!! I didn't realise the sockets down there were so bad! Is Kim qualified to fix them? I thought he was a joiner? We really should get a proper electrician to look at them. I will try and get something sorted out, and will report back in time for Cave meeting.

- The new rug you speak of. Can we please gaffa-tape the edges down? Angela (H&S woman) gave me shit about not doing that with the carpet in the Crafty room. And it really would make sense in a room where there will be loads of equipment being lugged about.

That's all!

Thank you x

amelia

Post by amelia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:49 am

Great. That Cave could be amazing. It struck me as a most unappreciated and unrecognized space.

I needed it, and it's dampness and greyness and discard/lifelessness energy, always had me vacate it as soon as possible, when I really would have wanted to sound some more.

Good work :!: :)

pockets

Post by pockets » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:22 pm

well as i said i cannot make the cave meeting tonight.
PLAYBOY POCKETS!

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 pm

I've got my man Colin, the electrician, onto the sockets in the Cave.

So, no need to involve Kim!

Sam Xenomania

Post by Sam Xenomania » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:56 pm

That sounds good to me, but I think we could keep at least two or three keyboards, for some variety, and to have a spare. Maybe, if we sell some stuff, we could get a bass for the cave.

nix

Post by nix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 pm

thanks Pockets for taking this on!

at the cave meeting today we have done a lot to sort out the "shit" in the cave.

If Kim can take the sink out, then I think that would be great.

I will pass on the mail for Grant from Musletusk.

WHEN IS THE CAVE ACTION DAY?

pockets

Post by pockets » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 am

we should have a cave meeting with all the main people of teh cave together so we can dish out action points.
perhaps, this meeting could be on a day other than thursday to make it easyer for more people to make.

the action day should be two things.

1. not at the same time as the cafe sound team action day.
2. not the same day as cave meeting.

(I like lists!)

and, i think while we are doing it, we should close tha cave for 2 days. not together. so like 2 seperate days.

1st day, sort out all the shite in the cave like all the junk. remove sink. and all that jazz.
2nd day we sould make it look nice. (not fucking paint). curtains, rug, and then bam.

what days can people make (give me more than one) and i will arrange it.
PLAYBOY POCKETS!