old bb server files

neil

old bb server files

Post by neil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

There are various old copies and backups of the bb on the server. I intend to get rid of these and make a fresh backup of the currently used files. Any objections to this?

Duncan, Milk: most of the currently used bb files seem to have duplicates sitting next to them. Either of you got any idea what that's about?

ChaoticReality

Re: old bb server files

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:21 pm

What's the file extension of the backup?

I seem to recall the MOD installation unit in phpBB has an option to make a backup of any files changed by a mod even though the MOD format/standard has an easy way of undoing changes.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:01 pm

The ext is .bak

What is supposed to happen with these files when they are no longer relevant? Do they replace themselves at the necessary time? (ie before another mod or upgrade?)

milk

Post by milk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm

not sure myself. anyone know how easy it might be to setup a web/db backup cron job that could send it to another server?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 am

Shouldn't be too hard.

Does Barnabas offer a backup service? If not, we can set up a backup to go to someone's box via rsync.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm

asked.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:08 am

"The servers are backed up daily and weekly, but your welcome to backup your own server."

so, who wants to host a backup? is there a method one can use to log changes in backups also?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:55 am

rsync should be able to work with diff to make incremental backups.

I have tonnes of free space on a least one colo-ed box and so can store backups if needed/wanted.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:01 pm

The files need to be backed up whenever they are changed, which is not all that often. It's the database that needs regular, scheduled updates.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I mean backups, not updates

milk

Post by milk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 am

ah doh, yes, dbs are the more important.

what's the best way to make a dump that can be backed up?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:31 am

AFAIK, phpBB has a way of dumping the SQL data to a set of queries which it then gzips and you can download to wherever.
Mike