iMac jukebox ressurection

neil

iMac jukebox ressurection

Post by neil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm going to re-write the hard drive of the old iMac jukebox very soon. If there is any music that needs to be salvaged from this, better speak up now or it will be losted forever!

ravanwin

Re: iMac jukebox ressurection

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:46 pm

um. save it all? that's all our music man....

r

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:47 pm

I assume most of it is on the Forest Music Backup DVD set that I have but would be a good idea to take a copy anyway.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:55 pm

On the iMac? You may as well back it up before wiping it, no harm in more backups, but it only has a really old and partial copy of our music, me and Erik got everything off there and onto the external hard drive that's now connected to the laptop jukebox, and we also backed it up onto DVD at least twice although I'm not sure of the whereabouts of either set or even how many exist (amazing memory here). Plus I think Erik has a copy of it all on his hard drive.

Probably about time someone made a new backup from the external HD now.

I didn't know you had a set Mike, that's good. Track record shows we lose backups and forget to make them. I think a good solution is for lots of different people to have copies. I'm guessing you made that when you had to reinstall the OS on the laptop (or whatever you did), that would make yours the latest backup. New backups should be made from the HD itself cause that's got everything that's been ripped since the last backup. I heartily encourage anyone with the time and the storage media to make themselves a backup and take it home.

What's it being resurrected for anyway?
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Good stuff, Chombee. I've just copied it all to my laptop but it can't stay there for long as it's taking up most of the hard drive! If, as you say, it's already been salvaged, I won't worry myself about it.

Of course, what we need is a massive HD somewhere that automatically backs up everything at regular intervals. I suppose that's easier said than done, though.

The iMac is being rejuvenated for use in the shop. They need something for stock/accounts etc and to play music. I would also like to spend a few quid in order to put it on the internet. This would help keep the shop vollies from terminal boredom, and also make it easier to back up & transfer accounts. I would need to buy a slightly obscure adaptor thingy to put the iMac on wifi - much easier and less messy than hardwiring it into the network - any objections? (It would be under £10)

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm

neil wrote:I would need to buy a slightly obscure adaptor thingy to put the iMac on wifi - much easier and less messy than hardwiring it into the network - any objections? (It would be under £10)
Sounds good to me.
chombee wrote:and we also backed it up onto DVD at least twice although I'm not sure of the whereabouts of either set or even how many exist (amazing memory here).

<snip>

I didn't know you had a set Mike, that's good.
I think my DVD set is one of those. I have several sets which I combined into one, eliminating dupes. One was a few discs Ryan gave me, one is what I could salvage off the old HD, one came from you and Erik (I think) and the rest is what I already had collected.
chombee wrote: New backups should be made from the HD itself cause that's got everything that's been ripped since the last backup. I heartily encourage anyone with the time and the storage media to make themselves a backup and take it home.
Does the laptop have a DVD-Burner? If not, I'll bring my machine in and do a new, complete set when I get the time.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 pm

The iMac is almost ready for the shop, except that one of the SDRAM sticks is fucked. It's PC100, 168 pin. Pretty old-fashioned. Any chance we have something like this lying around?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:35 pm

I think I have some somewhere. I'll have a look this week.
Mike

marmot

Post by marmot » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:54 pm

eh....
someone stole the laptop in the cafe. we need to have the music there.
is there any chance to put it in the cafe?

milk

Post by milk » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:02 pm

at the last Action WG meet (wow, last Action WG minutes on the bb were from Feb?! whoopsy), it was discussed that the iMac could be used by Anna, Hannah, et al for shop accounts and keeping track of stock.

mike says that there is a laptop available to be the jukebox. he has been busy recently but i'm assuming this will be sorted out in the next few days if possible.
Last edited by milk on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: s/is p/if p
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:57 am

Yup. I was going to set it up before I left for London but was still waiting on the power supply. I'll check with Andy where it is so I can set the machine up.
Mike

neil

Post by neil » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 pm

This is in the shop now. Could also potentially be a temp music source for the cafe. But it's useless until it gets more RAM! Anyone????

It needs at least 256MB of PC100/133. It is old RAM - your old PC or Mac might have some...

Or we could buy for about £30...

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 pm

There is a stash of old RAM in my flat but I'm not back for another week. Definitely a fair bit of PC100/133 in there but not sure if there's anything bigger than a 128MB stick individually. If it's urgent I could arrange for one of you to get it via one of my flatmates.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks Martin. We need at least 256 on one stick. I've just realised these can be had fairly cheap off eBay. I'll try to order a 512 if no objections. Should be under a tenner.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 am

RAM upgraded. Shop people: you can now use all the applications, and use more than one at a time!

Broken CD drive replaced - working now!

Dead PRAM battery replaced.