filming/ recording of performances

spark

filming/ recording of performances

Post by spark » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:26 pm

(If there is a thread on this somewhere, please point me to it)
When I and others perform, there are those who film and record. Once, while on the sek, I had just performed a poem and someone came over and showed me the photoes he took of me on stage. He asked for my email and offered to send me them eventually when he got back to Eastern Europe. If only other selfish types would do the same, but they don't.
This is the only person ever to offer to do this.
My myspace (crap) has little or no film or pictures etc of me and there are these people taking without offering anything in return. How do people feel about this ongoing issue? I can see both sides to it as we want to get our work out there. If their films of me ever become worth anything, money may be worthless by then, so........
There is one person who I asked to take a few of me for my yspace and he is either refusing to send, or simply can't get it together. I am tired of this lack of facilities within the forest to get people out there, or is it just that I don't know that a camera exists for instance?
This subject is not likely to go away.
LOVE IS CHANGING EVERYTHING

Jane

Re: filming/ recording of performances

Post by Jane » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 pm

what is the sek?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 pm

According to this...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SEK
SEK 14 up, 1 down
scene/emo kid.

1. A SEK is most commonly seen at open mics and small, underground shows. A SEK is most commonly male. He is normally seen with a group of girls wearing mini-skirts over spandex leggings, which are usually cut mid-calf. If you're lucky, you'll see a SEK wearing colossal white-rimmed sunglasses and little hair barrettes. A SEK always wears stylish pants. A vast majority of the SEK population rocks the chick-pants. SEKs vary in personality, so even though they dress like most everyone else on MySpace, you should probably try to be friends with them.
"Oh. Ehm. Gee. I was at open mic last week, and there were, like, SO many little SEKs doing their hardcore two-steps to acoustic melodies. They're just so SCENE."
the more you think, the more you stink

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:48 pm

I see. I like.
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

milk

Post by milk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:34 pm

spark wrote:I can see both sides to it as we want to get our work out there.

If only other selfish types would do the same, but they don't.
if you're saying they're selfish then i don't think you do see both sides ;)

there's no social onus or convention on anyone sending images taken of a performer to them afterwards. finding images of yourself online without asking is potluck and the result of chaotic social dynamics and circumstances, and when you do ask, well, you have to understand that some people just can't be arsed, and that's fair enough as everyone has their own priorities in life.

you really have to organise someone who's available and has at least basic photography skills to take snaps.
I am tired of this lack of facilities within the forest to get people out there, or is it just that I don't know that a camera exists for instance?
there is/used to be a digital barred cam around - maybe that could be borrowed if any artist or act wants promo shots taken?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

spark

Post by spark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 pm

A "sek" is a mixing 'desk', or my bad grammar. Interesting translation otherwise.
Yes, I will see to it myself. Everything has its time and place, including moving forward as an artist. For whatever reasons, it is accurate I guess that I am where I am.
I am not trying to blame judge or guiltrip anyone.
If there is a forest (an arts charity) camera, how many are aware of it? I will find my own way.
In future, I could ask people not to film or record the performance if I feel this way.
There may be recordings of my songs out there which I myself have not recorded, which can cause an uneasy feeling, especially when we feel like we are not moving forward, an illusion, but it can feel real enough. When we are performing for free and getting nothing back from it. The situation is not helped by the financial corporate pyramid strructures who put a price on everything, well, except artists, people have now been educated to expect their art/ music for free while anything corporate involves a charge. I look forward to their demise, and there will be no mercy shown to them.
Thanks for the genuine feedback, though if I can stimulate a bit of humour in others fine. Idf you are a spelling freak, your problem.
The problem I have with this conversation is that people may assume that I am talking about me personally, when I am talking about all performers, and the future. Things can sort themselves out sometimes.
peace.
LOVE IS CHANGING EVERYTHING

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:08 pm

spark wrote: The problem I have with this conversation is that people may assume that I am talking about me personally, when I am talking about all performers, and the future.
I'm a regular performer at the Forest and you aren't talking about me. Perhaps before you claim to speak for a large group, you should check said group actually agrees with what you are saying.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:45 pm

I see it as free promotion to be honest.
It's like God's vagina!