Artist for the toilet.

Front of House, garden etc.
nix

Artist for the toilet.

Post by nix » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 pm

There is an artist, Talulah, who wants to paint in the toilet area.

I will post as soon as she sends me a proposal.

thanks.

milk

Re: Artist for the toilet.

Post by milk » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 pm

sounds good in principal.

the graff in there is getting out of hand once again...
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

amelia

Post by amelia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Gotta say though guys, it was the state of cleanliness in there over the festival period, that impressed me! Was lovely to be in there when a couple of girls stayed in there chatting for ages and putting on makeup. I thought it looked good - art always helps.

nix

Post by nix » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:34 am

Talulah has this proposal:

2009/10/22 tallulah lines <>

hello, i'm sending you a couple of pictures of mine for you to have a wee look at...they're all just photos of stuff from my sketchbook because all my actual good stuff is unfortunately down in newcastle at home...my idea for the toilet space of the forest would be to do loads of big old line drawings of different characters using and abusing public toilets, mostly using black and white but maybe throwing some fluorescent in there too. They'd be in the style of the junkie sketch i'm attaching. They'd be pretty funny, i'm not trying to make a serious critique of the downward plummet of society today like..unless you want me to...but mostly i was just inspired by all the vile graffitti currently on the walls of the forest toilets! let me know what you think. i think my pal simon is gonna get in touch with you too with some of his stuff but i'll also send you an email right after this one with a link to his flickr site. cheers! tallulah x

===

Dear Tallulah,
Thanks for getting back in touch. Pictures are good (I particularly like the one with the dog). I will put these up on the Forest BB so that other people can leave comments, but I am sure that you'll be in here doing a painting soon enough. My personal comments would be that whatever you can do to make our toilets look and feel less grim would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

NiX.

--
sketches oct 09 001.JPG
sketches oct 09 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nix

Post by nix » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 am

and these:
sketches oct 09 005.JPG
sketches oct 09 007.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nix

Post by nix » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:39 am

her mate Simon has no proposal but a link is here:

amelia

Post by amelia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:31 am

Not keen.

"Looking less grim", I agree.

Toilets can be uplifting to energy, or in the very least maintain energy from falling. I am not keen for anything that may disturb anyone in there. It is a place that we all need to go in, however we are feeling and from whatever cultural background etc. Also, many people are unhappy these days - let's not depress them more during their manditory bodily action! :lol:

Like the artistry skill though, has the artist some more upbeat ideas :?:

nix

Post by nix » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 pm

tallulah lines -- 24 October 2009 15:17

"Haha no problem about making it less grim..I have a truly pleasant idea involving the sea, birds and a really lovely dream that my friend had so if the original idea for the toilet space doesn't appeal I can alter it to this new one!"

simone

Post by simone » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm

yes, a happy mural for the grim toilets would be great
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

Kata

Post by Kata » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:01 pm

I agree, happier looking toilets would be nice for a change. can you post the rough plans for the toilets? because it would be great to know more about this.

Cheers Tallulah!

Kata

Post by Kata » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I have an idea about the toilets.Tallulah could design the walls that are outside of the two box rooms with the actual toilets, if she still want to do her proposal. and we could paint the box rooms with board paint, and fix few chalks to the walls with a chain, and have some funky lights in the boxrooms (disco balls, and lights). What do you think?

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:18 pm

blackboard toilets with disco balls would be awesome! x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

dan

Post by dan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 pm

how do you put chalks on a chain?
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 pm

byoc

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Kata

Post by Kata » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:34 pm

We can fix them to something else. I just thought that with chains or something that is hard to cut chalks will not hang around on the floor. But I thing if the holes are big enough in the chain we can just fit them in. But they might just hang around anyway cause people will probably not put them back to the chains, but we can try.

Martin, What does byoc mean? :)

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Bring Your Own Chalk. Like Bring Your Own Booze, but less fun.

milk

Post by milk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

i'm sure there are some teetotal graff loving folks out there who would beg to disagree with you swith, you insensitive clod.

i can't see the chain thing as working. chalk would end up on the floor and get disgusting. put a pub on the shelve with a message saying something along the lines of "pretty tripple please put the chalk back in the tub".

but, stepping back and thinking about it, shit (literally), the chalk is going to get disgusting anyway. you don't want to eat the free peanuts in a bar. well, if someone washed them every few days..

boyc may be the easiest route to take on this one..
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

nix

Post by nix » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I have tried this one.

I painted the toilets black and regularly provided chalk.

the effect was interesting...

a lot of people used chalk to write things.
a lot of people used pens and scratching techniques to write things.
a lot of people complained the toilets where dark and deathlike.

if you are going to do this, I suggest you use cheap black emulsion rather than board paint that costs a bomb.

thanks.

nix

Post by nix » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:40 pm

milk wrote:put a pub on the shelve
I don't think we have the license for that .. could be a money spinner, though...

milk

Post by milk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 pm

in one end and out the other, at the same time!

amelia

Post by amelia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 am

There is green chalk board paint. I found it in the same brand tin as the black, when I put up chalkboard paint walls in a two of the rooms in the last place I lived. Looked good. A matt dark forest green :? .

I like the under the sea idea too.. I like the connection with being responsible for the sea, when in a bathroom. It all ends up out there. I have reminders of nature and the sea etc in mine.

How to 'join' artistically a chalkboard & disco toilet room with the sea concept however, or does it matter? What I saw immediately was a throne, in a sculpture form around the toilet structure, praps from papermache or plaster of paris and painted gold. This gives me an underwater adventure idea like a dream or a film clip or something, and somehow blends it in in my mind....weird...

What I do like is maybe having the little toilet rooms different. I like one having the websites and contacts of every help organisation avail for whatever thing, eg rape crisis, incest,drug addiction support, abortion counselling, etc etc. In a permanent situation maybe on the back of the door.

One toilet room could have lots of stuff going on like with the info and graffiti and chalk walls and such, and the other...minimalism, zen nothingness perhaps. A clear light colour, maybe in blue with clouds or water spray in white painted on. Or some other contrasting themes.
I like also these two rooms being different as nothing about gender or human sexuality differences but just two different rooms because there are two...why need they be the same.

What if the chalk was in a cool dispenser on the back of the door, like one of those gumball kinda things so that the very action of putting it back was enjoyable...?? Or a cage ball dangling from the ceiling... :?

amelia

Post by amelia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Yeah absolutely the chalk could get so gross on the floor in the wet...yuk, but someone I'm dating suggested leaving one wall a different colour and with an actual pen - permanent texta-on a string/rope/chain, so whoever had a sitdown job to do in the toilet could add their own energy & creativity & essence to the space still.

Or what if we were so bold to draw a huge yoni & penis in there, one painted on either door would be great. 8)

nix

Post by nix » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:50 am

amelia wrote: Or what if we were so bold to draw a huge yoni & penis in there, one painted on either door would be great.
cock and baws is a regular theme in the toilet.

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:53 am

but who dares draw the yoni?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:46 pm

DIY gynacology

BYOY

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:19 pm

nix wrote:
amelia wrote: Or what if we were so bold to draw a huge yoni & penis in there, one painted on either door would be great.
cock and baws is a regular theme in the toilet.
cock and baws is a regular theme of humanity
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

amelia

Post by amelia » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 am

Tallulah would dare draw a yoni I bet...

:idea: What about a mural of us in all our diversities? Nudie bodies. Varying skin colours & hair colours and structural differences. Men, women, bodies with breasts & a penis, a yoni & a penis together on a body, she-males, both genders, every possible combination there....

Going by Tallulah's junkie art work human body, maybe she would do a great job.

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Disco balls seem to have fallen off the agenda. I vote for their immediate re-instatement...
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

amelia

Post by amelia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Disco balls and carpet on the walls...like a niteclub here years ago...

nix

Post by nix » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 am

i'm down with disco balls in the toilet.

It seems Tallulah will paint the outer part, with the sinks and the cubicals will stay Aluminum, with disco balls and flashylights.

I'll install em.

Susana

Post by Susana » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm

I like very much this last idea.
As for drawings of genitals and all the variety.. sure anyone can copy from books. And if in any doubt, ask me, I am a doctor :wink: :wink:
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Kata

Post by Kata » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:41 pm

so these are the plans that Tallulah wants to do down in the toilets, with colours of course:

milk

Post by milk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 pm

coolies :)

amelia

Post by amelia » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:18 am

Yeah I agree with mr milk, that'd work. Also the nude thing I do not see as being necessarily 'speciminial' but like you walk into a crowd or suddenly find yourself standing amongst/alongside a crowd. A crowd of bodies, naked, with general hues of skin colour and differing haircolours. The protuding bits and/or dangly bits are just there also, not full frontal encyclopedia illustrations. I think this'd be cool somewhere there...