Front of House rejoining Visual Arts?

Lynne

Front of House rejoining Visual Arts?

Post by Lynne » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi folks

I would like to propose that the Front of House Working Group re-joins the Visual Arts Working Group.

The Front of House Working Group has never gotten off the ground. Kata who is bottom-liner has only had ONE meeting where other people have attended (Ryan and Tove!).

I think it would be better for Kata to be a part of a group that actually functions as a group so that she feels like part of the Forest community.

Surely it would not take long to discuss front of house issues during the Visual Art meetings? (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I also think 5 working groups are enough and there is no need to have a separate Front of House group.

But please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

stephengoodall

Re: Front of House rejoining Visual Arts?

Post by stephengoodall » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Surely it would not take long to discuss front of house issues during the Visual Art meetings?
You'd be suprised lol

I can understand the reasoning for suggesting this. I guess it is important that Kata and FOH decisions have a meeting to come to and if FOH isn't sustainable as a group then it should probably be VA. Also there may be something problematic about the VA WG just being the TK WG, becasue then it is not really a working group and more of just an independant group akin to Forest Publishing, Records or Old Hat Books for example

Originally the groups were split because some of those who were keen on FOH didn't want to have to listen to gallery chat and vice versa.

It wasn't intended to be a seperate WG and i'm not sure at what point that happened. The idea of a seperate group was to identify who was keen to address FOH issues and give those people a degree of autonomy to make decisions about it, rather than always having to stick it on the bb, suffer endless discussions about what colour etc.

one solution would be to consider dealing with any FOH issues at the beginning of the VA meeting, allowing those not interested in gallery chat to leave when the relevant stuff had been covered.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:37 pm

I would have thought that FoH is more cafe and events.

Sticking it at the start of TK where I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) they have a pretty ongoing structured meeting discussion similar to what we do at publishing would probably not help feel part of a group (in fact would probably do the opposite), whereas I would think C&E has a more open and flexible group of people who want to take on new projects. (not that TK people are inflexible, just that they are working longer term and have fixed things that they're doing, like already working on tkx with their crazy futuristic abbreviations).

But I don't know, are most people who show up at VA meetings people who want to work on the gallery specifically or on arty projects generally?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 am

think i agree with jane on this unless tk is keen to take it on?
r

simone

Post by simone » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:47 am

it was decided at a va meeting earlier in year to make foh seperate as people at the meeting were generally only interested in the gallery side of things and then people who wanted to foh were bored or left after foh had been discussed. this makes for a disjointed meeting. as far as i can remember it was not meant to have a seperate meeting but to get people together to discuss foh informally. a few of us met tove earlier in the year to discuss the cafe and tables etc and help get the group of the ground. lots got done on the cafe at that time, painting, sanding etc and maybe it fell into a lull after. i don't think that it needs a whole seperate meeting and i agree it is more cafe and events if it needs to go somewhere.
putting a call out for help and then having an informal meeting in the cafe seemed to work well. maybe she could continue this way and then go to cafe and events for support. does she go to this meeting anyway rather than having to go to an extra meeting? using the bb is a good tool for ideas and manpower.
i agree with jane, somehow that gallery has become seperate but i think this has allowed us to focus on putting on good shows and events. i don't want us to seem that we want to be insular but i think foh does not work in this meeting from my experience.
hope that is useful.
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

Jane

Post by Jane » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't think it's a case of being insular, anyone can get involved in TK, but wanting to curate a gallery is a very different thing to wanting to decorate a cafe and paint on walls. I think TK is doing AMAZING work right now.

I agree about the calls for help and informality. People have been saying for a while that the original working groups thing that shannon and chris went to, the people were surprised at how much our meetings were for talking instead of just getting together and doing things. A fun FoH meeting could work as part of a building day or cleaning day time, when there was a time each week (fortnight/month) when people actually got together to make the place look nice. Because let's face it, meetings are pretty boring. Getting shit done is good. Let's not feel we need to put people in meetings for the sake of meetings.

x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

neil

Post by neil » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Good points! I've been thinking for a while that Behind the Scenes meets would
be better spent fixing computers & the web instead of just talking about it.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for your thoughts folks!

So, am I right in thinking the consensus is that it would be better if FoH joined Cafe & Events?

That sounds fair enough to me.

:)

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:49 pm

simone wrote:as far as i can remember it was not meant to have a seperate meeting but to get people together to discuss foh informally. a few of us met tove earlier in the year to discuss the cafe and tables etc and help get the group of the ground.
Thanks for that Simone! Good advice :wink:

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 pm

I also think FOH + Cafe and Events is a better fit than FOH + VA, for all the reason suggested above.
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

milk

Post by milk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 am

Sounds like a FWG consensus? Woo!
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku