event calendar

milk

event calendar

Post by milk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

i'd like to get the event calendar working better. here's some good inspiration.

can't get view arguments to display by both date AND taxonomy term, aaargh.

lynne said adding an event to the Drupal site is way easier than adding one to aecalendar, so it would be good to get it's functionality on the main site, but filtering by what category of event it is would be required.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Re: event calendar

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I can sit down and have a look at it with you at some point if you want.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

cool, thanks. web team meet coming up soonish..
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

next tuesday evening good for you?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:52 am

Yes.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:47 am

mike - i was wrong, the date argument in the url uses hyphens to demark the datetime variables (i.e., "2010-02-03").

the path for the test View (event_calendar2) is set to "eventcalendar2/%/%" (%'s being arguments that are passed into the view).

the Arguments for the event_calendar2 view (NOTE: this is for the 'Calendar page' display, not the defaults, just in case) are set to;

"Date: Date (node) Content: Date & Time (field_event_start) - From date
Taxonomy: Parent term"

so http://theforest.org.uk/eventcalendar2/ ... 3/workshop should only display 2 items, but it shows them all and i can't understand where i'm missing a trick.

firstly, in the options for setting an argument to be "Taxonomy: Parent term", it doesn't let one choose from what taxonomy ('Event type' or 'Event location') the term should be from. maybe it's just agnostic and should be able to compute either.

(the difference between "Taxonomy: Parent term" and "Taxonomy: Term" should be moot here - neither taxonomy is set to be hierarchical, and i've tried setting it to both)

if i flip the arguments around ("Taxonomy: Parent term", then "Date: Date (node) Content: Date & Time (field_event_start) - From date") then i get a blank calendar, even when trying to preview with wildcards for both arguments ("all/all")......

but if i override the title of the page in the taxonomy argument options to be "test title - %1, %2", it comes out with "test title - February, 2010, workshop", so it is getting it..

(i tried turning on validation, i.e., so it validates the second argument is an actual taxonomy term, but if it's already getting it but not acting on it then that wouldn't help anyway)

a great overview of Views arguments can be found here

joachim

Post by joachim » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Milk

I can't find where you've posted about events that go over midnight appearing on two days.
But yes, they do: I've just tested this on a classic calendar view.

It's pretty much by design -- the calendar has no way of knowing that 10pm-2am is fundamentally different to say 3pm-11am (like a 2-day event).
But we can make the theme aware of this; while we're at it we could roll a patch to contribute it back to Calendar module as a feature.

milk

Post by milk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:55 pm

there was a hack patchthat i tried which was meant to not see an event item as a 2 day thing unless the time crossed 5am on the second date. i didn't get it to work in the end...

n.b. this was only an issue during the fringe when we had events finishing at 1am, though these will return again in a few months..