new proposal for the front room

Front of House, garden etc.
Kata

new proposal for the front room

Post by Kata » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:45 pm

This proposal was first for the gallery but it was forwarded to the Front of House, and she would be interested in doing it in the front room instead of the gallery, which is really great:

"Gridlocked
Setup
I would like to use the window gallery space to install the Gridlocked figures one of which in the attached images and create a surreal 'everyday' environment as they sit on chairs and relax in the environment. They are made with a street shop front in mind and would look fantastic looking out to the flow of traffic outside visible day/ night. I would set them up to appear to interact with each other but obviously unable to causing a tension for the viewers, as they walk into the space.

Theme
The Gridlocks are a humourous and exaggerated take on the 'stuck in the system perspective'. They fail to listen and fail to communicate - unsure whether they are literally comming or going- resting, thinking, working, playing etc and literally boxed unable to communicate or listen. The viewer is quite separate from the machanics of the figures.

Materials
They are life size made from steel, plaster. clothing, glass. hallogen lighting and ceramic (hands/ neck)

Requirements
I am flexible and would work to the space seeing how they work best to impact from the street and internally as viewers come in. I would need a power point/ extention to plug them in and will source chairs tables etc. considering making a chess board for them have them or one standing by the window. Depending on how they look I may wall paper or draw sketches of domestic objects on the walls if needed. Help with installation would be great but not essential. Would take a day to 'set up house', so to speak.

I am based in Haddington and would be happy in come in to discuss if you are interested. I experimented with him to see how people responded in a summer exhibition locally in a teenagers skate park. Hope you enjoy the images and feel free to contact me if you have any questons or would like further stetches etc."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kata

Re: new proposal for the front room

Post by Kata » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:47 pm

More pictures of her work:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:48 pm

love them!
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 pm

could be interesting for a spell.
r

dan

Post by dan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:19 pm

into it.
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Nice...make sure she knows there's a good chance they'll get broken?

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm

dig this.

Kata

Post by Kata » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:08 pm

yeah, I wrote that to her we cannot look after them all the time and the might get ruined since they would sit among customers,, but she seems interested anyway.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:59 pm

awesome!

get her to do it!

xxxxxxxxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Kata

Post by Kata » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:07 pm

so I met Linda on Saturday, and she really liked the front room, and she would like to install them in the Polish corner :) or where the armchairs and the library is. She cannot do it before January though, because there will be two figures but there's only 1 ready, and she needs to do the other one. However, She is thinking about intsalling the first one a bit earlier and then the second one which is not yet ready would join in later.
so hurraaay they are going to come and sit in the front room!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

i love the fact that it is now officially called the polish corner, i wonder these mannequins will be as much trouble.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 pm

So... here it is! Goodly stuff!
lights.jpg
the more you think, the more you stink

simone

Post by simone » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm

well done guys
he looks great
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:25 pm

yeah looks good
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 pm

I forgot they were being installed and as I came into the Forest the other day I walked straight past it and did a double take about 5 steps later.

Superb!
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Here a couple of shots with my new wide angle lens.
IMGP2502_small.jpg
IMGP2503_small.jpg

Kata

Post by Kata » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Cool pictures! Im going to send them over to Linda!

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 pm

She can get full size ones from this Flickr set.

Kata

Post by Kata » Sat May 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Our Traffic light man went away today for some repairment, he lost two fingers during that 3-4 months that he was here. Luckily he was here for a longer time than we planned, and I think it was amazing to have him in the front room. But people can have the space again in the window now, and changes can happen in that space.

I'll meet Linda again on this Wednesday though, because I think that it would be more than great to have him again during the festival, and have his partner as well that Linda didnt have time to make this time. So this way, the original thought that it would be another figure coming later in time, accompanying the first man could happen. What do people think about this?

If you have any more pictures or comments about the traffic light man, just post it here and I will send it to her, because she would be happy to hear more feedback.
cheers

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat May 15, 2010 5:19 pm

I thought it was great! Even after the first few days, I was still doing double takes after I walked in. Especially the one time when someone was pretending to play chess with him.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...