Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
User avatar
scoutwinter
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:00 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby scoutwinter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:30 pm

yo!
wisdom within!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Catalina
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Catalina » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:52 pm

as promised, here's the rota for august that we made. comments and suggestions are welcome, licensing days might change. otherwise you'll find this in the kitchen in two weeks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

User avatar
Catalina
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Catalina » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm

ops, forgot to log catalina out and myself in. hannah xx.
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

User avatar
scoutwinter
Posts: 733
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:00 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

here's the words

Postby scoutwinter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Swith suggested I put the whole lot up here so people WITHOUT open office can read it. So, read it!

Cafe & Events meeting July 1st 2010

Attended by: Huw, Bridget, Hannah, Catalina, Cornelia, Stevie P, Nix, Mike B

Agenda

1.Fire Training
2.Festival
a. Rota
b. what supplies we need
2.Microwave & Rice Cookers
3.Portion sizes/Standardisation
4.Next NM training
5.Alcohol training
6.Volly Party – Monday 5th 8pm
7.Menu suggestions – smoothies etc.

1. Fire Training: Nix must train all Duty Managers. KM's and NM's must train all volunteers – take them to the corridor outside the volly cupboard and make them read the Fire Action Plan. Also show them all fire exits, extinguishers and call points (red boxes).AP – Nix to put new thread on NM Forum to arrange NM training.

2.Festival:
a) Hannah & stevie talked about festival rota. We are licensed from 5th August - 5th September. Hannah has made a mock-up rota allowing for us to stay open until 3am... reality may be a little different.
Stevie - we have applied for a 5am license on Sat 14th August for the X Birthday party, may not get it though.
Hannah – we need lots of volunteers, and have decided to split the NM shift from 7-12pm and 12-4am.
Nix – concern is with keeping the late shift NM sober – might be very hard...
Stevie – since the licensing act has changed this is much more important to enforce this year... we don't know if we're having bouncers every night yet... “adequate cover” isn't clearly defined yet...
Nix - any time we're open after 1am we will need SIA trained door staff.
Catalina – it will be easier to have them every night...
Stevie – some bouncers have in the past just taken dislike to people. This is also a big part of the Event Manager's job...
Hannah – the main changes to the rota – added a 7-10pm shift. More shorter shifts because the shifts can be more stressful
Stevie – basically the same rota as last year but added late NM shift and extra 7-10 shift...
AP – Hannah will post up the draft rota to this thread for comments.
AP – Rota for August will be up in 2 weeks time. (potentially Gaia will do this, otherwise Scoutt will make sure it's done)

b) BOOZE Stevie – have to think about SPACE especially for storing frozen stuff and booze.
Mike – what about plastic cups
Stevie – let's talk about beer first... beer cupboard in the back of the fridge. Last year was a bit chaotic, so this year will be just Joker, Midnight Sun, 80 Red, Fraoch, Ceilidh, Birds & Bees? Basically 1 light beer, 1 amber, 1 dark + Fraoch.
Jane and Stevie have the alcohol action point & will feed back decisions to us. Cairnomore wines? Sell by bottle and glass.
Nix – need to have legal stainless steel wine measures. Device has to be “marked at manufacture”
Mike – needs to have “British Standard Kite Mark” on the bottom to be legal
AP – booze crew will order legal measures (Stevie) 275ml.
Stevie – booze discussion will continue at another meeting. Ginger beer is also an option.
Nix – please stock Fentiman's 750mL soft drinks for non-alco people. Can order from Greencity.
Bridget – what about cider
Stevie – Weston cider from Broughton Ales. Wines from Great Grog.

STORAGE SPACE -
Bridget – can we get an extra freezer
where to put it???
Stevie – maybe in the screenprinting room
Stevie – little freezer is also not working very well, -8 is not cold enough. Need to have a good sort out of the drystore – can use disposable plates if necessary when cafe is super busy. Need to order more glasses etc. Decision on plastic cups was – in the past we got biodegradable plastic cups from Williams Bros, these cups only make a difference if COMPOSTED and can't be recycled... Recyclable plastic glasses are half the price, so decision was to get those.
Stevie – to aid with difficulties of people putting shit in wrong bins, put pictures on the tops of the bins.
Mike – can we get recyclable cups that are made from recycled plastic too?
Stevie – we can look into it
AP – Mike to look into recycled/recyclable plastic cup supplies
Hannah – wheelie bins in the cafe for recycling?
Stevie – put extra recycling bins in the lobby/stairway. No glass outside. Maybe not allowed to have drinks outside at all
Mike – unless they state otherwise, it's ok to have drinks outside in plastic cups etc. May have time restrictions on that though due to noise.
Stevie – maybe we need to order some more bins from Nisbetts – maybe 4 or 5 new bins... to use upstairs etc.
Mike – need to organise more recycling pickups from Allied & Viridor, maybe 1 or 2 extra pickups...
Stevie – Viridor glass pickups – Mon, Wed, Fri. Mixed recycling – about the same.
AP – Scoutt will talk with Dave about recycling pickups
AP – Stevie will order new bins
Stevie – need to order extra from Greencity in preparation for festival. eg. 5 or 6 of each kind of fizzy drink, extra juices, oil, rice, tortilla chips etc.
Stevie – make chutney to keep for festival
Bridget – easy salads eg. coleslaw
Stevie – if a curry is made during festival then just put it straight in the fridge rather than freezing.

3.Microwaves/Rice cookers
Stevie – 2 different rice cookers – one for burritos and one for curry/chilli. Maybe get bigger ones... let's look into rice cookers... maybe during the festival we can use all 4 parts of the bain marie.
AP – Bridget to look into rice cookers, Nisbetts catalogue & googling.
White microwave is fucked, needs replacing.
Stevie – cheapest catering microwaves from Nisbetts around 150quid. maybe for now, just get a freecycle microwave or something... get a reconditioned commercial microwave. Microwaves with 1 year warranty around 280quid.
AP – Cornelia will post a FreeCycle add saying the Forest is looking for and desiring microwaves.
AP – stevie to look into reconditioned microwaves & check with FWG about expenditure.
Laundry machine?? order aprons and teatowels – screenprint aprons for festival...
AP – call for designs for screenprints, scoutt to put a post on public forum asking for submissions for apron designs.
Stevie – can get washing machine/tumbledryer, put in either cleaning cupboard or screenprinting room. May not be any room in screenprinting room. Proposal to put the washer/dryer in the cleaning cupboard... electricity is a concern...
Scoutt – get a washer dryer and use backgreen to air dry stuff when possible
AP – Stevie to talk to Magda about washer/dryer and then propose at next FWG meeting.
AP – Bridget & Cornelia will look into mini-freezer to go underneath the canopener area in the kitchen

4.Portions/Standardisation
Hannah – how do we make sure that all volunteers know about correct sizes...
Huw – how about weighing things
- too complicated
Stevie – we have same sized ladles and salad spoons. Let's re-do the making food instructions. Make them into pictures, helps with dyslexia/language barriers...
AP - all KM's get together with someone who wants to make the instructions etc and make perfect examples of everything – Huw to take photographs – Cornelia will help and make the laminated instructions.

5.Night manager training:
Stevie – had a NM training last night: Alice, Connie, Maria, Vlada & Rachel are now Night Managers, hurray! Need to have another training
Stevie – NM's shouldn't be letting people sign up for shifts without filling in a form or going to an induction...
Hannah – printing new volly handbook
Stevie – we should make a notice about (above) & put somewhere for NM's – maybe in NM checklist
Scoutt – need to have a NM training in next 2 weeks, any ideas who?


6.ALCOHOL TRAINING
Mike – said he will organise some training
Stevie – should be having 1 training every week
Hannah – let every volunteer know that you can't work in august without alcohol training
Stevie – powerpoint training that temp. agencies are doing? tick boxes & get certificate?
AP – cornelia will make posters about alcohol training
Stevie – we have the powerpoint that Lynne made. Personal License Holders will have to do the training. Mike, Stevie, Jane available to do training.
AP – Stevie, Mike Jane to organise 4 weekly trainings for July, possible 2 in first week of August

7.Volly party Monday 5th July – 8pm COME ALONG!

8.Menu suggestions
smoothies? milkshakes? elderflower lemonade?
Stevie – can order dried elderflowers from greencity
AP - Bridget – organise an ex-KM festival download

<THE END>

User avatar
swithun
Posts: 2683
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:24 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby swithun » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 am

Sorry - I meant that I was going to do it, but you beat me to it.

User avatar
Lynne
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Lynne » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 am

Just two wee points:

The festival rota, think the 2nd EVS box is meant to be 10pm - 4am? Or was it decided that 12am - 4am was better?

Paper cups - we won't need them as no drinks can be taken outside this year due to new licensing laws.

User avatar
ChaoticReality
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Edinburgh!
Contact:

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby ChaoticReality » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:54 am

The licensing laws don't actually prohibit drinks being taken outside, I don't think but it's certainly something that can be applied as a condition on a license.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:12 pm
Location: there and then
Contact:

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Shannon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Ooohhh, looks like a super productive meeting!

User avatar
Lynne
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Lynne » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:27 pm

The Police will not let us take drinks outside when we are licensed!

I tried to apply for off-sales for our last Occasional Licence because our lawyer had advised us to do this, as taking a drink outside is classed as an off-sale. They Police weren't happy with this at all and I had to agree not to apply for off-sales.

If we were to take drinks outside the Police would use the Licensing Objectives against us, just like they have with our Late Hours Catering Licence, saying that it would be a 'public nuisance' and a threat to 'public order' blah, blah, blah...

But, if I have made a massive assumption and wrongly assumed that we wanted paper cups so that people can take drinks outside, I apologise!

User avatar
nix
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:49 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby nix » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 am


User avatar
milk
Posts: 1798
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Contact:

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby milk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 am

AP - all KM's get together with someone who wants to make the instructions etc and make perfect examples of everything – Huw to take photographs – Cornelia will help and make the laminated instructions.

could we release a copyleft 'The Jolly Foresters Cookbook'?! :D
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) |

User avatar
swithun
Posts: 2683
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:24 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby swithun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 am


User avatar
Jane
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Cafe & Events meeting 1st July 2010

Postby Jane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 pm

burrito mix should also have salt, pepper, spices if and TABASCO to it. Sometimes when I think about the old spicy cheesy burritos it makes me cry.


[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Minutes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests