QoS solution for streaming Sunday's hall fashion show?

milk

QoS solution for streaming Sunday's hall fashion show?

Post by milk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Nicola Blackmere (sp?) came into ask about their wish to stream the fashion show this Sunday. i advised that it should be possible, but that a) they'd be best wired into the Action Room rather than using the wifi, and that b) we can't guarantee the bandwidth but that i could ask if there is some possibility that a temporary solution could be implemented for that evening to secure enough bandwidth.

mike - you know the router better than i. might this be possible?

i have contact details for Nicola. they're going to acquire their own network cable.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chombee

Re: QoS solution for streaming Sunday's hall fashion show?

Post by chombee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:43 pm

How about just turn off the wireless?
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Do we have the upstream bandwidth to support this at anything more than webcam quality?
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

iain

Post by iain » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm

2 meg upstream in principal is enough for a "high quality" stream but in practice it's not going to be anything amazing. But it would be a (mostly) moving picture.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 am

I have a tried and tested QoS solution for this. We used it to stream Tim and Mikey in from NZ.

iptables -A FORWARD -s !<webcam machine IP> -o <internet> -j DROP

Anything else is a world of pain and will probably not work.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:06 am

Sweet. What time is the show on Sunday? If I can liaise with them beforehand, I can get it setup. If it's a time when I won't be around, I can show you how to do it, milk.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

milk

Post by milk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:30 am

thanks v much martin! in case it might help, can you recall the video rate used for the nz stream? no worries mike, i can phone her and arrange to meet on sunday afternoon to do it. can give them a static just in case.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 am

milk wrote: can give them a static just in case.
That's already a key part of the plan.
Mike

milk

Post by milk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm

one could do the iptabes cmd with a dynamic, but i thought i'd mention it's bad practice in case all techy types get hit by a bus or somesuch and it needs to be done again.

seems to be working!

does anything need to be undone after? ('part from the housekeeping of removinng said static)