Tour

Records, publishing, shop etc.
boletes

Tour

Post by boletes » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:31 am

So I've been thinking it would be kinda cool to go on a short tour in winter...few weeks or something but I was talking about it the other day and thought, what if it was a Forest Records tour?...a bunch of artists on the collective hitting a bunch of venues in scotland. I think It would be quite good exposure but its just an idea......opinoins?

Roy

Gaz

Re: Tour

Post by Gaz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:46 pm

an excellent idea.
we were thinking just the same thing a couple of months back.
hope this will happen...
the more you think, the more you stink

boletes

Post by boletes » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:56 am

I think it would be really cool bands should just opt in and suggest venues and we can get it organised :P

dan

Post by dan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:01 pm

sounds like an ace idea, if I was in Edinburgh I would be well up for it. But I'm not...

I think maybe you should pick the bands and contact them to see if they're up for it. For 1 - not many people will see your post on the BB, so you could make a poster for the Cafe? Or 2 - if you contact them you could kind of curate it? Maybe speak to Stevie and Dai in the Cafe about it?

And then for venues you could maybe pick the brains of the bands and the Forest Publishing crew who've been on various Golden hours tours and would prob have some advice?

Good luck!

D x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

boletes

Post by boletes » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 pm

yeah that sounds like a good starting point, i'll get onto it :)

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:03 am

Hey!

I would be very interested in helping book a tour. I've done bookings for the forest publishing/golden hour tours before and have good contacts for venues, van hire, people to stay with, etc.

Also, I think it would work much as better as something curated (i.e. picking the bands) rather than letting anyone opt in.

xx x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

boletes

Post by boletes » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 am

well I've emailed everyone who's local I'll see who's interested first of all but I was thinking it doesnt have to be the same bands every date, if its a forest tour we can mix and match bands to suit them and try and keep some kind of constant theme maybe like a few sets of acts for different strechs of the tour...thats assuming a lot of people want to do it but thanks Jane I'll post here when I get more details :)

boletes

Post by boletes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:08 am

Okay so I have me 100% lol the sea is salt, carlo bridges and dirk markham all intrested and the general concensious seems to be for a straght after christmas type thing so can we make this happen?

Jane

Post by Jane » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:53 am

sounds awesome! Both faith and jack are in for sea is salt?

I guess it is worth thinking about what transport to use and where the tour would start/end? How many dates will people be in the country for? Were you thinking on hiring a van or doing it by public transport? It might depend on whether people would all be starting in edinburgh or meeting elsewhere. And then start thinking of venues - of the top of my head the rude shipyard in sheffield, the cube in bristol, the comely club in brighton, the star and shadow in newcastle, the george in london are all friends of us, but there are surely others.

fuck! exciting! we should meet and talk soon.

x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

boletes

Post by boletes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Okay I've emailed details roughly and asked for firm confirmations then we can start booking, I also sent a link to this thread so that they can get involved if they want aswell :) it is quite exciting I hope they're all as into it as we are :p

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 pm

go forest records !

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Sounding grand!

Any space for the 'Diva in the van maybe??

Or maybe time to buy that bus??
the more you think, the more you stink

boletes

Post by boletes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Thats carlo confirmed now :) divia? lol

and a bus? forest bus would be cool....all painted and arty...always wanted to be driven around inside art :)

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:14 pm

alright!

if this is actually going to happen we should probably sit down and have a meeting soon and talk through the actual logistics.

I'm presuming the way forest is at the moment, there isn't exactly much money available to front for a project like this so that gives us a few options.

I guess the two main ways to do things would be either:

1. hire a van, do it as a proper ForRec tour with a few bands playing various dates around the UK. The splitter van we use for ForPub seats 9 and has LOADS of storage, can't remember the price of the top of my head but I could find out from Ryan. This would be the most fun way to do things, but require money upfront for hire/deposit/petrol. It's probably too late to look into funding now, though someone could try? We've always applied to the Scottish Arts Council way in advance to fund the books and this, but obviously that's not an option now. Other possibilities could be to get bands who want to do it put some kind of deposit in and then get the money back from the entrance fees to the gigs, though this requires a lot of faith that we will sell tickets to the gigs, and make the money back. Or possibly there is some budget for ForRec, though it probably won't be enough.

My other reservation about doing it like this is that I'm not sure if everyone involved would be necessarily starting/ending in Edinburgh and around for a whole tour? Given that Dirk is based in Berlin, Jack in Sweden and Faith in London at the moment, it might be the case that people join in different places and trying to do it as a coherent busload is impractical.

so..

2. public transport and a lot looser a conception of a tour, different bands join in different places. Any entrance fee profit made is split between the artists to help cover their costs. This is a lot lower risk and could still be really fun, it would depend on whether the musicians were up for it though. However, it might also still end up dearer than hiring some vehicle.

Also, we should think about getting a local band friend of ours from the places we go to join the bill. Not only would it keep things interesting and varied, but it guarantees some local promotion above what we can muster and their friends will come at least. We could think of a some people once we decide where to go, lots of actual forest records people are in these places, which would be nice.

Obviously I would love Fueldiva to play a gig or two if there is an opening and the boys are up for it.

When the fuck are we buying the bus anway?

Oh! Also, Hailey Beavis is a great person to ask on tour.

thoughts thoughts etc.
x

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

ps: caro bridges, not carlo, right?! x

boletes

Post by boletes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Well personally i like the sound of option one but you're right we need the other bands input so put that on hold for a few days (though I think its the understanding). I can't see a huge profit margin so maybe use a combination of the bands putting in money and money made from gigs? unless we can get funding which somebody should try a.s.a.p, i have no idea what to do like :P
hey maybe we'll get lucky and have a bus....?

Oh diva....i understand now :p yeah theres space for an extra i'm sure :p so yeah Fueldiva can come :p when i contacted bands i didnt really have a system lol. I definatly asked hailey cause i saw her a few months back and WOW but i never got a reply.....van size could become an issue at some point :/

Yeah i did mean carlo bridges :) anyway you're right we need to meet and talk about this sometime soon...i think tomorrow and sunday afternoon are free for me or any evening next week except thursday :)

boletes

Post by boletes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Sea is salt are out :/ we can still do it :p us and carlo bridges...thats still a tour and a smaller bus probably

boletes

Post by boletes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I feel like this isn't gonna happen?