art auction

simone

art auction

Post by simone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

stephen set date for art auction last night for the 11 dec.
here is new thread for it!
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

brittonie

Re: art auction

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 am

Sweet! I've got together an email mailing list, i'll post the notes from the meeting shortly!
wet, dirty and dangerous.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

Hey y'all,

If you're getting this, you were likely at the meeting last night, or are interested in helping with an Art Auction for Forest.
If you know ANYONE who wants to help out, or i got their email address wrong, please pass this on!!!

So we've set some deadlines:

Wed. Nov 17 we need to have; press package, a letter of request from artists compiled, a name
Sunday Nov 21st we will meet again at 7pm to view poster designs (which will be mostly done?)
December 11-12 is the Auction

We discussed:

getting press
Art Acquisition
Asking friends
cold requests
All forms of art - signed books, art books, editions, paintings, knit, pottery, music...
Potential theme?
having a sale in addition to
a live auction and a silent auction along with musical interludes- (could this be combined with a slave auction which someone had mentioned in the meeting in the cafe?)
Having 2 auctions
The first would be whatever we can get between now and then, and would work well as a primer for the second auction
The Second would potentially be more "posh." We might reserve more expensive works for this auction
We would need to look into a beautiful and free venue for this
This one might be a silent auction, but tuned into a ritzy gala type spectacle, so we can attract wealthier people?
Working with
The Roxy
TotalKunst mailing list and gallery?
Publicity
Press Contacts
Screen Print these posters and postcards, and Auction off some of them too! We can hang digital prints around town and make a limited edition of really gorgeous prints to commemorate the event. Possibly different Images, styles???

Please write a draft of a request for art letter or email with bullet points which would need to be included.
I think this letter should be pretty slick and impersonal so we can utilize it for both friends and strangers and for both auctions.

If anyone has any ideas for venues or press contacts, or ideas please offer them up.
I'm sure I've missed some points please fill them in!
any information or potential resources are good!!!!

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am

one thing we were chatting about the other day which would be AMAZING is having part of the day being a band auction - bands will play a song and then you can bid on them and have them come play your christmas party/romantic breakfast/serenade you as you ate your tea and biscuits/etc.
x
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 pm

That sounds rad!

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:29 pm

hey, its happening!!
so, are we not using the gallery space for this?

simone

Post by simone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 pm

the gallery space is already in use that weekend.

also should we put this on the main forum, realised it is in fat?
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
(Billy Bragg)

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Also meant to ask where it is going to happen and maybe around what time, just so that we know if we can have a gig in the same space as well, afterwards. I'm assuming the art auction will be sometime in the afternoon...?
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

simone

Post by simone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm

i think there was talk of it being in the hall, with things on different walls and music as well.
(Billy Bragg)

simone

Post by simone » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 pm

is anyone able to move this thread to events?
(Billy Bragg)

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 pm

In the hall as a day long event, going into an evening of music and party. Maybe we can auction DJs for parties too? akimbo divine/exploading DJ etc....
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ken

Post by ken » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:59 pm

it might be handy to try the membership of the RSA and the SSA as these folks, almost by definition, sell for cash. Ricky once asked loads of famous folk for a piece in A4 format, which can be a useful discipline. More work on the wall, frames all the same. Try WASPS studio fora and the nut house down at Meadowbank. also Embassy mailing list. Hell get everybody's mailing lists or get a bit in their newsletters K x
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:44 pm

ok, here's my suggestion, to clarify this:
the gallery is booked with exhibitions solid untill end of february, so there is no possibility to show there, unless we decide to move one of the exhibitions and then do a full month slot. We coud do this but we would need to talk it over with the artists whom we have already promised the gallery and who are preparing to show.
This 11th december auction then should be small works only - we do not have any chance to store large amounts of artwork of various sizes anyway.
So lets make it A5 or A4 only, 2d?

We are really pressed for time for this, so we need to keep it fun and fast?? and simple - in the hall, with a lot of music, one day, thinking of owning art/giving art as a present/helping good cause... like a preview for a bigger exhibition/ silent auction later, with lots of bigger works - and we can start soliciting for this month or two before the exhibition/auction. I think for the bigger stuff its important to show in the gallery, and then pull on all our press contacts etc to get people to view the works over the quiet hours of one month so they can really imagine owning that art! We will drop an invite to chamber of commerce, local companies, business owners who want to own art, law firms - to come by and take a look and bid. I think it will take most of our time to get folks actually to view the work, getting it sourced and hanging it I think is pretty straightforward. If we have this all sorted out, it would be a good way to get the word out on the later bigger sale through the dec 11th art auction.

Also, i think e should use the gallery space because of the high visibility. Lets make a banner! and let it hand there for a month together with all the installed artwork... With all the positive publicity right now, i'm sure we can get the word out for the gallery auction. People usually like the stuff they see in the gallery, it looks good in that space, it's intimate, light is right, you can really see what you would be buying. Lets face it, the hall is quite a different place for hanging the work, hard to make it look as good... but for postcard size stuff, we can erect walls?
this just my gut feeling

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I volunteered my place as a place for storage.
We thought it would be best to send out a letter of request to anyone willing to donate art to the cause. This way the same people are not bombarded with letters asking, and can choose to donate small cheep stuff for Dec 11 or Larger more expencive things for the fancy dig early next year.

I think it is unwise to place limitations on media or size, as it will discourage some people from donating if their work doesn't "fit". I also think we'll have a bigger response if people have the option to make something new or donate something old.

I think for the second auction it would be advantageous to have the auction somewhere not at forest.
we're hoping to mass a large number of works of all media, and the forest gallery is going to be VERY tight to fit tables and sculpture and people (i think?)

I agree simplicity is good, and fun and fast for sure. But, i think we should explore every possible avenue for this before we limit it.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm

oh and we need help writing the letter of request, there are several people working on it. The more the better.

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:58 pm

allright, can see the point of one letter.
Some outside venue would be nice for the auction, is the thinking with that, that we would not have an exhibition with that but just a 'viewing' prior to the auction?

I was thinking of the exhibition in the gallery only as a 'preview' of the works and the auction itself naturally would have to be in a larger venue. It is a small space, but quite a lot of work can be hung, if done in the salon des refuses style, floor to ceiling... could be impressive...

then again, we need to get windshield wipers for that picture window...

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Ohhh i like the idea of a salon style thing in there for sure! We could do that for some of the works the week before the auction? It would certainly look amazing. Get me a sqeegee i'll be a window washer!

I was thinking the other venue would be good for the 2nd auction, and there's be a preview night, or something ( i have grandiose ideas ) but it could be wicked swanky. There could be another night that was the auction, and both would be some sort of event?

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Ok guys,
So what is sure (as I understood)
- date: 11th – 12th of December,
- place: Forest
- deadline for submissions: 4th of December
- name: EVERYTHING MUST GO

What is still not clear for me (but important, to make the flyers, poster, spread the word etc.):
- A5/A4/A5-A4/any???
- an exact timing, programming (in case of making it a more complex, not just auction, but party etc. thing)
- and address to post submissions
- an e-mail address in case of any questions, further information etc.
- phone contact (Brittonie’s maybe?)

Stephen suggested to make two flyers: one for submissions and one for the public. I need to make the one for submissions at least to be able spread the word on the EDI Art Fair this weekend. SO IT'S A KIND OF URGENT FOR ME TO CLEARIFY THE DETAILS MENTIONED ABOVE! Me and Brittonie will meet up at the Forest on Sunday at 3pm and go together to the fair. If anybody else feels like, join us! Perfect opportunity to contact people and promote the campaign.

Kattta

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm

i think using Events@forest.org.uk would be best... i don't know who gets those forwards... but if they can send them along to us... or make them viewable that would be fine

you can use my number for contact.
0758 375 4472

but
i think there should be another number as well, just as back up (i am not always on top of topping up)

i think any format would be best, but maybe put down everything you did.
as if they were suggestions but certainly lot limitations to creativity or donations.

um... i've already forgot what else i was going to say. too much coffee
yeay progress!!!
xx

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Wonderful thank you! :)

The event stuff goes to Catalina and she might be busy with other fundrasing stuff, so I'll put the foh@theforest.org.uk, this I'll recive the messages and forward them easily to you or something.

Other phone number: Stephen's maybe?

But I still need the ADRESS where to post the works!

xxprututuum kata