Films@TheForest Fundraiser - 25th of Feb.

arizoniandreamer

Films@TheForest Fundraiser - 25th of Feb.

Post by arizoniandreamer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:55 am

Hihi!
Some of you might know about the film fundraiser what we are organizing with Anne-Sophie, but I post the details here..just in case. And of course to hear your opinion and suggestions if you have some.
SOOO
'FFF'-Films@TheForest Fundraiser will take place on the 25th of February, which is a Friday, in the café. It's basically day of showing films (any genre) made by local filmmakers (ECA students, independent filmmakers, armatures etc.). It's a good possibility for them to show their films to a wider audience and for us to see various works of various artists and of course to raise some money...We would ask for higher corkage+donations (as usual), but if anyone had a good idea how to make it more affective just let us know!
It would be grate to have a kind of after-party in the evening with concerts and/or DJs (VJs???) Is there anybody who would be up to do that/knows someone who would like to?

We have around 10 submitters so far, most of them with more then 2 films (Paul from WofM can give us more than 4 hours of short films!), which is grate!, but never enough! :)
...So I attached the pdf. version of the call for submissions, so you can forward it to people who might be interested in getting involved with the FFF. And don't forget: you don't have to be a professional to participate....so please donate your crazy-beautiful stuff and save the Forest! ;)

thx, Kata

p.s: posters+flyers coming soon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swithun

Re: Films@TheForest Fundraiser - 25th of Feb.

Post by swithun » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 am

Well done on getting some locally made films. It is part of our remit, but not happened very often.

mirja

Post by mirja » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 am

that's fantastic!!

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:13 pm

:) Thanks.
Poster for submissions attached, gonna put around ECA, other arty places and cafés next week with A-S.
Káty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Nice work!!

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 am

If you can get turn tables, my friend Liam would LOVE to DJ.
wet, dirty and dangerous.

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 am

:D háhá...ok. Do we know about someone who has turntables? :) LIAM is AMAZING :)
K

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:25 am

chris maybe??
wet, dirty and dangerous.

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I'll ask this week. OOO and here is the flyer for submissions. checkitoutifyoulike

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Hey, these should go on the forest website as well? You can email them to Birgit at events@theforest.org.uk
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi,

we have a nice number of folks interested so far, most of them ECA student, with a lot of interesting stuff, we're planning on showing everything from a laptop using quicktime files, but if anyone knows about more technical things (resolution and all) your help is more than welcome :)

we really want to have some music and boogie in the café afterward so yeah Deejaying would be great! same goes for band, the more the merrier. I'll try investigate to see if one of the directors we're in touch with might help?

we're also getting corkage a bit higher up as a part of the fundraising, bien-sûr=)

Kata made awesome flyers calling for submissions and I'm sure she'll make even more awesome ones for the event itself, so stay plugged in and come grab a few when they're ready =)
[edit] @Kata: there's still a typo on the flyer (back) you wrote campaing instead of campaign, honey bun :D

mwah.

AS

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

Hellow.

Here's more info about the event.

Film screenings will start around 3pm and will go on until 10pm.
A dancing party will be held afterward with DJs:)

We're planning to have breaks in between screenings, of course, and will project most of the films in the café. We'll ask people to respect the films by remaining as silent as they can during the screenings, and trying to get food/coffes/teas during the breaks.
Films shown will be pretty diversed and put under different categories... animation, stop motion, low def, experimental documentaries, short films, music videos, poetry...

There will be a few installations in the gallery (artist said it was OK) with TVs and movies going in a loop. We're trying to get another projector and maybe hold an underground cinema session in the cave, for Low Def movies, not sure about it yet though (also, it would be great not to have anyone playing the drums in the Cave while we're screening films, it might sound like a whim but imagine watching a movie with a constant thumping noise in the background? :/)

Now, I'd like to tell you about our collaboration with This Collection (http://www.thiscollection.org)

This Collection got writers and film makers together to create and illustrate poems about Edinburgh. The result of this collaboration is more than 30 short movies, all of them to be screened at Films at the Forest Fundraiser, and will come with some interactive bits so you don't get bored and restless :D

First one is a jam. Some of the short movies don't have any music in them, and we're planning to ask you, viewers, to create a soundtrack for it. Anyone can join in! We'll have a wee rehearsal on the spot and musicians to help you out, you can bring your own instruments or use the ones we'll provide, DIY instruments are very welcome too. We'll put the poems on the tables too, so you can get more inspiration or use them as lyrics if you like. And the fun part: this Jam will actually be filmed and used, more info on the day of the event, with the folks from This Collection (you can have a look at their website too

Second one is a flash fiction writing challenge, during which you can submit a short 100 word flash fiction based on one or several of the poems/films by the end of the screening and, after the event, access a workshop where you can develop your piece of writing. Thoughtful submissions will be published along with the poems. The fee to enter this challenge is £2 and all will go to the Forest Fundraiser.

Please note there's no need to book in advance for these events.

We're hoping to make and sell pop corn, it's quite cheap to make and we can easily sell on small bag for £1.50? Money would go to Fundraiser too. We'll have a table with Forest Goodies and infos about Donation schemes, Forest publications, etc. Catalina and Paulina have agreed to take care of this and give info to people who want to help/donate (though Kata and I will be around too for that).

A full, detailed program will be available soon. I'm sure I forgot some things so ... anyone has a question/comment...?

We're hoping a lot of people will come, apparentely a bunch of ECA students rescheduled a module or something to be able to make it so that's pretty cool, we're going to start putting up posters and flyering too.

edit: we're not putting the corkage higher as there aren't any bands playing upstairs. will email info to Birgit so she can put in on the website.

We might need help with the projector, trying to set it straight. Whenever we're projecting something, it appears a bit "bent", it'd be good to set it up nicely.

Anne-Sof

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:36 am

this sounds awesome.

There are some tall ladders on the Balcony that you can use to straighten the projector if required.

Will there be a break at around 6pm-7pm? that's usually when the cafe gets busy for dinner, it'd be good to be able to make some noise during that time.

The cave is already booked between 3-4pm and from 6-10pm. I have booked the other hours (4-6pm) for you. If you really want to have no noise then you should ask Chris to speak to them & cancel their bookings. Perhaps we could set up the action room as a separate viewing space instead? Let me know if you want me to keep those 2 hours booked.

nice one
scoutt

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 am

Scoutt,
Thanks for the replies, we decided not to use the cave for screening at all, but it would be still nice to have as less dumdum as it's possible..but I know that cave brings also money to the Forest... So maybe we will just put a note downstairs that pleas take it easy today :) or something like this
About making noise in the kitchen is fine, it's still a café...! but instead of shouting customers head off, we could whispear in their tiny ears this time :D
The full program with brakes and stuff is ready and the flyer as well, so I post both of them here!

xx Kata

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:15 am

so HERE you have the files :D

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am

amazing poster, I love it!

I will "unbook" the cave then.
x

neil

Post by neil » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Cool! I remember those old Kodak tapes.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:49 pm

cool poster

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:29 pm

That's loads of us who love this poster - Collector's Item re fundraising perhaps?

Bet there's more than one person who would pay good money for a limited edition with a unique stamped dateline to be designed especially (download in exchange for minimum donation) Is this possible technically? Bit mutton-headed with respect to how that would work but thought I'd mention it. Could Art Auction a sole print too methinks.

Best

CJ

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

preoccupation wrote:That's loads of us who love this poster - Collector's Item re fundraising perhaps?

Bet there's more than one person who would pay good money for a limited edition with a unique stamped dateline to be designed especially (download in exchange for minimum donation) Is this possible technically? Bit mutton-headed with respect to how that would work but thought I'd mention it. Could Art Auction a sole print too methinks.

Best

CJ

Sure, we still have the JPEG file so that shouldn't be a problem! :)

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:35 pm

wow :)
aaa yeah. I'm glad you like it! :) Preocupation: I like the idea, though I don't know exactly how to do it.

p.s: Who is behind the nicknames: preocupation and chombee :D ? It's the big mistery of the forum (for me :D).

Kata

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm

what a great event! Can't wait to see the 48hr-film-challenges...

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Hope it went well over the week-end.

Kata, I tried to find you earlier today so you could see my face! To help perhaps -we spoke briefly on Friday afternoon in the cafe and even more briefly in the gallery as you were talking to Grazyna.

That's great news about it being easy - technically - for people to download the poster in return for a donation - still cannot imagine how to connect the two processes but wonderful if it is simple.

Other idea - especially for the Art Auction - is to gather hard copy of all promotional material created for Forest Fundraising and to auction 5 (again stamped and unique) copies maximum. Such gorgeous work and for a unique( let us hope!) situation. Will start another thread for this and I'll take it on - that is if no on has any objections / thinks it is not a worthwhile project.

Best

CJ

AnneSof

Post by AnneSof » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:52 pm

for people to download the poster in return for a donation - still cannot imagine how to connect the two processes but wonderful if it is simple.
No I meant we could print it again on nice paper and all and sell it as a collector item ^^

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Oh yes, that too for definite, methinks.

With respect to the idea overall, have taken the liberty of collecting all on my own desktop and hope that all creators are ok with that. The endgame is an old-fashioned (very) thick book containing all of the lovely promotional work.

Any chance that people could pm me and tell me which work they made? It would make it easier to reference each piece.

I hope some tech-person is ready to be buttonholed (nailed down even!) re the merit of paying for a special download with a random number attached that is specific to whomever makes the donation.

Hope to meet you tomorrow AS

Best

CJ

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 am

preoccupation wrote: I hope some tech-person is ready to be buttonholed (nailed down even!) re the merit of paying for a special download with a random number attached that is specific to whomever makes the donation.
Yes, let me know. I have the facilities to do this.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

preoccupation

Post by preoccupation » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Mike - Brilliant Are you around this afternoon?

Best

CJ

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Just on my way in now to finish setting up the new routers so I'll be around :)
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...