kitchen fun times

scoutwinter

kitchen fun times

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

hey!
so, working in the kitchen is amazing at the moment. So many awesome people. So much delicious food.

One thing we should be aware of is that our annual hygiene inspection is probably coming up soonish. that means we have to be extra good at cleaning, particularly UNDER THE BENCHES where things like clothing, bags, umbrellas etc like to accumulate. yesterday we found some excellent (but dead) things. this is not so good for hygiene inspections. so now they are gone. At the moment we only do the deep clean once per week, so it would be great if night managers could remember to be extra careful about the floor/walls/surfaces/everything...

also: please keep your personal stuff in the volunteer cupboard! not only will it avoid accumulating crap under the counter, but nobody will trip over your bag & then try to sue you!

over and out
s

scoutwinter

Re: kitchen fun times

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am

Can you believe it.
They just visited.
not joking!
thankfully the cleaning team did an amazing job yesterday so the kitchen has mostly passed. just need to finish that HACCP monster...
the rest of the building kind of needs some help though. mostly: the rubbish on the top floor landing and the DREADED BALCONIES. Mr health and safety is sending a letter for our cleaning pleasure. also a problem: the dirty toilets.

happy cleaning suckers. they'll be back in April.

Lien

Post by Lien » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:59 pm

So frech, so clean

Likely there is already a system for the rubbish upstairs, but I don't think that the cleaning Team on monday have to take care of it ?
An extra volunteer on the mondaymorning shift would be a good idea !

Tidy greatings

L.

cornelia

Post by cornelia » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 pm

a lot of the rubbish upstairs is old freeshop stuff that is to be thrown away or just thrown away, think it was shirley who cleared it out, so it is just a matter of walking to a charity shop with some of it and bin the rest
tack och hej leverpastej

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 pm

okay! please someone do it!
...and don't leave stuff there next time
ta x

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:39 pm

the building inspector will send a list of stuff we need to do in other areas, but he definitely mentioned the MESS on the balcony, the top floor landing, the broken window panes on the first floor landing.

from the kitchen lady:
* all staff require to be trained in food hygiene and HACCP system - this means even volunteers. I am going to make a mini-sheet that ALL VOLUNTEER WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN before their first shift. This is underway for staff.

* managers should have INTERMEDIATE LEVEL food hygiene training to be able to instruct volunteers

* document all training undertaken

* Print HACCP & have copy available for staff <this is now completed>

* relocate insect death ray away from cooking surfaces <i suggested on the wall in the sound area, she said ok>

* recommend all kitchen people keep hair covered

* repair glass that is broken (window panes on first floor landing)

neil

Post by neil » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm

Wow Scoutt, you are totally psychic!

chris

Post by chris » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 am

mental!
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I am going to make a mini-sheet that ALL VOLUNTEER WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN before their first shift.
this is now done. blank forms are in blue folder in wooden cupboard under till. put signed ones into the clear folder, in ALPHABETICAL ORDER.

Wow Scoutt, you are totally psychic!
well alex said i made it happen with "the secret". next, i will make: 30 degrees, sunshine. looks a lot like thailand...

x

chris

Post by chris » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 am

Ha!

I have a reminder in my phone that just went off it says "forest environmental health about now"

not quite efficient enough..
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 pm

scoutwinter wrote: * recommend all kitchen people keep hair covered
The S-Dawg doesn't have much to cover up, but he does like to get his toque on when baking.

scoutwinter

Post by scoutwinter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 am

this guy looks a little concerned that maybe he went one toque to far...

[img]
stupid%20toque.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ken

Post by ken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

looks a bit of a turkey to me
consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds

lucyj

Post by lucyj » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:38 pm

from the kitchen lady:

* managers should have INTERMEDIATE LEVEL food hygiene training to be able to instruct volunteers

I am clarifying this, waiting for EHO to get back to me. The letter in office says intermediate HACCP which may be an altogether more difficult thing to achieve than the REHIS training, hopefully will get back to me today.

Only private companies (expensive) and Telford do the HACCP in Edinburgh, and they seem to want intermediate REHIS in order to do HACCP (although this is not an official requirement). I am waiting to hear from Telford if this is the case with them . HACCP is £225 at Telford.
From my reading I am increasingly sure any training of volunteers in HACCP procedures requires HACCP intermediate qualified KM .

If anyone has

any thoughts
Intermediate HACCP training
knowledge of cheaper places to do the course

I would be very grateful to hear from you!!! xL