Just a quick update on my recent noodlings around the forest, for anyone who's interested, wants to help out, or feels I should quit while I'm ahead
1. The hall now has some nice equipment in it. The Carlsbro Bass head and Park 4x12 Speaker Cabinet are now connected (both previously lived in the balcony) as a bass guitar rig, while the Burman 4x12 Cabinet (also from the balcony) has an H+H Power Amp serving as a head for a guitar rig, and can be micced up using an SM57 mic or similar. Speaking of mics, between the PG52 (for kick drum) and SM57 (for snare drum) we can now get a pretty good drum sound through the PA, instead of just letting the thing echo around the room, and I strongly reccomend that anyone doing sound in the hall should mic the guitar rig and drums, and take a line out of the bass rig into the desk for best sound. If anyone wants a demonstration or advice, I'm available. I used most of this setup for the New Urban Frontier gig the other night, and was really pleased with the results.
2. The PA in the hall has been upgraded, with our slightly shagged-out subwoofer now aiding the kinda mediocre Mackie active speakers. I've typed up a note on how everything is wired, and will be bringing it in tomorrow to tape it near the desk, and maybe on the subwoofer too? More on the status of the equipment below. Also, I lowered the Mackies to more like head height, does that sound okay? If there was a good reason for them to be so high up before I'll put them back.
3. I'm bringing in a 150-odd Watt Peavey Bass Combo with a 15 inch driver tomorrow for use in the cafe. It should serve through to the end of the festival. The Beringer lives in Cave 1, the BC50 in Cave 2 and the Carlsbro half-stack in the Hall, so the Cafe is the only place that needs a bass amp.
4. A guy called Owen is coming in tomorrow to look at our broken/faulty/awry equipment. I don't know how he's going to feel about repairs/payment/etc, but the list is as follows, in rough order of importance:
- My 100W 2x12 Marshall that's been living in the cave (has gone very very very quiet and dull sounding, and is needed in the cave very much)
- 300W Mag Ashdown Bass Combo (something in the amplifier has gone, is very distorted and weird sounding)
- 500W Subwoofer in hall (produces the lows just fine, but also has a weird distorted tone that sounds like bass guitar distortion on top of everything)
- Burman cabinet (top right speaker sounds a little trebly/shagged out, but is still acceptable sounding, so lower priority)
I think that's all the stuff that anyone might want to know about. I'm in the process of clearing up the sound area in the cafe specifically, and the sound areas around the building more generally, but there isn't really much to say about that other than please keep them clean!
There's an open meeting at 4pm on Tuesday to talk over this kind of stuff, and to co-ordinate sound action around the building more generally, such as equipment purchase, action days, maybe a workshop and anything anyone wants to bring to the table. Finally, I just want to say everyones been really supportive, helpful and non-weird about me running about the place, moving things and taking keys and the like lately and I want to say a big thank you to you all