Website meet for anyone that is interested

chombee

Website meet for anyone that is interested

Post by chombee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Lets try and have a little meeting about http://blog.theforest.org.uk/ in the next week, if anyone is interested. To talk about anything people would like to be on the website, how they would like the website to be, anyone who wants to get involved with doing the website (e.g. posting cool stuff to it, making stuff for it, including words, pictures, video, audio, etc.), and a chance for people to meet Duncan who has taken over as website admin since I'm leaving after this month.

http://www.doodle.com/g4q4tgwx8z87qec4
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Duncan

Re: Website meet for anyone that is interested

Post by Duncan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Doodle is fun! Let's try again.

http://www.doodle.com/ihazaaprhsb77d37
I love the bomb.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Wow, that actually worked well. Our winner is 3pm (1500hrs) this Friday, so see you all then.

Is the action room likely to be available?
I love the bomb.

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:21 pm

Present: Duncan, Sean, Harry, Brittonie.

Action points:

Brittonie to chase up Dai and other potentials about documenting events and workshops, doing interviews, interesting writing, taking photographs, etc. for the website. It would be good to have a documentation team that makes cool stuff and then posts it to the site, so it's not all just events posters. The kind of effort that went into producing CIA Nights regularly could go into producing something interesting for the website every now and then.

Duncan to look into the forest mailing list. There may be several mailing lists. Find out what is the main one, or find them all and combine them into one. Then put it on the website so everyone knows where it is. It will be useful to have a big email list. Jamie might know something about this.

Harry to speak to Duncan about getting an admin account on the website so that he can take on some website admin tasks such as editing the save the forest pages. Harry and Duncan will communicate about which of them will handle which tasks.

Harry and Brittonie to speak to Gordo and others about maintaining the forest's computers and internet connection, need a small team for this.

Duncan to do something about our web person advert at the volunteer centre. We get a lot of responses to it, but we don't really need the help or have time to respond to them. Maybe take the ad down, or maybe change it into an ad for someone that we do need.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

nix

Post by nix » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:47 pm

Good work people!
Harry and Brittonie to speak to Gordo and others about maintaining the forest's computers and internet connection, need a small team for this.
fuck yes, we need to have working machines for the public and in the action room. please!
Duncan to do something about our web person advert at the volunteer centre. We get a lot of responses to it, but we don't really need the help or have time to respond to them. Maybe take the ad down, or maybe change it into an ad for someone that we do need.
maybe instead of web person, more like computer maintenance/network tech. ?

i dunno, I don't have a laptop, and working computers seem like a very valuable resource.

but how to make it happen?

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:19 am

nix wrote:but how to make it happen?
I've tried, I've tried so much in the past but I just ran out of energy. People continue just to use/fill up the machines as if they were their own at home.

If a team gets put together, I would like to help and contribute what skills I can, but there needs to be more than one person on it, otherwise it's not feasible.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:08 pm

MB said 'people fill the computers up...'

AGREED

this is a MASSIVE problem-

the action room computers are treated like the action room.

The desktop may as well have moldy half eaten sandwhiches all over it (who's is that? Grosstown)

Every time i use the computer- i try to clean up the desktop.

Don't leave your crap all over- this slows the machine down- even if you put it in a folder with your name on and in documents this makes the machine faster- so you can still access it.

It's also impossible to see through the web of files that ends up on there. YIKES!!!!
Can we implement a weekly wipe? like get your shit off the computer or it's getting deleted sort of thing??
If only we could do that in the rest of the building.

</rant>
wet, dirty and dangerous.

gaia

Post by gaia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:52 am

brittonie wrote: Can we implement a weekly wipe? like get your shit off the computer or it's getting deleted sort of thing??
If only we could do that in the rest of the building.
Yes please. Even though a weekly wipe is not likely to happen. Maybe a monthly wipe? We could post a warning on the bb and print some signs for the action room. Whatsoever thou shalt leave clogging the Forest computers shall be wiped off the face of the Earth on a monthly basis, or something like that. Unless they're stored in a folder called "Files of vital importance to our Planet's orbital balance". We should then of course follow up on our threat. Even though I have the feeling that similar measures have already been unsuccessfully tried in the past.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 pm

gaia wrote:Even though I have the feeling that similar measures have already been unsuccessfully tried in the past.
Oh yes.

How's this for a plan?

This time, no mercy.
If you want to keep a file, get a USB stick or a dropbox.
Any non-system files will be wiped by automatic cronjob once a week, no discretion, just done.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Gaia wrote: Files of vital importance to our Planet's orbital balance"
heheh love it!

As for no mercy! Do it!
I'll wipe it clean every two weeks

I can get some cdrs and burn some of the stuff before wiping it, and charge anyone who wants that info back- donations to forest- for being inconsiderate with their files.
<only half joking>

gaia

Post by gaia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:00 pm

ChaoticReality wrote: Any non-system files will be wiped by automatic cronjob once a week, no discretion, just done.
Yes!
brittonie wrote:I can get some cdrs and burn some of the stuff before wiping it
This might get a bit overwhelming, but if you're feeling especially nice go for it :)

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Spoke to Gordo: says he doesn't have a huge amount of time, but that he's happy to get called up when there's a problem that needs looking at. He's also going to create some signage for the kitchen router (saying DO THIS and DON'T DO THAT) and look at the action room computers this week!

Hopefully between Gorfo, Mike, and new recruits through the vollie centre, we've got the beginnings of a tech team again :-)

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Oisin said he doens't mind helping out, but he would like specifics.

I told him i didn't know enough about what was needed -
he can wipe clean, and reprogram things

Also, isn't Pes really IT oriented- Heriot-Watt computer guy???
got posters and e fliers up about the Documentary team- and we now have 2 digital cameras (cables are still needed)

also for the fortnightly feature of weird art and writing nonsense- which if it has a big turnout, i'd like to make into a monthly or bi-monthly book- with a cd if there's anything to put on it. Could be sold for forest as well- numbered limited editions.

but i guess that's not an IT thing really

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:01 pm

brittonie wrote:Also, isn't Pes really IT oriented- Heriot-Watt computer guy???
He studies Brewing and Distilling but he's pretty nifty with a computer anyway ;)
brittonie wrote:and we now have 2 digital cameras (cables are still needed)
What connector? I have a few spares that might fit and I also have a memory card reader on my pc, so can do transfers pretty easily.
Mike

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:58 pm

oh nice.

dont know the connector- will show you later this week- they use sd cards
if the work that would be great!

we should recruit Pes into tech forest land :)

nix

Post by nix » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 pm

also for the fortnightly feature of weird art and writing nonsense- which if it has a big turnout, i'd like to make into a monthly or bi-monthly book- with a cd if there's anything to put on it. Could be sold for forest as well- numbered limited editions.
I am hereby volunteering to help with the production/printing side of this project, I think it could be a good'un. I understand something about how to use appropriate software.

:D

nix

Post by nix » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:50 pm

oh, and I can clean the The Ultimate Mac in the actionroom tomorrow in the afternoon.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Unfortunately for team-Forest-tech, Pesi has joined team-go-Berlin. He's only back for graduation.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 pm

nix- sweet!

Mr Bennett-

both cameras take scan disc cards- i have one- need a second. the one i'm looking at is about an inch long and half an inch wide. SDHC card 4 GB.

They both take 2 AA batteries

they both have usb
http://pinouts.ru/connectors/usb_a_b_female.gif

camera 1 has a jack which i guess is just a standard mini usb (1cm in length)
camera 2 has a jack which resembles jack 'b' from the linked above image. (3/4cm ish)
there seems to be some sort of input/output bottom as well... but i don't know what that's all about.

maybe this will help you dig up some cables??
(or if anyone else has any laying around...)

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:34 pm

chombee wrote:
just got this yesterday:

Hi,

At Volunteer Centre Edinburgh we pride ourselves on offering a high quality service to members of the public thinking about, or looking for volunteering opportunities in Edinburgh. In order to maintain this high standard, we need to ensure that our database of volunteering opportunities is as up to date as it possibly can be.

One of our biggest sources of complaint is members of the public expressing an interest in volunteering, either by sending an email or leaving a telephone message with the volunteer involving organisation and that organisation not getting back to them. If your volunteering opportunities are filled, or you have no more capacity to support volunteers please let us know so that we can amend our database and reduce some of the frustration suffered by members of the public eager to volunteer.

Equally a well-worded volunteering opportunity will help your opportunity stand out against all the others!

This is your opportunity to review and update us on current volunteering opportunities that you have registered with us. We will be reviewing these opportunities every 3 months.

Please check the following details and email us back to confirm that they are correct, and advise us of any changes. Email admin@volunteeredinburgh.org.uk or telephone 0131 225 0630 and speak to a member of the Public Services Team.

Opportunity Reference Number: 2167
Volunteer opportunity title (role): Web Design/Editor
Short (abbreviated) opportunity description: The Forest needs a team of dedicated web people to help us audit, archive and expand our huge web site. Opportunities exist for Web Editors and Designers who are interested in helping a creative arts organisation.

Having a named contact and insurance in place continues to be a requirement in order to advertise with us.

Please get back to us by Friday 8th July 2011 to ensure that your opportunity remains live on our system.

Kind Regards,
Lara

Lara Celini, Public Services and Volunteers Coordinator, Volunteer Centre Edinburgh (Job-share)
Direct dial: 0131 225 0640 (Lara's usual days of work are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays)

I forwarded this to the website mail but I'll have to answer them anyway because of the café volunteers they're sending to us so I can reply concerning both if you want me to.
Was there any decision on what to do about this ad?
only when the clock stops does time come to life

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 pm

Hey,

I've made fliers for the web submissions, but the post hasn't actually made it to the website yet...?

same goes for the documentary team... can't really build a team of one.

asked Oisin about comp help, he is interested to help- but i need someone to give me some contact info, or specs of what needs to be done.

So- i guess what i'm saying is- i've gone as far as i can with my action points- i need some help/follow through from others.
xx

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:34 pm

okay- well,

i guess i'll stop trying then
:(

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Come on folks, there's got to be some of you out there in BB-land that can help move this forward. We can't achieve if we load it all onto one person. Give Brittonie a hand & let's make things better.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Hey B -- sorry missed your post! Duncan has been away recently, whic is why this hasn't happened yt. For future reference, both Birgit and I are able to post things the site, so cc us!