gallery last 10 days of August

stephengoodall

gallery last 10 days of August

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:38 am

Hi all

so there are a few plans currently underway for programming the lasty 10 days of the gallery (22/08/2011-31/08/2011), i think it would be good if we could start getting an idea of what these plans may be and what dates they would be in the gallery.

The plan at the moment is to have a range of different projects occurring in the gallery over the 10 days- stuff that can go up and come down pretty quick to allow for quick turnaround.

From what i understand The Forest Fringe want to use the whole building including the gallery on the 26th- could anyone confirm this?

I would like to organise a drop in and draw event by the Edinbrgh League of Comics, sort of a day long comics drawing workshop and maybe a day to exhibit the drawings afterwards if the time is available.

Our new member Marcus also had an idea for a one day interactive art piece.

Mirja also mentioned a couple of other projects when i last saw her though i can't remember the exact details- please post the info up here if you can.

hopefully if we can get the details posted here we can get the dates arranged so we have a better idea of when each project will be able to use the space.

cheers,

Stephen
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

mirja

Re: gallery last 10 days of August

Post by mirja » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:13 pm

the only other ones we talked about was a one day 'getting rid of stuff' feeding frenzy event for the free shop, I do not know if tis is going to happen, depends on whether the transition/moving people think this good timingwise, and stephen had talked about some kind of bubble party?

Also Andy Fields might have a project for the gallery, we will hear more about that soon.

So:
-Marcus/public art event
-Drop and Draw ELC
-BIg Party/FF ( I thought this was on the 28th?)
-Feeding Frenze/Free Shop
-Andy Fields?
-Bubble Party?

oh yeah, the idea of a sweatlodge also came up , it gets hot as blazes in the gallery

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:26 pm

I would like to a sound installation type thing with cardboard and electronics. I envisage this being a two day thing one day to build and one to play, there would be a performance one night and also possibility of interaction on the second day. It could also be feasibly done in one day, 7pm to 7pm the next day. Would love to have the chance to do this, hope it is possible.

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:47 pm

mirja wrote:the only other ones we talked about was a one day 'getting rid of stuff' feeding frenzy event for the free shop, I do not know if tis is going to happen, depends on whether the transition/moving people think this good timing wise.

More one for the Free Shop crew than the Transition Team Mirja. I like the idea of a feeding frenzy event as long as there is room to store things between now & then. Again, something for others to answer.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:38 pm

all sounds good to me.

Stephen- did you have any preffered dates?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Last week i think, maybe tuesday wednessday, something like that.

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 am

sorry stephen i knew i was forgetting something, we did discuss in our last meeting the sound interactive sculpture/cardboard/installation and thought it a great idea... it was not forgotten...! you need any help with building, i've built big cardboard stuff before so can help.

so theres a lot it seems, mostly one-day things, except the drop-and-draw and cardboard installation and we don't know of andy fields proposal yet.

the feeding frenzy - i thought it was not only for the free shop but for all the stuff we unearth on and between the action day and the end of august, that we think needs a decent home instead of being dumped. It was an idea that we can organise a swift removal to the recycling sites at eca and st margarets house 'free shops' of whatever is left in the evening - just move out of the gallery door directly into a car and be gone. I can be in the evening on the crew with a car moving the stuff out. But Keni you're right its a storing issue, that's why i don't know if it fits into the transition plans. And maybe its too late to do it on the last week, when the gallery is available - maybe a free shop feeding frenzy needs to happen somewhere else, earlier? So far we still have provisional openings in the gallery if there are takers for this idea. Free shoppers, transition strategists, let us know if this is a go, so we know how to schedule.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 am

judging by the other stuff we have, the drop and draw can be reduced to a single day without any great detriment to the event.

I would like to be able to book and confirm a date with the league of comics ASAP and would propose that it is held on Thursday the 25th August, if noone has any objections- let me know if you do, otherwise i will see if this is suitable for them.

that would allow for Stephen's event and also leaves the weekend clear until we hear about what the Forest fringe has planned. would anyone be able to confirm whether their party event was planned for the 26th or the 28th?- i have an email saying 26th but this may have changed.

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:32 pm

i wanted to show some work collaborated on with Dylan- Mirja and i spoke about this in May...
wet, dirty and dangerous.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:41 pm

cool- how long did you envision showing the work for brittonie?

brittonie

Post by brittonie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 pm

i think we spoke about having 4-5 days
wet, dirty and dangerous.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:06 pm

ok cheers- hopefully we will be able to fit everything into the available time.

Stephen

mirja

Post by mirja » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:38 pm

brittonie, we have not spoken about what you are planning with dylan since that short chat, and its getting really tight with a lot of interest all of a sudden on the gallery space. I think it would be great to fit all in, so we just don't have 4-5 days at the moment. All other projects are taking 1-2 days, max. could you guys do a project in this timescale?
XX

dylanross

Post by dylanross » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey Mirja,

It would have been nicer to have the 4-5 days but I'm sure we can try to cram it into a couple of days with plenty of prior planning. Definitely don't think we can do it in 1 day, but 2 should be okay.

Dylan

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 pm

HI!
I came up with the idea of doing this Flea Market (sell the nice stuff that we have at the free-shop for 1-2pounds, take it as a donation to forest). I think end of August would be too late, but I would be defintely up for doing it. You can take it as an installation: strings in the gallery with the clothes pegged on them (yeeahhh peg game again! :)), with nice labels on them maybe.
So far we still have provisional openings in the gallery if there are takers for this idea. Free shoppers, transition strategists, let us know if this is a go, so we know how to schedule.
So does that mean that we could make this happen in the gallery somewhere end of July maybe? Begining of August?

xx Kata

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:18 pm

Actually I love the idea of this 10 days action. Happy to help with anything I can.

Kata