Preparations for Departure

Front of House, garden etc.
Keni

Preparations for Departure

Post by Keni » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Do you have anything stored at 3 Bristo Place? If so, you need to clear it out as soon as possible.

Our lease on Bristo Place finishes on Wednesday 31 August. To help make our departure as easy and ordered* as possible, we have to start preparing for it. That means we have to start clearing the building before then.

We are having an action day on Monday 18 July, when we will start binning, gifting or transferring stuff to storage. You need to clear out anything you have in the building by then. If it doesn't belong to the Forest then I will find a good home for it - either a charity or a deserving individual. I'm sure it won't come to that and everyone will remove their things but we need to start NOW!

Any help with clearing the building is very much appreciated. Please let me know if you can come to the action day.

Cheers, Keni

* Aye, I know. How about as ordered as possible then?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

mirja

Re: Preparations for Departure

Post by mirja » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:09 pm

keni, i will have stuff in the hall for the drawing class until end of july,
it will be all tagged.

Keni

Post by Keni » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

mirja wrote:keni, i will have stuff in the hall for the drawing class until end of july,
it will be all tagged.

That's fine Mirja and totally understandable. Information like this will really help us on the Action Day to get the building ready for leaving and August.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 am

Should I lock the rota for the 18th?
No point in having vollies signing up for kitchen shifts...
only when the clock stops does time come to life

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Yup lock the rota but make a big poster about the day, clean then party, we will need lots of hands, maybe we can do some inventory stuff before, this needs to be so well organised we should aim to get it all in one day and then we have time to organise for august, oh yeah.

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Stephen wrote:Yup lock the rota but make a big poster about the day, clean then party, we will need lots of hands, maybe we can do some inventory stuff before, this needs to be so well organised we should aim to get it all in one day and then we have time to organise for august, oh yeah.
working on the big-big-poster.

alba

Post by alba » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:09 pm

I can help!!!!
alba

simone

Post by simone » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

i shall come after work and clearly label the foop filing cabinets and will take responsibility for moving them.
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

Keni

Post by Keni » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:23 pm

alba wrote:I can help!!!!
alba

GREAT! The more the merrier.

simone wrote:i shall come after work and clearly label the foop filing cabinets and will take responsibility for moving them.

Wonderful Simone, that's really helpful. Thanks.

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm

TICK FOLLOWS TOCK FOLKS. . .

The Action Day is in two weeks time. You have until then to clear anything you won out of Bristo Place. While I won't be merciless I will treat excuses with a high degree of disdain. So, if you are using the Forest to store a coat, guitar, TV, PC, speakers, ANYTHING, get it out now while you still can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 am

obviously in. thinking of labeling some stuff i like... :P

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:39 pm

August is coming and the Forest is tidying up.

Just a quick reminder that you have until the end of Sunday to remove your property from the Forest. For the vollie cupboard and the hall twixt it & the toilet, you have less time - until the end of Friday.

Please let us know if you want to help on the day. We're hiring a skip for dumping and a transit to move stuff into our off-site storage. Space there is limited so we will have to show acumen in deciding what stays.

Keep the faith, Keni

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 pm

And here is the poster for the action day. Hope you like it. I'll print it tomorrow if yes.

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 pm

classic...the forgotten attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:27 pm

I suggest to put it on the website if folk say yes.

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:46 pm

yes

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:35 am

go for it!
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:28 am

arizoniandreamer wrote:classic...the forgotten attachment
Aww, lovely :D Can I keep the magician hat and the happy green monkey thing?
And yes, print it!

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 am

nice poster

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 am

yes :D

dylanross

Post by dylanross » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:30 pm

snazzy poster

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 pm

We're looking for somebody who can drive a transit to our secret off-site storage location. Can you drive & are free on Monday? If you have a Transit or equivalent, even better. If not, we'll hire one for the day.

Likewise, if you have a van we can borrow, please get in touch.

Remember, Sunday is the deadline to remove your property from the Forest. For the vollie cupboard and the hall twixt it & the toilet, you have less time - until the end of Friday.

dylanross

Post by dylanross » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:49 pm

I can drive/ am free. I don't have a transit though.

gaia

Post by gaia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Is there some kind of plan/to do list for Monday?
I'll try to be there at 10.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:19 pm

The van is ordered for monday morning, the nice men at the van hire company will pick us up 10 from the forest to take us to the van. It makes sense for it to be Keni and myself as drivers as you have to over 25, have both parts of your uk driving licence and at least 200 pounds in the bank to cover the deposit.

As for actualy tidying up on monday, i think we could say 3 people do each room with 6 on the balconies, i realise i am being optimistic about numbers here as that would be 18 people if we say silckscreen/darkroom/bunker/action room/balconies.

One thing we really need is lots of cardboard boxes, not to large as they will get heavy. It would also be good to try to inventorize (the verb of inventory) whilst packing. I suggest a simple colour code thing for each room with a rough list of what is in each box and each box given a number. For example blue 3 would be the silk screen room and looking at the list i know that is where the paints/inks are.

The van can hold 3 people which will be more than enough when unloading at the other end. I think maybe it would be good to start with the downstairs/basement then all move up to the action room/ balconies. The van will probably being doing round trips and be coming back every hour so it would be good to try to coordinate getting stuff ready to go for when the van comes back.

We have the van till 10 am on tuesday so we can work all night if necessary.

things we need to keep in the building are all the sound equipment, working that is. The lighting gells, the black out curtains. Some tools for repairs, couple of drills and bits, couple of saws, some screwdrivers etc, we could make a small tool kit out of this, job for the workshop/bunker crew. Anything else people think we should keep on site just now. speak now or hud your whisht.

see you monday

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Stephen wrote: One thing we really need is lots of cardboard boxes, not to large as they will get heavy.
The KMs have been saving some in the Screenprinting room. I don't know how many are in there but I don't think they're the "lots" w're going to need.
Stephen wrote: It would also be good to try to inventorize (the verb of inventory) whilst packing. I suggest a simple colour code thing for each room with a rough list of what is in each box and each box given a number. For example blue 3 would be the silk screen room and looking at the list i know that is where the paints/inks are.
Katy left a folder with inventory + colour system sheets that she made, all set up and ready to go. It's in the office.
I bought markers to do the colour organization, won't forget them on Monday. Might not be enough, though. Only have one set. We should have more.

simone

Post by simone » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:30 pm

i shall come after work about 6pm
fo-op has 2 filing cabinets in action room. the smaller one can go into storage if feel we want to keep it otherwise can go. the larger one has food in it and i am hoping someone from old hat books gets back to me about leaving it in their library space when they move, i have been told this is soon. if not it will need a new home, in cafe?
hope that's helpful
simone
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
(Billy Bragg)

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi!
Sounds cool, I'm coming in the morning (ok, probably around 11.30).

Two question:
- Can we keep some paint as well (we could sort out the paints that we need)?
- Free shop stuff? Stays or goes? I suggest stay because of the fleamarket+custom party. Hm?

p.s: I wouldn't mind doing the workshop sorting out.

xx kata

Keni

Post by Keni » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:55 pm

simone wrote:i shall come after work about 6pm
fo-op has 2 filing cabinets in action room. the smaller one can go into storage if feel we want to keep it otherwise can go. the larger one has food in it and i am hoping someone from old hat books gets back to me about leaving it in their library space when they move, i have been told this is soon. if not it will need a new home, in cafe?
hope that's helpful
simone
Old Hat Books have packed up & their cupboard is empty. The books are boxed and on the half-landing twixt the balconies & the Hall. They are supposed to be uplifted by Monday. Does anybody have OHB contact details so we can confirm this?

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:19 am

I foegot to say last night, instead if using a colour system why noy just initial the boxes? Anything from the Action Room goes in AR1 onwards, the Office O1, et cetera.

I'd like to get into Bristo Place for 9 tomorrow. Can somebody with keys be there then or lend me their keys please?

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Yo, people who cleaned the vollie cupboard: Danny Mullins had a gig last night and said he'd left a portable Crate amp with 2 inputs in the cupboard on Friday, as he was told we'd be cleaning up on Monday. Which is fair enough, we did hurry up with the cupboard... Does anyone know where the amp is now? We need to get it back for him. I've got his contact details.

Cx
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I have it Catalina. There were two signs up saying I'd be clearing the cupboard yesterday, written in big red letters. I'll make the more obvious for everyone nest time so folk like Danny don't get caught out. After all, he wasn't to know.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:16 pm

I just like colours, especially stick coloured labels.
See you monday.
Ask for boxes from shops on your way in we will need them.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Can the Dorkbot stuff on the organ be left alone please, I can come and take it away myself on the 18th but I won't be there first thing, lunchtime at the earliest.

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Fine Martin, we'll leave it there for you. Remember to bring some boxes with you please.

RachelMcCrum

Post by RachelMcCrum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi all

I'm very sorry, but I have to be in St Andrews tomorrow and then Glasgow tomorrow evening, so I can't help with the clear out as had planned to. And love nothing more than a great big theraupeutic cleanup, so doubly sorry, in fact.

Rather urgently - if anyone comes across two large (about six foot tall) UV banners, Beltane style, could they hold them back for me to collect, please? They belong to Morag Edwards, who had left them in before the art auction in May.They weren't used in the end, and I've never actually seen them at Forest, but she did leave them in and would like them back. Am going to post in main board about it too.

Has anyone seen them??? Can pick them up Tuesday evening.

Have fun de-cluttering!

xx
'I will meet you at Up-To-No-Good.'

arizoniandreamer

Post by arizoniandreamer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Ok,
Can somebody answer my post please?
Hi!
Sounds cool, I'm coming in the morning (ok, probably around 11.30).

Two question:
- Free shop stuff? Stays or goes? I suggest stay because of the fleamarket+custom party. Hm?

p.s: I wouldn't mind doing the workshop sorting out.

xx kata
thank you

simone

Post by simone » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:39 pm

i would suggest get rid of most of free shop stuff and then put rest in a new cafe free shop space, whereever people feel best. front room where it was before could be good, the back corner is not used well at the moment.
(Billy Bragg)

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:40 pm

arizoniandreamer wrote:Two question:
- Free shop stuff? Stays or goes? I suggest stay because of the fleamarket+custom party.

Kata, keeping some pots of paint is fine but try to keep it to the minimum & only if you have a definite use for them. An example of one would help your case.

Free Shop stuff can stay as long as it doesn't increase in size. Having said that, I would rather you had the flea market sooner rather than later. Is the party still going to happen? I know there was initial enthusiasm for it but haven't heard much since then. Remember, we're trying to reduce what we hold in Bristo Place. Lastly, apologies for the late response, I was enjoying a rare evening away from the BB.

RachelMcCrum wrote:I'm very sorry, but I have to be in St Andrews tomorrow and then Glasgow tomorrow evening, so I can't help with the clear out as had planned to. And love nothing more than a great big theraupeutic cleanup, so doubly sorry, in fact.

Shame you can't make it Rachel but such is life.
RachelMcCrum wrote:Rather urgently - if anyone comes across two large (about six foot tall) UV banners, Beltane style, could they hold them back for me to collect, please? They belong to Morag Edwards, who had left them in before the art auction in May.

Was there something ambiguous about this statement?
Keni wrote:Do you have anything stored at 3 Bristo Place? If so, you need to clear it out as soon as possible.

We are having an action day on Monday 18 July, when we will start binning, gifting or transferring stuff to storage. You need to clear out anything you have in the building by then.

I appreciate that you're not long back in Edinburgh but surely the canvases could and should have gone by now? However, we will hold them until Tuesday evening if found

With the boxes, can those helping tomorrow remember to label them on the top, the length & the breadth so it is easy to see what's what without having to sort through them all.

Any more questions?
Last edited by Keni on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 pm

One last quick reminder. If you've haven't lifted anything of yours from Bristo Place by 1000 tomorrow morning, the Forest will find a suitable home for it. The only exceptions are the Dorkbot stuff on the organ, which is leaving tomorrow, Morag Edwards' canvases & the OHB boxes, which are going on Wednesday.

No second chances, I'm not that sort of man.

mirja

Post by mirja » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Ok, I mentioned earlier that the tv on the stairs , we would like to keep that for august for showing video on. If it's gone already then be it, but if its around, pls can we keep it until then?
Also, what is the story for the drawing boards in the hall? They were lovingly cut by Nix and are great for any drawing class that forest will have in the future. Should be stored with the screenprinting stuff? I can store them if there is no other place but they are really forest property, and extremely useful/reusable.

Keni

Post by Keni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes & yes Mirja. Where are they in the Hall?

nix

Post by nix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 am

Keni wrote:Yes & yes Mirja. Where are they in the Hall?
just by the font ..

Oh!

the Forest Folding Bar... (also down the side of the font)

Ali Gower of The Chocolate Tree, has asked if he can borrow this for his wedding on 14th of August? if so, we can uplift it whenever is appropriate! thanks!

N.

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks Nix. We'll keep the folding bar in Hall in that case.

Mirja, I'll put the boards with the screen printing room equipment.

Alasdair K

Post by Alasdair K » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 am

I'm happy to come in and provide a helping hand if given a little initial direction :-) Should be in about 1
Where's the drumkit gone?

mirja

Post by mirja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 am

fantastic, thanks!!
the tv is ( was) on the landing by the staircase.

gaia

Post by gaia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Guys, just wanted to say how amazing everyone's job has been. I'm sorry I left in the middle of the afternoon but I really had to. Seeing all the decluttered rooms was definitely impressive. This will make moving into our new home so much easier.
x

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you to everybody who helped out today - you were wonderful & the help was very much appreciated. A big soppy kiss to you all but a special heartfelt thanks to Gandalf & Martin for moving the copier. Lads, I believe Atlas is looking for a holiday - fancy a shot?

nix

Post by nix » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:28 pm

FUCK YEAH!

well done indeed!

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Once again, I really appreciate all the help yesterday and today. Starting to clear out of Bristo Place isn't easy for any of us and I know it affected some more than others. I will find some suitable way to reward you all, which won't include a surprise water pistol attack. In no particular order, a whole hearted thanks for your help. Apologies to anybody I missed out through error and tiredness.
  • Martin
  • Lien
  • Saxon
  • Kata
  • Simone
  • Catalina
  • Dai
  • Stephen
  • Brittonie
  • Margarida
  • Mike
  • Ryan
  • Bridget
  • Gaia
  • Gandalf
  • Alex
  • Birgit
  • Alasdair
  • Bastian
  • Martin Ling
  • Simone
  • Adele
  • Viktorija