[b]Forest Vegi Banquet[/b]

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Lien

Re: [b]Forest Vegi Banquet[/b]

Post by Lien » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Thats it !

Okay the poster is ready, the tickets to.
Facebook and the website are up dated....

We have 4 bands playing.

So tell you granny and everbody you know !

Lien

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 pm

It's that time of the year again. Grab your knitting, follow the smell of apples and cinnamon and get ready to rock your woolly socks off in the coziest vegan banquet of the year.

The Forest warmly invites you to The Forest Frosty Feast!

We will prepare a very special yummy vegan three course winter menu, all prepared with season ingredients and 100% volunteer love.

Each dish will be tuned to cosy live music... and some dancy glittery surprises!

Tickets: £7 - £10
BYOB - no corkage
Beautiful vollies and 100% Forest atmosphere guaranteed!

Book your ticket now at info@theforest.org.uk or buy it at
The Chocolate Tree - 123 Bruntsfield Place or Word of Mouth Cafe - 3A Albert St (Leith)

December 10th – Old St Paul’s Church, 63 Jeffrey Street
Doors open at 7pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
only when the clock stops does time come to life

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Lien wrote:Thats it !

We have 4 bands playing.

Lien
Cool! Who's playing? :)
As for the stovies, I dunno. Maggie? Catalina? I know you can do it!

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:45 pm

gaia wrote:
Lien wrote:Thats it !

We have 4 bands playing.

Lien
Cool! Who's playing? :)
As for the stovies, I dunno. Maggie? Catalina? I know you can do it!
I would love to make them but. Uh. I never made them before. :oops:

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Music: Hailey Beavis, Kim and Lizzy, Alex's Hilarious Enterprises Unltd and... tan tan tan a big Forest surprise!

As for the stovies... ahahahahhahahahahhahahahaha you're funny! Get in touch with Stevie maybe?

Cxx
'it's not a lie if you believe it' - George Costanza

gaia

Post by gaia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Margarida wrote: I would love to make them but. Uh. I never made them before. :oops:
Me neither! But come on, it's basically boiled potatoes :lol: And it's just for the test dinner ;)
(PS: I keep finding errors now, the stovies recipe should read "add the vegetables AND the stock, pepper and salt and leave to cook". I swear I'm not trying to sabotage the dinner!)

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:58 am

Should we set a time for this test dinner? I'm not even sure if we settled on lunch or dinner... :o
Say, 7-ish?

gaia

Post by gaia » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

I kinda assumed it was dinner, yes. 7's fine by me.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:01 pm

I may be a bit late.

Lien

Post by Lien » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Now....we know what's gonne be on the Menu, but somebody up for making a Menu ?

simone

Post by simone » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm

what is menu for? the tables on the night or do you mean to go on internet now?

also what do we think about bread? martin happy to help make it but we don't think we have enough oven space and also the cost.
i need to put the greencity order in on monday 5th and it will be delivered to my studio on thursday at meadowbank. we then need someone to move it to st pauls on the saturday.
i am working now on the friday but will be able to get holly for the table decorations!! oh yeah

how many people do you think we need to help? sarah who used to do foop with me has offered to help.

all for now
simone
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

Lien

Post by Lien » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 pm

hia,

menu is for on the tabels, just a nice thing to do/have
every helping hand is welcome, so Sara is more than welcome
I hope Jamie is up for helping us with his van...will ask

cheerio

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi everyone

As the Frosty Feast date is getting closer, we need to think about more and more things.

1. Food!
- For how many people have we decided to cook?
- When do we get/ order the veg?
- Where do we get what from?
- How much of everything do we get?
- Do we need to place a Green City order as well?
- Who is cooking what and when?
I think this was mostly decided but just to make sure we have eveything covered: Simone - haggis, the day before at home? Stevie - gravy and caramelised cabbage, the day before? Gaia - Apple crumble - the day before or on the day? (Apparently they have some massive ovens at St Paul's), soup and stovies on the day, at St Paul's.

2. Sound and music
Me and Lien have made a list of the line-up, we are going to double check it with the performers and confirm it soon.
Also, we have Miguel ready to help with sound. We will need a trip to storage and a list of the sound equipment we need for the night. Stevie, can you and Miguel do this, since you also know what Fueldiva needs for their gig?

3. What we need to get from storage
- big pots
- apples
- sound equipment
- merch for the stall (only some of it is still in storage)
- maybe some decorations?
- anything else?

Any volunteers with vans/ cars/ strong arms?

4. Booze - Lien to ask Jamie.

5. Decoration - can we get a decor team? Might also be nice for the Scavenger Hunt.

6. Raffle - Anyone up for hosting one/ getting some prizes etc?

The volunteer rota looks pretty full, so that's really good. We plan on promoting it quite agressively at the next Balkanarama this coming Friday. We've only sold 2 tickets but, let's not lose hope! (However, this might affect our decision on how much food we are going to cook).

I'm sure I've forgotten loads of stuff but, for now, if people think a meeting might be more productive to discuss all of the above, let us know. Me and Lien are up for it.

Frosty Forest love,
Cx

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 am

There's a storage trip happening on Friday to rescue some things from damp -- perhaps we could help get the stuff then? Rachel, Magda and I so far -- not sure how much space there is in Rachel's car.

gaia

Post by gaia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

We haven't really decided on a number, that should probably be a last minute decision before we order the veg. We could probably order from Mr Rashid or Nadia's but we should call them in advance to ask if they can deliver on the 9th.
I think Simone said she would make the Green City order. It should be ok to order on the 7th for the following day.
Since we have the place from 10 and massive ovens, I think we can do most of the cooking on the day, especially if we have a full rota. Remember that it's not like the cafe where we have to serve costumers, so I reckon we'll have plenty of time!

I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but how's the equipment in the kitchen? I mean pots, knives, chopping boards, Magimix etc... Do we have some kind of list of what we need to take from storage because it's not available at St. Paul's?

Keni

Post by Keni » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:10 pm

There is my huge soup pan that you can use if needed.

MMM, soup
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

Lien

Post by Lien » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes, big pots are most welcome ! For the rest everything should be there for the part of kitchen.
The big ovens in Old Saint Pauls are most usefull for the bakers :)

What do wo need form Greencity ? I think we only need stuff from the vegifarmers ?
(besides oil, spices, thee)

no, yes, yes, no :)

Lien

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:26 pm

So i think if we make bread maybe we should go for a soda bread, will be hard to do vegan though.

The reason i think for this is quickness as it can be made in an hour. Yeasty bread can be done in 2 - 3, sour dough takes 2 days.

so as for poatoes i think we will be looking at roughly 70 - 100 grams per person so that makes 10 kilos of potatoes.
This seems like a lot and i am not sure what level of hydration a cooked potato has over an uncooked potato but i think we go with 10 -12 kilos of potatoes.

Can any one remember the weight of the large sacks we used to get from nadias? they may have been around 20k so it makes sense to get half of one.

also would be nice to have 3 green cabagge and 10 leeks, not essential though but a good addition to the stovies.

onions for the gravy will be in the region of 5 - 10 kilos i think again i think about a quarter of the large sacks we used to get, anyone remember the actual weight.

As for the cabage well my estimation is that one red cabagge = about 700g to 1 kilo.

i think 50g of the cabbage will be enough so lets get 7 red cabbages.

For this will also need a tub of vegan marge, below is green city order details.

CHMA SUSUNA Sunflower Spread-Non Hyd. Suma 2kg £4.960

and possibly some soya dream, this may make it to expensive though.

WH PU PRSDRB ORGANIC Soya Dream Provamel 15x250ml £9.110

also for the gravy i will need bullion and soya sauce and some vinegar, preferably red wine or balsamic not sure what we have in the storage, might be worth a trip.

herbs and spices will aslo be required but i can buy them from green city and bring receipts as i don't think there is any point ordering large bags. Also i guess we have plenty salt and crushed black pepper.

are we going to sell alcohol?

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:47 pm

How about a meeting to put all of these down and decide who is ordering what? We do need to think about everything very carefully because if we make it too expensive we are going to lose money since we have no idea how many people will actually show up. We also have quite a few spices left so let's see if we can use those.

Would next Monday work at 5pm?

Also, can we think of anything else we need from storage to be taken out on the tomorrow trip?

Cx

Lien

Post by Lien » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Alcohol ---I'asked Jamie...No reply....Yet.

gaia

Post by gaia » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Catalina wrote:How about a meeting to put all of these down and decide who is ordering what? We do need to think about everything very carefully because if we make it too expensive we are going to lose money since we have no idea how many people will actually show up. We also have quite a few spices left so let's see if we can use those.

Would next Monday work at 5pm?

Also, can we think of anything else we need from storage to be taken out on the tomorrow trip?

Cx
What we need from storage really depends on what's already in the kitchen. We might not need to provide everything if Old St. Paul's already furnished. I think we should and ask for a list of what they have (if they do). We also need to know about plates and cutlery etc for serving.
However, for tomorrow, it would be a good idea to get some of the cleaning equipment (sponges, soaps, gloves). Do we have any oil and soy sauce in storage?

Stevie, are you going to do a KM shift? if not, it would be good to have some kind of recipe for the gravy etc (I guess I could make one up, but no point risking with an untested one when we have the stovies mastah in our ranks!) I remember finding several recipes for vegan soda bread but I never tried them. They looked simple enough, apparently soya milk works just as well.

From GreenCity we need oats, lentils, beans, raisins and some herbs and spices (plus bigger quantities of the aforementioned vegan butter and buillon), and flour etc if we make bread.

As pots go: we need at least 5 big ones, plus baking trays for haggis and apple crumble.

Also: I'm happy with having a meeting. I'd love to have it in the morning for a change, this 5PM darkness is depressing :( Unless everyone else hates the idea.

Lien

Post by Lien » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks Gaia, great that you think abouth cleaning stuf, very sharp-minded !
Meeting in the morning is fine for me, perfect to start the day :)

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I have emailed them to ask about what exactly they have in the kitchen, still waiting for them to get back to me.

I'm also OK with meeting in the morning, but that might not work so well for working people. Simone said she finishes work at 3pm on Mon. We could also consider Sunday for the meeting... Stevie, Lucy, what do you guys think? It's important we all make it.

Cx

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:44 pm

sunday or monday after 3 is good for me

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Lucy can do Monday afternoon as well so sorry Gaia, but I'm afraid we'll have to stick to Monday at 5pm - Montgomery Flat. Anyone else who is interested in helping out is obviously very welcome!

Cx

gaia

Post by gaia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Catalina wrote: but that might not work so well for working people.
Hey :lol:
Yeah, I know what you meant, just kidding ;)

I was thinking of Sunday morning actually, I guess I should have specified, huh? But Monday at 5 is fine! If I have time I'll bring cake :)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Hey can we get some flyers for this down to the peoples cafe, i think there is no issue with that.

They are planning workshops this weekend and would be good to have some info there about it.

Also the hearty squirl co-op will take some on monday to hand out at their stall.

If someone has some copies, maybe 100 - 200 a5, i will distribute.
Would be good to have them for tomorrow morning.

ZURI

Post by ZURI » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:09 pm

I'll come on Monday too.
ps: if you need some spare car I got one!:)

simone

Post by simone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:48 pm

thoughts:

soya dream getting a bit expensive me thinks.

is there jasmine tea in storage as well?

made really nice and easy vegan soda bread the other day:
http://happyherbivore.com/2010/03/irish-soda-bread/
i did not put raisins in.

i can get holly from work on the friday before, could with a lift getting it home about 4pm. we can use this for table decorations with candles.

table cloths?

see y'all monday
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
(Billy Bragg)

simone

Post by simone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 pm

foop has around 10-13kg of red lentils we can use
(Billy Bragg)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 am

Yup vegan soda looks possible, sorry, i think it was just my love of butter getting the better of me.

will try a batch some time this week.

I think we may need about ten to 15 loaves to satisfy everyone so as of normal bread that is about 8 pounds of ingredients at a quick costing.

Well, see you tomorrow

Lien

Post by Lien » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:43 pm

@Stephen, The meeting is tonight :) 5pm.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

yes that's what i meant

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Also, i think our buzzer is still broken so give me or Lien a text/ call if the door is locked and we'll come get you.

Cx

gordo

Post by gordo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Unfortunately my car has fallen over so that offer is out the window but can I be any help on the day? Unfortunately I can't hang around in the evening as it's a friend's birthday.

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 pm

It seems we have a problem. Lien went over to OSP today and found out that the reason nobody was answering my emails or returning my calls was because the person in charge of the bookings (Jean) has been in the hospital for about a week (?). Lien only got to talk to the cleaning lady but now I'm quite worried they won't even remember to send someone to open the doors for us on Sat.

Does anyone have any other contact for them other than the general landline (which I keep calling with no answer) and Jean's email?

Cx

gaia

Post by gaia » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm

That sucks. There are a few alternative email addresses on the website but I guess it's getting a bit late for that. Maybe we should try going again on opening days (it says on the website that the office is manned on Wednesdays and Fridays. That is, tomorrow) and see if somebody's covering for Jean.

On a side note, who's KMing and when? We should decide when to cook what.

ZURI

Post by ZURI » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 pm

hi everyone!
I've got some nice tablecloths(around 12)!very colourful and no Christmas like!;)
and lots of candles, and decorative lights!
so if no one minds I will do the decoration on sat!

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:12 am

ZURI wrote:hi everyone!
I've got some nice tablecloths(around 12)!very colourful and no Christmas like!;)
and lots of candles, and decorative lights!
so if no one minds I will do the decoration on sat!
That's great! :D Go for it!

Lien

Post by Lien » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Ahoy to all,

The key problem is solved !
Everything is coming together, the sounds stuff, the appels, the greencity order, the veg....
But we don't have BIG pot's and (tuperware) tubs, so please grabe your supply and bring it thomorow !!!!

Thanks

Lien

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes! And the access tomorrow will be granted through Miss Rachel McCrum, Old St Paul members have declared.

Lien

Post by Lien » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Groovy, Awesome, I had a lovely evening and I hope you did to !!!

gaia

Post by gaia » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Great job everyone! And thank you for not listening to my pessimistic predictions about the number of patrons :wink:

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:01 pm

We made £582 alltogether with entrance, stall, raffle and beer.

Thank you so much to everyone! You were all amazing and the evening was really nice, everyone had a great time.

Cx

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I decided to participate purely as a fun-having attendee (due to organising time drowning in my Literary Office Party on Tuesday), so I can definitely say you guys did a bloody amazing job. Good times had.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:09 pm

A mean haul. Sweet. Did the calendars fly off the shelf?

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:21 pm

swithun wrote:Did the calendars fly off the shelf?
We only sold a couple. But it was the only 'publication' we sold so, I guess that's a good sign!

Thank you, Harry. And congratulations on the hunt. You guys did a pretty aamzing job too. I will be enjoying my new hard hat soon :)

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Catalina wrote:
I will be enjoying my new hard hat soon :)
Our evil plan failed, Catalina. They borrowed a hat. Bah humbug.
But, yes. They were insanely brilliant.
Congratulations everyone. It was amazing!

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 am

Margarida wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Our evil plan failed, Catalina. They borrowed a hat.
Oh, I see what was going on! Were we the only team to find one? It just happened that our friends from Warrender Park Crescent happened to own one. And Oli had recently cut off some dreadlocks. Hehe.

Catalina

Post by Catalina » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:04 pm

HGiles wrote:
Margarida wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Our evil plan failed, Catalina. They borrowed a hat.
Oh, I see what was going on! Were we the only team to find one? It just happened that our friends from Warrender Park Crescent happened to own one. And Oli had recently cut off some dreadlocks. Hehe.
Oh, I see. Indeed, our cunning plan failed. But, if anyone is ever to come across a lonely/ unwanted hard hat, you know where to find me. Collection is growing, my babies...