Quatermile: trees

Front of House, garden etc.
ravanwin

Quatermile: trees

Post by ravanwin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:54 am

if anyone is looking for ACTION:

I spoke to the tree removal guys on middle meadow walk today.

they were really nice guys and felt totally guilty about taking out the WHOLE LINE of trees from the top of the walk down to the bottow (the trees that help block the ugly QM development).

They said it was so that the builders could dig up the ground, install pipes and shit. I also suspect there are concerns about the big windows of the million dollar flats which are blocked by the tall branches.

Anyway, I don't know what to do as i am no longer a true political manimal but, pershaps, we can get some action going and slow down this stupid process and cost the developers a little money.
it's happening all week.
ideas?

ryan

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 am

I don't want to be all negative, but I don't think there is much we could do at this stage. Any successful action of this kind has to be planned well in advance. The most we could do now is some minor vandalism, which might cost the developers some money, but will just give eco-warriors a bad/worse name. The public seems fairly apathetic towards this development.

That said, the Bilston Glen people (I think it is them) are sometimes in Infoseed. This is something the Forest could get involved in, or vice versa. I'll try to get hold of them via Tom.

beev

Post by beev » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:04 pm

I fink in the forest we should concentrate on our own positive vibe, rather than spreading negativity elsewhere.

If people want to do these kind of actions, shouldn't they organise them independently of forest and forest working groups?

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Yes,I don't think we should go off and live up trees at the expense of making burittos. But we might learn something from anti-roads protesters. And with all these people with similar interests just round the corner, it would be a shame not to build links with them.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:02 pm

bastards
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:30 pm

I'm not suggesting the Forest does anything, BUT...for those who are interested:

---

So, there are four trees already down and about ten
more that might be getting cut down. A notice has
been posted saying that no vehicles/etc will be let
through from 9.30am tomorrow morning. That means: if
we want to stop this, we need as many people out at
Middle Meadow walk by 9am. Please - if you can come
and help out in anyway, come!

If it turns out it's Dutch Elm disease, fair enough.
If it's as the workers said and it's to put in pipe
for the QM development (and clear the view in the
expensive flats of tree branches!), we stay and stop
the work.

---

Folks have been trying to get in touch with the Meadows Park Officer and the Council Arboricultural Officer, but no one was in or returning calls. The plan is not to vandalise anything, but to try and stop the trees from being cut (and draw attention to issues like Dalkeith Park) until a better reason than QM development is given for it...

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:55 pm

I haven't seen this yet, but are we talking about the Japanese cherry blossoms? They're (as the name betrays) not native and although Hanami is absolutely darling, let's campaign that they replace them with native species if the line's already broken.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am

I have no idea what kind of trees they are. At this point, I think it's a matter of delaying it until we know for sure why it's being done and whether that's a good reason (I suggest QM development is not a good reason, but who knows).

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:05 pm

My wishful thinking. :cry:

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:13 am

it looks like the good people of People and Planet were out there today. I saw them with a foreman and 3 people from the council. it seems that the trees are council property AND the QM people may not have done the appropriate paper work to take the trees down!

can anyone get more info on this as i'd like to do a cia nights update / letter to the evening news and i'd like to have some facts as well as the standard jamesdanryan hearsay.

shannon, maybe you could get me rich's number or beardy dave? or have them call me at home anytime.

also, check this: it depressing
check this: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/10/12_edinb ... irmary.htm

cheers,
r