proposal: graphic novels library on Sunday's afternoons?

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Susana

proposal: graphic novels library on Sunday's afternoons?

Post by Susana » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:03 am

I used to lend my graphic novels through the hats&books library but they moved to the Pavillion and they have now the books on open shelves. And I am so, so, so, so... tired of 'losing' things :wink: through different groups!!

So, I thought I could stay at the cafe next to my books collection and lend them for people to read there and then. In exchange, for my security they would have to leave with me a good identification and a valuable item during the loan (!). It sounds harsh but these books are expensive and you cannot get them at the library (the ones I have); they could develop wings...

Now, next thing is how and where to leave them. Our space is tiny. I checked and, as things stand I could put this old suitcase that I bought under one of our small tables, or just standing against the wall behind the armchair or so. What do you think? It is very possible that nobody wants to bother with such thing for just a bit of reading. But it could work out as well. Maybe I could just try for a month and see how it goes???

Any opinions??

Susana
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

HGiles

Re: proposal: graphic novels library on Sunday's afternoons?

Post by HGiles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 am

I think this sounds lovely.

Maybe you could make it a graphic novel loanswap? So they lend you a book in return for yours?

Margarida

Post by Margarida » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:30 am

This is great! As for where... there's a bookcase downstairs that a vollie painted and decorated, waiting to be used :D Maybe we can use that one?
only when the clock stops does time come to life

mina vacant

Post by mina vacant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 am

I love this idea, Susana! Look forward to seeing it happen. You should make a poster with your times on it:)
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. ~ Werner Herzog

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Thank you guys for all your thoughts. I am mulling them over and try to progress with this. :?: :?:

Susana

cornelia

Post by cornelia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:28 am

Ah what a nice idea!
My friend Ewan wanted to do a very similar thing. If you decide to do it, I'm sure he could contribute with quite a bit!
tack och hej leverpastej

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know what's going on with Old Hats and whether anyone is taking care of the books? I'm suddenly fearful for all the books I left in their care...

simone

Post by simone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am

they are at the pavilion cafe

and as susannah says:
I used to lend my graphic novels through the hats&books library but they moved to the Pavillion and they have now the books on open shelves. And I am so, so, so, so... tired of 'losing' things through different groups!!
I saw two shooting stars last night, i wished on them, but they were only satellites.
is it wrong to wish on space hardware?
(Billy Bragg)

celia

Post by celia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Re: OHB - what's happening.

It seems as though nobody is interested in running the library anymore. I'll put up a post for potential new collective members to take over. But if this is unsuccessful, will try to get all of the books back to those who collectivised them. So sorry that the library hasn't been running for a while. Just don't have the time anymore!

Celia x

Susana

Post by Susana » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Btw, I've given a thought to your proposals but I think for the time being I'll just go ahead with my little plan. In fact, that is if I manage to do it, because I wanted to start it yesterday and it turn out that my body was not up for it... But I will give it a try, at least for 1 month or 2. Also, in any case I already left my books inside an old suitcase downstairs in the room that has the code, so if I cannot do it but some else can, fantastic. And if anybody wants to add more all the better.

Another thing, it is a pity but I don't happen to have the most popular graphic novels, such as Persepolis, Maus, etc , because I got them through the library to read myself. So, again, if one of you can contribute with them, great. (They were the first ones I read and the ones that got me hooked to this type of book)

Regarding the books at the Pavilion I would advice anybody to take theirs home at least till it goes back to be run as a proper library. I do understand that people have their lives to run and extra commitments like this sometimes can be a heavy load or be temporarily left aside. But it is a worthwhile effort.

Hoping for the best, Ciao for now
Susana