Toilet redesign ideas...

Front of House, garden etc.
danny

Toilet redesign ideas...

Post by danny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:30 pm

I've posted this in the visual arts too, cos I think it probably concerns both groups.
I was thinking it would be cool to have the toilets redone. Are there any kind of established rules about how long someone's decoration should get to stay up before someone else does something? They seem to be accumulating crap graffiti.
Anyway I have this image in my head of a wee picture for the back of a toilet door with a caption reading "The sun shines out of your arse" and a nice colourful fluffy hippy picture of a contented someone-or-other bending overwiping it, with rays of golden sunshine shining from the arsehole. I'm thinking rainbows, meadows, bunnyrabbits....
If we could make it happen then we would need to repaint the loo too, as I don't think it would be in keeping with the design that's there already. Something like a creamy shade would be nice.
I asked Magda about it, but she says she's busy. Are there any more talented illustrators out there I could collaborate with out there? Is it cool if I advertise in the workshops bit to try and find someone who could help ( unless you know someone ).
Possibly the other toilet could have a "hippy shit" theme with nice fluffy quotations about the peace and tranquility of your own little private moment on the bog.
I'd like to repaint the whole toilet in a light colour and do something
with the rest of it.
Some ideas:

Starting with white walls, I'd like to try something drawing inspiration from what Magda did with the paint pens on the table and with her exhibition in the gallery. So I would have a wee stash of paint pens secreted in a hidey place in Forest and myself and my collaborator/s would get them out just when we felt like it, and add something to the wall. It can be immensely satisfying building up something from wee lines. I love doodling. I love playing with stylised lettering and pieces of story too. I love cutting and pasting things too.
I have a massive pile of collage bits and bobs that I've cut out in a box in the house, I'd like to have the freedom to be able to paste bits from this to the wall as I felt like it. I have an old "Monster Manual" from my roleplaying days many years ago for example. That could be fun. Also got bits and pieces of Foresty material in there.
Comedy fairytale toilets anyone?..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Yes, the loos definitely need to redone. There have been a few ideas tossed around at front of house meetings and elsewhere. I think the most popular is to do some proper graffiti to show the wankers who keep writing on the walls how it's done. This is still my favourite.

Shall we put this decision at the top of the agenda for the next meeting (time/place not yet decided)?

Georgina

Post by Georgina » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:46 pm

Yes I totally agree with Shannon.
show the wankers how it's done

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:31 am

A small update: a guy called Callum came in to see about doing graffiti in the toilets. He was directed to us a couple of weeks ago and came in to see if we'd gotten any further with things. I haven't seen his art, but he seems like a decent young guy. I have his number and said we'd get back in touch with him.

He told me cans cost about £4 each. We'd probably need less than 10 cans + a couple buckets of emulsion. This will depend on how many colours we want. I said we weren't looking for tagging-type-stuff, though maybe that's not true? He seems keen.

Any ideas about how to proceed on this? A meeting? I don't actually have much time to devote to front of house and the group hasn't exactly been active... I'd be oh so happy for someone to take this on... Maybe visual arts wants to coordinate since they seem to be a powerhouse at the moment??

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:29 am

hey - don't we have loads of spray cans in the workshop? i seem to remember tim&dan getting thoroughly high in there during the ultra office days.....
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

beev

Post by beev » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:34 am

This discussion should be continued here