7pm Environment & Garden meeting

Front of House, garden etc.
swithun

7pm Environment & Garden meeting

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:25 am

It is about time to have another meeting. I suggest Tuesday the 13th at 7pm. There is stuff happening in the garden, we need to get some seeds and stuff.

I don't know if anyone has the time to look into this. It is a council grant to do something environmental. I don't think we would get it for the stuff we do now, but if we did a little bit more, we could trouser some dosh.

Chris has some good plans for the bin situation.

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:02 am

I'll make that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Yes, I'll be there. I'll try and let baloooooo know as well.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:36 pm

He knows. I was talking to him yesterday and he said he would produce a map of the garden.

Damn. I'm learning to use a DVORAK keyboard and it is difficult.

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:16 pm

I will also aim to come.

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Swithun, I tried to follow that link but it ain't working. Can you re-post/mail me the link?

Thanks, Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 am

Well, you know, sometimes meetings don't start on time. By two minutes or an hour.

Can we please, please, please start this meeting on time because I've got to leave at 8pm. It will make me so happy.

THANKYOUILOVEYOUBYEBYE!!!

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 am

Environment and Garden meetings always start on time.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:24 pm

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Here are the minutes.

Present
Daniel, Alex, Shannon, Pomme, Swithun, Jay, Gary

Passion Flower
Where should it go? Anywhere. Buy a spade. Swithun will get some dosh from the cafe and go to those nice people at Homebase

Bins
Chris has plans for kitchen/out back. Will do in return for BB work. Swithun needs to do this work on the BB

Grant
Link above. Maybe something like collecting other peoples crap and using grant to pay for LEEP to take it away. Or green guide (below).

Climate camp (14-21 August)
Week long camp (last year at Drax), educational, demonstrate sustainable living (water power), activism (shut down power station). Shannon was in Leeds last month to learn about this. Is decentralised - scottish neighbourhood at camp. Provide own food, power. Will talk about this at Climate gathering (below). Forest could contribute equipment/people. Alex, Daniel, Pomme interested too. Have potential marquees. Location is top secret.

Compost
Blue has catalogue, but where is he? Shannon will just go for it. If the rats come, we can frighten them off with vegan burritos.

Climate gathering
18 March, in Forest. Jay suggested Energy Saving Trust (est.org.uk), Carbon Trust. They could do workshops/provide infomation here for day of events. Meeting 6.30 today in Forest.

Allotment
Phone them to ask for application. Hasn't arrived yet. Swithun do this.
Student allotment up at KB, run by Dirty Weekenders. Could get in touch with them.

Green/clean energy
Can we afford it? EUS might be persuaded to switch, but are hard to pin down.
Jay does energy audits, will do one for us, Look at old bills, set targets/predictions, knows about which company to get energy from. Get old bills from Nick to Jay. Jay will bring details of companies who will match what EUS pays. Look at equipment, what gets used each hour, day. Maybe get all EUS buildings audited. Save 20% after audit is usual.
Walk-in fridge is probably inefficient, but good for beer. Kitchen fridges could be replaced.

Batteries/bulbs
Swithun needs to find envelope. Energy saving bulbs need to be collected too. They have mercury in them, as Neil knows to his cost.

Community meeting plug
Community meeting Friday 7.30 in Forest. Preparing green/sustainable living guide for Edinburgh. Use Leeds one as template. Cover everything - food choice, energy suppliers, biking, green spaces. Shannon will put up link to Leeds version on BB.

Next meeting in 3 weeks.

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 pm

The spade isn't urgent, Swith. Let's give it time to fall on our laps.

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:23 pm

OK. But rather your lap than mine.

baloo

sorry i'm late.

Post by baloo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:15 pm

so i've got breeze blocks for the compost and they'll be at forest before moonday...so....no rats.
I tried to work with that student allotment, gave them loadsa seeds and advice. They stole my innocense and abandoned me. i don't trust them. Hurts like that take time to recover from eh.
Basteds.
ah well......

Got a great organic bulb catalogue and the organic gardenin catelogue--whatever we get should come from them coz they're ace.
I have spare tools enough for the wee back garden so i'll dump into the first available lap. (dump the tools i mean...erumm..)

Also tinkin of gettin stuff started at mine--cuttings, seedlings and so on...then plantin on into forest.
This'd save space.
Have found good sneaky sneaky sites near me too....

Workin on the map o'garden....really need to organise a date to get out there and dooo stuff....
This sunday?......hmm.......yep, ok.I dedicate sunday afternoon to bein out there and tidyin up.
All welcome (though not EvERYONE ay)....hang on....
up and at it.

baloo

Post by baloo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:19 pm

and ok....am gonna come up with a skeleton plan of garden needs for a year...wow....if we had a budget we could buy bonemeal and everything!!
ace.
will post here when done.

Money money money!
--when can we see some real wonga to spend!
March is the beginning of the season for green fingerin!

On sunday i'll bring catrlogues and books of interest and we can peroooos and gentley browse.

cool.
Out.x
up and at it.

baloo

Post by baloo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:23 pm

oh....and we'll work out the passion flower location on sunday too?

lovely.x
up and at it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:31 am

We do have some cashola. Won't be around this weekend to let you in on the scoop, but yes, we can plant and be merry (in sensible amounts).

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:44 pm

can't make it... have fun tho

baloo

Post by baloo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:38 pm

so i thought maybe i'd compose a list of stuff that the garden would benefit fom........and try to approximate prices.

I'll post it up here and y'all can check it oot.
Sound ok?
:D
up and at it.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:14 pm

have you managed to get bills from EUS? if no, do you want me to ask around for them?
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Yeah, Dan - I'll give you a call about it.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Blue, there be some bitchin deals going down at Lidl next week. I'll put the leaflet in my pigeon hole, or yours if you have one.