Minutes from 25th January

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Jimmy Bastard

Minutes from 25th January

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:13 pm

Publishing and library Working Group meeting,
Thursday 25th January Nineteen Ninety Seventeen.

(action points in bold)

Present: Jane and Dai and Gareth and Ryan and Shannon

Agenda
How to improve the library (The Philosophical Debate)
Forest Publishing
Upcoming projects

How to improve the library

More space is needed.
Shelves should go on the wall where the mural is. We should get rid of customers and put shelves there instead. Get rid of the red armchair and install a trunk for board games. It can’t go in the gold room because it will get confused with the free shop.
Shannon will put a notice on free cycle
Dai will look in the skips
If we don’t have shelves within a fortnight we’ll buy them

Content.
Content has improved and theft has gone right down since Gareth stuck stickers on things.
Can we get more good books? The Forest Book Shop programme should be launched.
Gareth will add a page to the website saying we are Book Swappers.
Ryan will google the Book Swapping constitution.
Jane will send emails asking people to bring good shit in.

Big G says “phase one complete!”

Getting into the zine trade.
What is available to trade? Everything.
For the highest class of publication, maybe we can ask the good people of cia for some things to swap. Otherwise we can will photocopy recipe books, submits and smallfrys.
We have a budget of £15 a month. We are going to subscribe to Nuts (the magazine) which is even cheaper than real nuts.
Dai will seek out zines and post them to the bb, and maybe spend all the £15 at once.
Ryan will look into literary magazines, maybe Magma, maybe the New Yorker.
Jane will draft a letter to see if we can get free subscriptions to any cool magazines.

How can we prevent people stealing magazines?
They should all be reference. Let’s not worry about that now.

Ryan has just declared war on Canada.

Forest Publishing

Ryan has started a writing workshops.
No militant dykes or gay poets will be invited.

Do we have any Publications?

c-i-a is dead. RIP Cruise.

Submit is on hiatus. Do we want to apply for a grant? We got turned down because we are not ambitious enough and the magazine is on low quality paper/production.
We should move submit into the virtual world. We could do crazy things with the technology of the future, like send the poem of the day direct to your mobile phone. “Content Provider” is the vernacular of the day.

Would the forest fund a quarterly literary magazine, properly bound? It would be sellable and look respectable. Once we had some we could ask the Scottish arts council for some money.
Ryan will found out how much it would cost to produce one.
Forest WG needs to ok it.
Jane will look in Ryan’s pigeonhole to find out how much ISBN numbers cost, then we will buy some.

We would like to sell more books. We will offer people the resource of printing things in the forest (with help) and using the forest publishing logo, and then selling them here. We will build up a catalogue of books and stuff. We will look at submissions and do things for people we like.
Jane will make a poster and Ryan will tell people he goes to school with.

Upcoming projects

By summer Ryan will have a new vanity publishing. We will give him £300 quarterly grant to tell people how to write.

What will our “mission statement” be?
We think:
Manifestos are better than platforms.
Ryan likes wearing platforms, because they make him look rugged.
Shannon thinks we should rename it “the womanifesto”
Pep Up The Turmoil

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:23 pm

buying or finding shelves is best + easy. (please dont buy new)

charity shops are good for this. (charity furniture. like bethany etc.)

best would be to get some the same size as the ones we already got, and i will extend them along the wall (covering part of the mural).

it is best to keep them off theground for usability...

xx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 pm

fuck that you bloody lightweightS! cia CAN't be dead: you still owe me back issues! what about the Allmighty CIA100 in 3d/virtual reality/outer-space? monkey will be very angry when he returns..........
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:08 am

re cia: that's thr rumor.

re: Isbn: info now in pigeon hole of gareth

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 am

i hope for your sake the rumour is unjustified! say, i never saw kgb days: what are the chances? dont make me call in the ost block mind police....!!
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

ravanwin

book swap

Post by ravanwin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:56 pm

very interesting stuff:

http://justlooking.recursion.org/2002/Dec/1

about book swap meetings and events!

and

http://book-swap.meetup.com/cities/gb/glasgow/

also about meetings

my research has shown that there is no place in Scotland (or the UK) that operates a purely physical bring a book type of swap:

there are online swaps:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006- ... ring_x.htm

and this seems to be the biggest online distributor of swapped books:

http://www.bookins.com

now, we have a book swap in my hometown but i can find no info. on it. so, i say we go it alone and make a page that says:

book swap, edinburgh so that when people google they know to come here and browse our books. ALSO, if we wanted to be very proactive we'd have a book swap event where you would meet other swappers.

anyway, we should get a book swap page up for the library soon.
anyone volunteering?

ryan

ravanwin

Magma Literary Magazine

Post by ravanwin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:00 pm

I vote for MAGMA to earn our subscription money.

1) it is ONLY poetry and debate so Nick can't get angry about the shitty fiction they publish.

2) it has a unique editorial structue

3) they have a comprehensive web site that looks very interesting to delve into.

here is the blurb:

Magma Poetry — a magazine dedicated to bringing you the best in contemporary poetry. Appearing three times a year, Magma is available in bookshops and can be ordered by post or online from Inpress.

Magma Online is the companion website where you can read a mouth-watering selection from the current issue (see below) and previous issues, get the latest news and views about Magma, and join in the debate on the forum pages.

here is the web page:

http://magmapoetry.com/

Here is the cost:

3 issues: 14.50

(cheaper than the edinburgh review)

can we buy a subscription, please?

beev

Post by beev » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm

yes. like it!

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:39 pm

yo. heres another on the bookswap-tip: http://www.bookmooch.com/
could be a good way to source stuff for the forest library.

Fils d'Abeille

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:34 pm

yoyo

went into work today and our newspaper display had changed to something bigger and uglier. The smaller slightly less ugly one is in the back. I'm not a 100% sure, but I suspect you'd be doing our manager a favour if we wanted to pick it up. Maybe not so good for books, but would be fine for magazines. I can take a few pictures when I'm in tomorrow. Could do with a little redecorating though.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:58 am

nice one fils. we'll have a look.

Jane

Post by Jane » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:44 pm

i also like magma. do it.
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Fils d'Abeille

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:41 pm

yoyo[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fils d'Abeille

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:44 pm

sorry... that was much bigger than expected. So there you go. Bit of an ugly piece of shit, and kinda battered in places. but it's free and maybe practical? If we want it, it's ours. The only bummer is it'll probably be a bitch to transport. Anyway, if there's any interest, let me know quickly so I can let the ol' boss know.