Toilet redesign ideas. Illustrator/Artist's wanted...

danny

Toilet redesign ideas. Illustrator/Artist's wanted...

Post by danny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm

I've posted this in the front of house too, cos I think it probably concerns both groups.
I was thinking it would be cool to have the toilets redone. Are there any kind of established rules about how long someone's decoration should get to stay up before someone else does something? They seem to be accumulating crap graffiti.
Anyway I have this image in my head of a wee picture for the back of a toilet door. Children's storybook style imagery. So a nice bold colourful fluffy hippy picture with a caption reading "The sun shines out of your arse". So the picture should be someone bending overwiping it, with rays of golden sunshine shining from the arsehole. I'm thinking rainbows, green meadows and bunnyrabbits....
If we could make it happen then we would need to repaint the loo too, as I don't think it would be in keeping with the design that's there already. Something sort of light shad would be nice.
I asked Magda about it, but she says she's busy. Are there any more talented illustrators out there I could collaborate with out there?
Possibly the other toilet could have a "hippy shit" theme with nice fluffy quotations about the peace and tranquility of your own little private moment on the bog.
I'd like to repaint the whole toilet in a light colour and do something
with the rest of it.
Some ideas:

Starting with white walls, I'd like to try something drawing inspiration from what Magda did with the paint pens on the table and with her exhibition in the gallery. So I would have a wee stash of paint pens secreted in a hidey place in Forest and myself and my collaborator/s would get them out just when we felt like it, and add something to the wall. It can be immensely satisfying building up something from wee lines. I love doodling. I love playing with stylised lettering and pieces of story too. I love cutting and pasting things too.
I have a massive pile of collage bits and bobs that I've cut out in a box in the house, I'd like to have the freedom to be able to paste bits from this to the wall as I felt like it. I have an old "Monster Manual" from my roleplaying days many years ago for example. That could be fun. Also got bits and pieces of Foresty material in there.
Comedy fairytale toilets anyone?..

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:40 pm

go for it. our toilits look like shit right now!

bill

Post by bill » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:58 pm

yeah sounds good. i had an idea also to paint the walls with chalk boardpaint?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:40 pm

chalk is an easy soloution to our terrible grafiti problem and well worth a shot

beev

Post by beev » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 am

shannon wrote:A small update: a guy called Callum came in to see about doing graffiti in the toilets. He was directed to us a couple of weeks ago and came in to see if we'd gotten any further with things. I haven't seen his art, but he seems like a decent young guy. I have his number and said we'd get back in touch with him.

He told me cans cost about £4 each. We'd probably need less than 10 cans + a couple buckets of emulsion. This will depend on how many colours we want. I said we weren't looking for tagging-type-stuff, though maybe that's not true? He seems keen.

Any ideas about how to proceed on this? A meeting? I don't actually have much time to devote to front of house and the group hasn't exactly been active... I'd be oh so happy for someone to take this on... Maybe visual arts wants to coordinate since they seem to be a powerhouse at the moment??
discuss

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:54 am

I like the chalkboard paint idea, and have seen it work well before. However, the fuckers can still use non-chalk items to make their message permanent. But this will happen no matter what we put in there.

bill

Post by bill » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:40 pm

maybees we chalk the toliets and the sink area is graffitteed with this callum geezer. shanon can you leave his number and i could give him a tinkle to see what he reckons.

we have a v.a meating next thursday at 6pm so we shall discuss it thar.

x

bill

Post by bill » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:49 pm

ok so VA team have decided to chalkboard paint both cubicles and let graff man do the sink area

objections below please.

this will happen soon if no objections

great!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:28 pm

i'd prefer only one toilet being chalk.

how's the talent on the graff man?

bill

Post by bill » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:00 pm

i dunno.

shall ring him and ask him to send some photos!