suggestion to improve the bb

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
jon

suggestion to improve the bb

Post by jon » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm

hello all you kids out there (those that read this at least),

i think that the forest bb is an excellent thing, but people do not use it, and my guess is because it is too tricky to navigate and there are too many features.

here is my suggestion to improve user-friendliness...

let's get rid of _all_ forums and instead just have one big one. this way the forest bb is more like the email lists, where we know that debates rage like forest fire! basically, the bb divided up into many forums as it is now is too difficult to navigate and would only serve a purpose if we were crowded with discussions. easy of access is all important. one click from the forest front page should bring you straight into the discussions. i think it is fine to have them all laid out in one long list that you can quickly scan and follow any interesting threads.

what do you think?

- jon

Danny

Forums

Post by Danny » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:31 am

I think 'the Forest speaks', was getting far too crowded with mails. Folk would find their mailboxes crammed with zillions of mails that didn't relate to them. I think this is far better.
I only just discovered this. I think it's much better

thehemulen

bb Vs forest speaks

Post by thehemulen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:44 pm

this is far better. but i disagree with danny, i think it easy nice and easy to use.

my action will be to send regular mails to the speaks say there is a bb on the website which one can look at if and when one wants to be informed....

Danny

Link Fixage

Post by Danny » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:55 pm

The links to the forum elsewhere on the site lead to dead ends, fixage required.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:47 pm

You're all mising Jon's point, and he's dead right. The forum is a great thing but it doesn't need a separate forum page for every possible topic. Just makes it more effort to find stuff. They would all naturally divide themselves into threads anyway. Needs flattened, too much hierarchy.

Fils d'Abeille

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Wed May 04, 2005 7:53 pm

ok, here's an idea... the layout is convenient for all the pseudo-hippies that just want to hitch a ride or find free stuff... which is fine...

couldn't we just have one forum or link which provides all posts arranged by date?
Alternatively, we could use the same functions available on the university forums where any individual user can navigate from a personalised index page to any unread messages... heck, maybe these utilities are already available and I'm just a twat...

anyway, I'm a poor little fool who still feels comfortable with a book... I have no idea of the hours of needless hassle implementing any of these ideas would entail...

The building opposite me has about 16 chimney shoots lined up in quick succession.. why?

Gandolf

many conversations

Post by Gandolf » Fri May 06, 2005 12:59 pm

I liken different topics to being in a space with different conversations and we're free to move around and join where we like. A single forum is like a meeting where we all listen to everyone, but many thoughts remain unsaid.

Nevadanteater

Post by Nevadanteater » Fri May 20, 2005 5:07 pm

the board is way too big. you do need the forum divisions, but not nearly so many.

-one for forest related stuff
-one for art related stuff (combine music/literature)
-one for off-topic stuff
-one trading forum (flatshare/free stuff/stuff for sale)

as the board grows you'll be able to split these up into more and more exact sections, but until then, less is more.
God is great.
Grass is gentler.

Nevadanteater

Post by Nevadanteater » Sun May 22, 2005 2:48 pm

rock on.

much better - easier to navigate and use. when more people come along, we'll be able to expand each depending on demand, but for now this is brilliant.
God is great.
Grass is gentler.

pogo

Post by pogo » Tue May 24, 2005 2:14 pm

thanks for the tips:)