8pm Film meeting

swithun

8pm Film meeting

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 am

The Film WG will have a meeting at 8pm on Monday 26th, before the film. We shall decide on some more films for the next month or so.

Also, it seems that during film night, the Forest is a dedicated quiet zone, which is good. Loud bands are asked not to use the Caves at this time. So the same should apply to people who feel the need to chant and stamp their feet in the gallery. What the fuck was that about?

Any other business?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 am

I think it was the choir. Apparently they got booted from upstairs because a band was booked by EUS.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 am

argh! they are so disrespectfull! someone should have spoken to them.

i suggested they do things quietly in the office, infoseed or gallery. so possibly this is my fault for offering any type of soloution.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:18 am

If they are too pikey to pay for their own care in the community, then they can, er, sing in the Meadows next time someone books the hall. I think Nick did talk to them on his way out. We looked in the events book to see if it was a booked event, but there wasn't anything.

monkey nuts

Post by monkey nuts » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Yes, I certainly did.

I advised them that Monday was not a good time for their kind of thing.

I said, 'Sorry to burst your bubble'

n

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Nice work, Mr N. I pity the fools.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 am

Minutes of meeting

Present: Duncan, Nick, Magda, Swithun

New films
We came up with a list of films to show, including all the ones that didn't get shown for various reasons:

March
Posession 5/3/7
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 12/3/7
Clue + Sleuth 19/3/7
Blue (Derek Jarman) 26/3/7
April
Scanners + Videodrome 2/4/7
Fear Eats the Soul 9/4/7
Near Dark 16/4/7
Enfants du Paradis 23/4/7
Henry Fool 30/4/7
May
House of Yes 7/5/7
Gospel according to St Matthew 14/5/7
Barry Lyndon / Dr Strangelove / Lolita 21/5/7
Curious Yellow 28/5/7

Of the Kubricks, I would choose Lolita. What does anyone else think?
If anyone has anything to say about these films and dates, speak now or forever hold your codpiece. They will go to Events in a few days.

Progress
On the good side, we have a better class of customer now. People know that Monday is Film Night (most people most of the time anyway), and we have less disruption. Putting the kitchen into hibernation/slow motion during the film helps, as does starting at 9pm (unless there is a long film/double bill), as we don't overlap with people wanting dinner.

On the bad side, we have been a bit crap at writing the films into the Events book. This has led to mix ups and people even writing their own film suggestions in the book.

Publicity
We need to come up with a sentence or two which will go on a leaflet which is to be left on tables to inform customers about what goes on at the Forest. This could be our mission statement, or something more fun. I will start a thread on this.

We will also provide an update on what we are doing which can go on the back of the events poster. I'm not sure what this could be really, as all we do are the events which go on the front of the events poster.

Upcoming film makers
We need to let up and coming film makers know that we would like to screen their films (if they are good). Magda will make a poster at some point.

Next meeting
We will meet the last Monday of every month at 8pm.
Last edited by swithun on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandolo

Post by Dandolo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:43 pm

yeah, let's have lolita. most have just seen the jeremy irons one. everyone's seen dr strangelove and everyone that would ever want to see barry lyndon has seen barry lyndon.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:34 am

Apparently the French Film Festival is on from the 19 April to 3 May. I've had a request to move Les Enfants du Paradis to after this, so I propose we swap it with House of Yes. Any objections?

Magda

Post by Magda » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Actually, I think The House of Yes could be shown as part of a Parker Posey double bill together with Henry Fool.

Let's go with Lolita.

Here are some blurbs for films:

Posession (Andrzej Zulawski): "I cheated on Sam Neill with a blob of pure evil."

Scanners+Videodrome (David Cronenberg): Two fine Cronenberg movies. Paranoia, science gone wrong and Debbie Harry.

Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow): One of the best vampire movies ever made.

Parker Posey double bill:

Henry Fool (Hal Hartley): About the poetry of ugliness.

The House of Yes: A black comedy about the repercussions of both incest and impersonating the Kennedys.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:38 pm

I've got the Lolita DVD.
I love the bomb.