mural: fun and games

Fils d'Abeille

mural: fun and games

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 pm

so,

it seemed from saturday's meeting, that despite a variety of feelings concerning the current mural in the main cafe, we all seemed to agree that it fails to create an appropriate image of the forest cafe. After many months of frustrated mumbling and grumbling on the subject we came to some kind of consensus. I may be wrong, but it seems there is still no mention of this on the bb.

Hopefully I can fill this gap. As far as I remember we hoped to give it a week, so that we could get in touch with Mikey so that he could record the project appropriately. Has anyone been in touch with him?

Next, what will go up in its place? Do we first white wash the wall? Does anybody within the visual arts working group know of anybody with any interesting ideas? Maybe Mikey has other ideas. In any case, I feel like we should get things moving and this should be discussed. Maybe this is being planned for the next visual arts meeting? yay, nay?

ok, I have to go deliver some chocolate

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:40 pm

I am pretty sure Gareth photographed the mural as part of the summer exchange. Gareth, is this true?

Chris, if you are reading this, can you mention the whole thing to mikey and double check there are no problems? I'll try to call on thurs. if nothing has been done.

I am glad to have the mural change.

I think it's in the hands of the VA WG unless anyone else has any ideas.

Did the library wanna claim some space?

Should we whitewash soon and let the photo wall begin?
r

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:41 pm

It was mentioned here:
http://theforest.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1861

Anyway...just do it! Photos were taken at the time.

What people can do right now:
Take down all paper
I think it will need at least 2 coats of white paint - because it is dark and the colours quite strong and if you want to lighten that wall this will be necessary.
So make sure you have a good supply of the right type of white paint.
Please take care of paint on the stage, floor and on the speakers - so get the sheets out. Make sure you clear the stage of equipment first.
Remove those flashing lights and put them somewhere safe.
Please don't touch the black on the lower walls or top section. That's still good.
Check and see if the cinema wall needs a fresh coat of white - if so you can do this at the same time.

I also think the red walls on the other side should be included in this, with the Hunting Fox going too. They look pretty tatty.

The library is going to expand along the wall at some point soon. Imagine one bookcase taking up space on the right hand side of that wall, and consider that in your mural plans...paint it for sure but don't put stuff there that will get covered up.

If you want to do mural please use good paint - not just dregs you can find in the workshop. Please don't use the exterior wall or wood paints, and definitely not the floor paint. Go to the shop and get some nice colours...

That's all I know. Happy muralation!

(I assume the no-tree rule applies though :wink: )
the more you think, the more you stink

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 am

this will be nice.
and you can get free paints from Peffer Paints if you call them up and ask them nicely about their surplus paints, they have a big store of them out back.
http://www.pefferpaint.co.uk/
Make sure to mention the charity angle etc...
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:09 pm

i take it this means there is not going to be a cia 100 mural?
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm

maybe not even a cia 100.

where are the editors?

i heard james was in tangier.

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm

i heard he was sat in a dark corner somewhere with peter currie
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

bill

Post by bill » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm

word! i've messaged mikey about it. i wanted to do some painting on that wall for quite a while.....got some ideas a brewing

we can discuss it proper style in the meeting tommorroe at 6pm!

fresh

bill

Post by bill » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Submit proposals for cafe mural to TK pigeon hole, TK email, or new Mural Submissions Box

peas

deadline 15th march

alice

mural

Post by alice » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:04 pm

At the visual art working group we decided to put out a call for mural proposals, the deadline being the 15th March when we will meet at 6 and discuss the submissions. hope this is ok