karaoke hire

swithun

karaoke hire

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:45 pm

There is a place in Edinburgh (Pegasus), that offers a karaoke hire package for 50 quid.

You get a karaoke disc player, disks, 2 mics and the appropriate cables. I imagine that we could hook these up to the projector and sound desk. The disc player and discs can be hired separately, but that comes to bullseye too.

You get about 500 songs on the discs, and they can't all be awful.

Is this a good price?

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:38 pm

This looks pretty sweet. guitar-a-oke.

Da da daa, da daa da da, da da daa, daa da da. The axeman cometh.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:39 pm

I think it's definitely worth £50. Is it possible to get anymore songs? Need to make sure it will work with out setup...

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Ryan was asking if we needed the player too. It looks like karaoke discs are not your usual DVD, but rather CDG (CD + graphics). So we would need the player too if we were to get these discs.

Or we could buy some karaoke DVDs from ebay, as we have all the rest of the kit. Do we want to own some karaoke DVDs, or is one night enough?

Added: I've asked on freecycle for karaoke DVDs. If we are lucky, people will drop them off at the cafe.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:51 pm

swithun wrote:S if you have no joy with this posting i have a normal dvd player that
S plays CDG'S and a collection of about 15 kareoke discs (my daughters)
S i would be willing to lend to you for the night as long as i was
S promised they would be returned safely and if damaged paod for.. i
S would deliver set up and then pick up the next day

Wow. This is a very kind offer. I'll see what the other people at the cafe
think, but I doubt we can get better than this. Can I ask what sort of
stuff is on the discs.

We were planning on holding the party at the beginning of April. I'll see
what else turns up, but your offer will be hard to beat. We would
certainly look after your equipment and make good any damage.
That was an email from a freecycler and my reply. If we go for this, can we offer this kind person a deposit for the kit or something so everything is safe as fuck? I suppose we could get some more CDGs from somewhere else, if we had the player. I'll find out what is on these discs.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:32 am

a deposit would be fine, sure.
where do you get these cds from?

doesn't our dvd player play EVERYTHING?

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Thanks. I'll let this person know we can stretch to a deposit if they want more than our good word. 50 quid?

I'll look into these CDG bad boys and how playable they are. I suppose the only way to see if our DVD player can handle them is to get hold of one.

As a challenge, anyone can make their own karaoke DVD by finding some film, finding an instrumental track, merging them and overlaying words on the screen and authoring it as a DVD track. How hard can it be? I intend to make a sing along Rammstein DVD. You have been warrrrrned.

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:45 am

The karaoke person will be down sometime late afternoon/early evening. They might need a hand unloading the stuff from their car. Then they might park somewhere and come back to explain how it all works. I think it will be just like a DVD player, but you never know. Do we have something nice to give them for helping out?

They sent me a list of songs they have and which CDGs they are on. If they don't bring down a copy, I can print one out. This will help people to choose a song to sing. There were a lot of Sugarbabes songs, but this is because they are lending their daughter's collection.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 am

some food