Let's get together and make stuff!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Danny

Let's get together and make stuff!

Post by Danny » Mon May 09, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi! I'm looking for a friendly constructive creative vibes to keep me motivated and making stuff. I'm into cutting and pasting, drawing and doodling, making music.. I really want to explore making books too, but don't have easy access to the software.
My friend David and me are going to make some posters to randomly cheer people up, when he gets back to Edinburgh in a week and I'm well up for meeting anyone who's into that sort of thing too!
Be in touch!
Danny

brianrandom

Post by brianrandom » Fri May 20, 2005 4:02 pm

i'm on for it

i will see if i can collect some nice postive slogans for you

Danny

Exploring themes over different art forms ... WASTED!!

Post by Danny » Mon May 23, 2005 12:49 am

Nice one dude!
Speaking of making things, I was wondered who might be up for exploring the " Wasted " theme of the Forest Writers Group over different art forms. I made a song in a reggae stylie on the theme, kinda about wasting time, and smoking weed. We also did one called " Happily Stoned ". Re-cycled art is another obivious good thing to explore the " Wasted " theme. I like the idea, that other artist's working together exploring the same theme could create something much bigger than the sum of it's parts.... I'm putting up ads in the Art college this week.
Wish I could put 'em up here, but they seem to get taken down, so it seems a bit like a waste of time.
It's kind of frustrating and a real shame. I have to prove to New Deal that I'm 100% committed to being professional about doing what I do and I feel the Forest would be a great way to meet people into the arts, since it says on the web-site that we believe that art is in everything.
Clearly some people don't believe this is the case, or they wouldn't have taken down the last poster.

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon May 23, 2005 11:56 am

drugs are illegal. i don't think the New Deal would approve...
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Nevadanteater

Post by Nevadanteater » Mon May 23, 2005 3:06 pm

what?!?!

drugs are illegal??!?
God is great.
Grass is gentler.

brianrandom

make a formal complaint

Post by brianrandom » Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 pm

put it in writing

you have good grounds to complain

the forrest is like a headless chicken so at times it appears elitist when in fact it is just suffering from chaos

"first to grab the speakers gets to use them" is hardly a respectful way to run events, especially to those who have booked gigs in advance

and as for taking down your posters, what kind of tossers are these?

what could possibly be their objection?

stressed out hippies would be an interesting subject matter for a satirical play

Fils d'Abeille

Re: make a formal complaint

Post by Fils d'Abeille » Tue May 24, 2005 6:52 pm

brianrandom wrote: the forrest is like a headless chicken so at times it appears elitist when in fact it is just suffering from chaos

give the chicken a head and you give it a mind to tear down posters and stick up its own.

guys, a lot of people have put a lot of effort into creating the space downstairs in the forest. As a result they care for that space.

Many of Danny's posters have projected a heavily individual perspective on forest life, events, and its direction. Nonetheless many of these posters are displayed in the name of the Forest; therefore supposedly reflecting upon the time and effort of others in the community.

The Forest should be a free events space but not one to be usurped. A display of such unilateral, agressive enthusiasm is therefore understandedly received cautiously.

From a critical perspective some might not agree with the focus of the proposed projects. How does the exploration of "wasted time" and "being wasted" turn waste from junk into "useful art" for instance?

Anyway, gotta make food,
sorry for the bluntness but this discussion is long, repetitive and above all hypocritical.

Jane

Post by Jane » Tue May 24, 2005 8:11 pm

i have taken posters down in the past because:

a. they were in the forest info section, which is principally for committee announcements.

b. they were in the workshops section but did not make sense.

c. they were advertising 'forest events' which were not in the forest, but in the bongo or people's flats, which misses the entire point of what the forest is.

d. places which are supposed to look nice were being bombarded by advertising. it is your personal view that cutting/pasting adverts makes them become art. i disagree. i find the pasting of capitalistic propogando on forest walls offensive.
Last edited by Jane on Wed May 25, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

chris

Post by chris » Tue May 24, 2005 8:29 pm

to correct some mis-understandings:

""first to grab the speakers gets to use them" is hardly a respectful way to run events, especially to those who have booked gigs in advance "

the pa in question was bought specifically for use in the 1st floor church hall. the pa that was bought for the cafe has been returned to the shop because it was rubbish (it broke all the time), so the downstairs cafe has reverted to its speakers pre-pa. This has effected all events in the cafe, currently we are not allowing noisy events untill sound proofing is resolved.

rather than throw stones at those who spend a lot of time making things, why not try to help in a productive way? when do either of these people volunteer?

currenlty we are building a boxing ring in the basement, all hippies and tossers can take on the moaners over three rounds.

incidently, he has put it in writing, these posts are all written in writing...

i will be be speaking to the new deal office at the job centre! ;)
Last edited by chris on Wed May 25, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

CUSPIDOR

Post by CUSPIDOR » Tue May 24, 2005 9:19 pm

lets just remember why the forest is the way the forest it is -

not down to a bunch of folk just deciding to get together and do stuff...

it is a well ORGANISED NON PROFIT ofganisation
no body should take offence or give abuse,
just respect the people who are breaking their backs to keep the show going
no body is against you...
work together and start talking rather than this silly argument via message board
it undermines the whole place
KEEP UP THE HARD WORK

chris

Post by chris » Wed May 25, 2005 1:48 am

cuspidor, how can we know who you are, if you not have a picture?

where is your picture?

there is light in this world, we need it to see the way.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

CUSPIDOR

Post by CUSPIDOR » Wed May 25, 2005 5:15 pm

chris

i like your choice of words
keep posting
going to paint a portrait of some kind tonight. should have it up some stage later
if life seems dull and rotton , theres something you ve forgotton...
always look on the bright side of life

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if it werent for the little things in life there woould be no big things

mark

Post by mark » Wed May 25, 2005 8:09 pm

i prefer to make things on my own. once i made a book, but they wouldnt publish it. i find working with people an unrewarding experience which dilutes the creative product. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL IT ON EBAY. that is what we should all be doing by the way.

as it says on the forest website:

"there is always something to do"

now i'm going to go and do it!

byeeeeee

beev

Turner Art Prize

Post by beev » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:55 pm

Yo,

Has anyone seen the nominations for the Turner Art Prize? One of them is a painter!!! Can anyone explain that???? Also, the dude Simon Starling bases his work on recycling!! These artists....crazy!

brianrandom

Post by brianrandom » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:13 pm

yeah ok i enjoyed the above caustic responses

my only bit of anger was regarding the oppostion Danny was facing in his creative endeavours

and yeah its been explained above why he had trouble,

i was wrong

i apologise to all i offended

loads of respect to those who are out there making the forest happen

yes i am not a volunteer, just a mere patron

so i suppose i'm really not even suppose to be here

fare thee well