Student Flats on the meadows - no deal!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Save the Meadows!

Student Flats on the meadows - no deal!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi, we're new on here, thanks for having us! Hope this post is in the right place. We're looking to get some direct action on the go - here's a short version of our rant about development on the meadows:

Big development company UNITE have been given planning permission to build a massive monstrosity of a building (student flats) right on the Meadows. This means cutting down trees, blocking out sunlight from existing tenement flats (ok, so I have a vested interest as my flat is one of the worst affected!), making the meadows look rubbish and potentially causing a backlash from groups who already believe there are too many students in the area - they're fighting to get the number of HMO properties in the area severely reduced, which could mean people eventually getting kicked out of their flats.

Here's a link to Tollcross community council's page on the subject, which includes the most recent plans for the building and the community council's objections:
http://www.tollcross.org/module-htmlpag ... 7.htm#txol

Here's my blog on the subject at myspace http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =133610472 (I hope that works, I'm assuming that's the public url for my blog?!)

Basically, we're looking for people to get on the case and fight this in as many ways as we can... Artists, environmentalists, activists and people who just like making a lot of noise and causing a stir, we're looking at you! Mail me back if you're up for getting on the case, or email lonsdale184@tiscali.co.uk

Cheers!
"People, not profit!

Community, not corporation!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

('scuse the cliche, our ranty pants are on...)

nix

Post by nix » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

support!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Why can't they just leave the meadows alone? aaaaaaggh
support!!
It's like God's vagina!

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks folks, we need all the support we can get to fight this corporate Goliath (pardon the Biblical ref...) We'll be looking to call a meeting on this in the near future. I'm thinking the Forest would be a good venue, yes? :)
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

lucky

Post by lucky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Book an open meeting in the Forest, it's easy. Just come in and ask in the kitchen.

I can't quite get the specifics of this planning in my head. It's weird. Hulking great buildings overshadowing the small space of Meadows we have.

Good luck A*
Bohnenflaschen!

mark

Post by mark » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:37 pm

i have always enjoyed that carpark. and yes i think it would be brilliant to extend the carpark across the whole meadows, like they did back in 2003 - glory days. like the day my father took me hawk hunting, but we couldnt find any hawks, and so our catapults were useless, and went unfired. all we could find was an eagles nest and all its eggs, these days i bet you can sell them on ebay and get a pretty penny.

that car park is so beautiful, it pains me that anyone would replace a carpark with homes for people. where will i park?
the pen is mightier than the word

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Ugh, This is terrible.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Susana

Post by Susana » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:38 am

For the love of all the gods of the Olympus....!! What else?

I would strongly recommend you get in touch with the group trying to stop the Caltongate development, SOOT (Save Our Old Town) They've been campaigning for quite a while and have acquired expertise on this. One of their core members is a town planner, which helps a lot. They even managed to get a grant to have their own space in St Mary's St and to carry out community research.

These are some of their sites:

http://www.eh8.org.uk

http://www.independentrepublicofthecano ... ogspot.com

Good luck.
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:57 am

Well thanks to all who realise that we're not complaining about the degradation of a car park... :roll: Yeah I will admit that, living in a flat which will have lots of its sunlight cut out by the development and will look out onto glass and metal every day where there should be trees, I have a wee bit of a vested interest, but really - I'm just upset that corporations seem to increasingly hold sway over community concerns, environmentalism, conservation and even aesthetics. I always thought of Edinburgh as being somehow 'above' this (pardon my apparent snobbery!) because it's so beautiful but apparently the council's planning department has been 'bought' by companies with the financial clout to tell concerned residents to shut the fuck up!

Student life is surely not about corporate babysitting but about nurturing independent thought - the privatisation of student life seems to me to be entirely contrary to the concept of university training (though far be it from me to pigeonhole all students as potentially independent, responsible and ethical people!)

But aye, clearly we just want to have a whinge about the car park being built on, now where on earth will we put our imaginary cars?!
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Post by Susana » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 am

You know that there is a real danger of Edinburgh losing its World Heritage title? Two cities in Europe have already lost it, Cologne and another one (I don't remember which one). And it appears that UNESCO have been making waves to remove it also from Edinburgh.

There are a few groups in the city contesting the council decisions on developments but at the same time it feels that most residents are not even aware or hardly register, never mind reacting, on what is happening to the city. I wonder if things like the money that SOOT managed to get for community research couldn't be put towards a massive campaign of information and awareness. I'll check it out with them. :?:

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 am

I think the main problem is the way the council hides the proposals away so as few people as possible see them. It should be on big posters around the city so people can read through the proposals and register their complaints or register their approval....wishfull thinking though!
It's like God's vagina!

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah there's definitely a problem in terms of lack of awareness - the planning dept appear to realise how unpopular they are and seem to try to hide as much information as possible from the public. They've resorted to playground tactics and personal vendettas against neighbours of mine who oppose the student flats. Anyway, I'm really worried about this prospect of Edinburgh losing its World Heritage status - surely that should be something people care about? Info campaign seems very necessary. I'll be in touch with SOOT as soon as I can to see if they can offer any advice/info. Oh and we'll be having an open meeting, 7pm on Monday at the Forest, to discuss what we can do to get ourselves heard... All welcome! x
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Please sign our petition!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethemeadows/

We'd really really appreciate it x
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I received this information from SOOT. You may be interested:

World Heritage Day 2008
Public Space: Public Value –
Scottish Storytelling Centre, Friday 18 April 2008, 2.00pm – 5.00pm
I would very much like to invite you to our seminar in celebration of World Heritage
Day. This special day, commemorated around the globe, offers the opportunity to
debate issues of world heritage and the mechanisms that are required to protect
and conserve it.
Our theme in Edinburgh is Public Space: Public Value, and its purpose is to explore
and debate the benefits that World Heritage status does or could bring to the city
and its citizens.
Speakers will include:
• Adam Wilkinson, Director of Edinburgh World Heritage
• Councillor Jenny Dawe, Leader of City of Edinburgh Council
• John Graham, Chief Executive, Historic Scotland
Places are free, but limited, and may be reserved by contacting us at
info@ewht.org.uk or telephoning 0131 220 7720.
I do hope you are able to join us and contribute to what promises to be a very
interesting afternoon.
Yours Sincerely
Professor Charles McKean
Chairman

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks for letting us know about World Heritage Day... I hope that there will be places left for some of us to go along as I think it'd be really useful. Well I hope to see some of you tomorrow evening at the Forest for our open meeting (plug plug!) :wink:
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Save the Meadows!

Post by Save the Meadows! » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who came to our Open Meeting and to the Forest for having us :D Give us a shout at lonsdale184@tiscali.co.uk if you want to be on our mailing list & weren't at the meeting or if we didn't get your email address. Cheers!
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Post by Susana » Fri May 30, 2008 11:48 am

You may be interested in attending tomorrow's EAR (Edinburgh at Risk) day:

""""""
A reminder of tomorrows event as part of The Canongate Project

Saturday 31st May 10-4pm Edinburgh At Risk Day

“Edinburgh is at greater risk than it has been since the 1960`s”
Conservation Architect James Simpson OBE (ICOMOS newsletter Spring 2008)

James will be speaking at 11am on his concerns for the city and it`s World Heritage Status.

Come and find out what’s going on in the city of Edinburgh and its surrounding areas. Have you got concerns about proposed developments, demolitions of buildings, disappearing green spaces and management of Common Good Land and Assets? Don’t know what to do? Come and meet others who have concerns and find what they are doing.

EAR was founded by a number of Edinburgh campaigns in 2007 and is a non-political umbrella organisation open to all who value the city’s communities, culture, history and her future. Campaigns involved so far include Save Our Old Town, Save Meadowbank, Orroco Pier (South Queensferry), Porty Greenkeepers, and Save Glenogle Baths.

Come along to The Canongate Project shop at 8 St Mary’s Street, just off The Royal Mile. Stay for entire day or drop in at whatever time suits you. Films, workshop&/or discussions

Sally

http://www.eh8.org.uk
""""""

amelia

reducing the meaadows

Post by amelia » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:31 am

reduction in all green spaces is occuring world over. Would've been earmarked for something wayback. Here in Australia councils use 'golf course' for the 'avail for accom later' technique tho I believe Victoria has wised up to this.
And the fact that it is student accom. Consolidating the low cost accom to make avail higher cost accom elsewhere - where ? Where the current flats now are ?
Legislation to protect green spaces such as the meadows is required and new wording needs to come into play and be realized as there is little to none avail to protect any of it now.

realization for health purposes.
We are what we feel after all. Our feelings directly influence our health and we are in global health crisis. But what of this when it is an economy booming industry. Illhealth = $$$. How to get the meadows to make money - yeah decline in city value is the way...and legislation that is forward thinking. Is that an oxymoron...
What of that Walled garden that is acknowledged for it's health benefit ? It must be protected/labelled as something on paper. Yes I know it was once private land but The Meadows can have a wall put around it and be community health space. :idea: :?: :!:

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm

I just tried to go to the building proposal website and this computer warned that it was being virused. Any clues as to why?